Reviews for Professor Burbage and the Potions Master
Metropolis Kid chapter 6 . 10/14/2009
So... Um... Is Snape this Voldemort? I mean if they can change their appearance to look like other people? Er, I'm probably just being paranoid again. But then, "Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't really out to get ya." :P

Also, I find it kind of strange that in a whole school of wizards and witches no one has any knowledge in the art of necromancy? O_o I mean, they found the kid what - ten minutes after he'd died? And they couldn't bring him back?

I'm assuming that since it involved one of the tournaments what happened there was HP canon, but I'm just wondering if it was ever explained. I mean is necromancy a forbidden 'school' of magic in the HP world? Just curious.

Well, now, what to say about this chapter? It wasn't funny or lighthearted, but it was still enjoyable and interesting (though provoking even... or at least Question raising). And it was good of Charity to stay behind with the students when the rest of the teachers rushed forward. The poor kiddies needed someone. That gal's aptly named. :P

So anyway, YES I wanted one of the kids to die... but I WANTED it to be Krum! HMPH

Well, have a good night, and God bless.

Metropolis Kid chapter 5 . 10/13/2009
Well, my thanks to Professor Moody. That squid repeatedly throwing the children into the air was the funniest scene in this story so far. Oh, I could just picture that, especially with the "That section of the lake became a blur of orange, purple and tropical green, punctuated by terrified screams and violent splashes." sentence. (That was a VERY nice, descriptive sentence.) :) You know, I'll bet the kids would've enjoyed it too - if they hadn't been so terrified. :P LoL

Okay, so that may have been the FUNNIEST part, but the return trip to the lake was just as enjoyable. I really liked hearing about all the strange creatures and how much fun the little mages had exploring underwater without their magic. :)

I'm glad that you didn't spend too much time focusing on the second challenge. Though I was pleased to discover that at least it didn't have anymore dragon harassing, it did sound rather boring. But, luckily, not much time was wasted on it. :)

I also found the short scene about the ghost in the bathroom rather cute. It was short... but sweet, with her first being happy for the extra company... but then wailing and retreating up a spout when one of the kids said something derogatory about her floating. Poor ghost, but a cute, little scene none-the-less. ;)

The ending between Charity and Snape was nice too. Poor Charity, starting out all mad at him for endangering her students and then ending up thanking him for saving their lives. Why do I get the feeling he's not exactly use to being thanked?

Finally, the little mages departing comments were very natural. Different things from the field trip stuck out more with different students, and a few of the boys even mimicked Snape's rescue of their fellow class mates. :)

So, in closing, let me just say that this was a very fun and enjoyable chapter - probably my favorite one so far in this fic (though, with 23 chapters still to go, there's plenty of time for an even better one to come along). :D

Metropolis Kid chapter 4 . 10/12/2009
Nazi Germany! I wonder if the kid's studies included a pudgy little Major and two 'teenage', 'British' agents sent in to put an end to his nefarious scheme. :P

That was a pretty cute chapter, what with the washing of the dishes and everything. What do you know, the little mage's actually enjoyed it. I wonder how they'd feel if they had to do that everyday though, might not be as much fun then. :P Although, I suspect that the fact they were doing the dishes with the rest of their class, rather than all alone, probably helped to. I do find it curious that Charity never mentioned that the humans may not have had elven slaves, but they did build mechanical machines to help them out with dish washing. O_o Well, maybe that would've muddied the lesson – that humans had to do things themselves. But still, if the goal is to educate the kiddies in human lifestyle, I think the washing machines should've at leas got an honorable mention. :P Even still, cute chapter. :)

I'm afraid I've run into another snag though. Why would it matter if the little mage's wrote reports on that Voldemort guy? I mean they must already know about him since they chose to use him in their reports (that comparison wasn't a requirement of the essay; they could've gone with someone else). But they chose him, so they had to already know of him. So the issue couldn't have been Charity teaching the kids something that was forbidden. So, WHY were the parent's all bent out of shape about it? And why demand that she destroy the essays? I'm sure it's just some HP canon thing that I don't know, like Hagrid's orders not to use magic last chapter. But, well, I think I'd understand this better if you could tell me what the big deal was.

And finally, 'twas funny to picture Snape holding the bunny, much to their mutual displeasure. :) LoL The mage should count himself lucky that he came out of the encounter without permanent disfiguring – like the last love interest who met up with a bunny in one of your fics. :P

Metropolis Kid chapter 3 . 10/11/2009
Well, I'm sorry to say you were right. I didn't like this chapter as much as the last two. However, that's not to say that I didn't like it; quite the contrary, I enjoyed it – just not as much as the last two. The thing was I had a harder time following this one. Why isn't Hagrid allowed to use magic? (Did I miss something in one of the previous chapters?) Who are the Weird Sisters? (Students? Teachers? Ghosts? Paid performers?) What's Quidditch (though I gather it's some sort of sport)? What is exploding snap? (sounds like a game that might involve shaking up carbonated drinks. O_o Oh, is it a drinking game?)

Still, despite not knowing a lot of what was going on, I did enjoy the chapter (and I'm sure your other readers won't have the same problem). My two favorite parts were the tree decorating at the beginning (because, well, that just brought a smile to my face) and the conversation with Snape at the end. Actually, the Potion Master's lines and attitude – though certainly NOT his demeanor - reminded me a little of Doctor House. :) BTW: That's a good thing. And I liked the little banter between Charity and 'Mr. Grinch'. :P

The rest wasn't bad either. The conversations and interactions of the various characters were all pretty enjoyable. I just didn't understand some of the things going on.

Metropolis Kid.

PS. “She looked rather like a shiny, new snowflake floating into the ball.” Oh, great, while not quite over the line here (IMO), this is giving my flashbacks to that comment in BITE – I wanted the “Snow to meet its match.” A-h-h-h-h-h-h-h! Make it stop! Make the flashbacks stop! :P LoL
Metropolis Kid chapter 2 . 10/10/2009
The cleaning part was very amusing. In fact I was smiling the whole way through. I especially liked the bumbling knight and the portrait of ladies, though for SOME reason I got the weirdest feeling of deja vu at that part ;).

So... is that custodian guy really a normal human? You didn't mention him using any magical tricks and he doesn't seem overly found of the mages? :O Probably not, but that's what I'm guessing at this point.

Slight nitpick: “Cedric Diggory for Hogwarts, a handsome Hufflepuff boy much admired by most of the girls in the hall.” I don't think this is worded quite right. With the other student you put the short description near their, but here you have it following the name of the school. So it sound as if Hogwarts is a handsome Hufflepuff... ect. While not terribly confusing, I did have to reread this for it to make sense. So, well, you be the judge. :P

As for the history lesson: If the Greek games weren't enough to get the student's blood pumping, Charity could've tried the Roman arenas. Now those contests, if she went into enough description, would be sure to grab the student's attention... the boys at least. We all know how boys love to hear tales about warriors, death battles and bloodshed. LoL

Okay, is it bad that, throughout the dragon egg... thing, I kept routing for the dragons – especially with that Krum fellow (was REALLY hoping he'd get eaten). Well, I've always preferred dragon's over mages anyway (grew up watching Pete's Dragon, you know). Anyway, I think the competition was my least favorite part of this chapter. With four contestants at least one of them should have gotten eaten. Hmph.

The ending was interesting though. Was that dog really a shape shifter of some sort? A student perhaps? Didn't you once tell me that one of the students could turn into a dog or a wolf... or something?

Anyway, it was another enjoyable chapter. :)

Metropolis Kid chapter 1 . 10/9/2009
Okay, to sort of 'make up' for my last review. I decided to give this a shot, can't promise I'll finish... since I really have very little interest in the lives of a bunch of mages living at a school for magical folk. But, then again... I don't have much of an interest in sparkly vamp-... 'night stalkers' either, and I did read all through BITE. Anyway, on with the review.

I'm not sure if this Charity character is an OC or a canon character who your using, but I already like her... despite the fact that she seems to have a slight chip on her shoulder (thinking of the homeless women as “hags”. I'll admit, I was dubious at first, but I think the names of those articales are what tipped the scales in her favor – “Duct Tape – Who says Muggles Can’t Work Magic!” was just great! :) And it reminds me a little of one of my favorite Christian T-Shirts (“Humans use Duct Tape to fix everything... God used nails.”). ;)

I also enjoyed your descriptions quite a bit. They were nicely detailed and, although I once again have no idea how many of the core ideas (IE talking photos and entering rooms through decorations) were your own and how many were from the canon material, I had no trouble following along – considering how strange that school is and that I have no previous knowledge of it, thats quite a testament to your writing. ;)

I also found your description of the first few days of class rather entraining. I especially liked the part about the pencil sharpener, how once the kids stopped subconsciously keeping their tips sharp they were all so anxious to use the strange devise (to the point of actually giving their teacher a headache). :) And yay for you actually commenting on how history CAN be interesting this time! :D

I will admit that the flattering description of Charity AND the cat calls when she was introduced seemed a tad self indulgent (assuming that this is an OC). I think one or the other would've been plenty to get your point across. However, I won't mark her down as a 'Mary Sue' since she doesn't carry most of the other traits. In other words from what I've read so far, she isn't overly intuitive, nor does she constantly command everyone's rapt attention. She's also not above being startled by some of the strange happening in the school, AND her pet bunny's (yet, another bunny!) got no flames coming at of his orifices! LoL ;)

So, anyway, not sure I'll continue; but it was a nice first chapter. :)

EvelynWatsonx chapter 28 . 7/24/2009
Excellent story

but so SAD .. oh so sad *sniffs*

Why can't they be together? I love how you incorporate the real events to your story but I just wish they'd end up together.

Maybe because I hate sad endings heh... I'll look forward to a good ending ss/oc story from you ;)

Thanks again.
Master of the Boot chapter 28 . 1/30/2009
I can't honestly think of a better way to finish this story. Harry sure as Hell didn't like Snape, but he was man enough in this to put aside his feelings and do right by Snape and Charity.

Anyways, you've done good by Charity, by Snape and by JK Rowling. I think you have an understanding of her works like few other Potter writers do.

Anyways, it's been a hell of a run.

Master of the Boot
Master of the Boot chapter 27 . 1/30/2009
The reason that I liked this chapter was because it really solidified the level of loss and destruction that the community has suffered. Not only loss, but also what survived was highlighted in this chapter.

Good bible quote by the way.

Master of the Boot chapter 26 . 1/30/2009
Hmm, this subplot is growing very interesting. It seems that there is more to those book marks than meets the eye.

You've got a typo though, you say that they are talking over tea and spotted dick. Do you mean wishes or am I missing something.

Charity is still great, surrounded by friends but still alone in some ways. Poor dear girl.

I thought her attitude on the castle was very mature. Proud that the place is still standing. Hell, I bet that the Major and his army of FREAKs could run amok in that place and it'd still stand.

MAster of the Boot
Master of the Boot chapter 25 . 1/30/2009
Lion in the land, foxy mamma, you never cease to amaze me. This chapter was incredible, not least of all for your characterization of Harry. There is a quote from Star Trek, "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man." That quote fit your characterization of Harry perfectly. He and charity both being interviewed was just beautiful.

And so cleverly you put in here that Snape has once more hurt charity. Now she can do magic, but she's been hurt once more. My heart went out to her, meanwhile her mom bitches about that Reporter being a possible lesbian.

On with the show my lady.

Master of the Boot chapter 24 . 1/30/2009
I actually really liked this chapter, as if that means anything. I've liked all your chapters.

The bit with the deathly hallows was very engaging. I rather have to say that I enjoyed your retelling of the legend. Now I know what Xenophilius was on about. Amazing isn't it that Hermione, the so called genius, merely brushed off the the legends of the Hollows (I think). Luna and her pappy truly have much more open minds than Hermione.

I also caught the Joke about a book preparing the non magical community for unity with the magical community. A subltle joke but I caught it.

And now Charity is with child. To be honest I tried not to think about what Snape and Charity had done. Truth be told Snape should have been beaten with two by fours by seven Gypsies for his transgression. Oh well, I sort of like him now.

Moving on then.

Master of the Boot chapter 23 . 1/30/2009
I'm sure the female crowd got a real kick out of Charity and Snapester's lovin scene, but it was other matters that got my heart tickled.

That thing at the start where Charity just gets back and Snape is pissed off. On the one hand I'm like "Bastard, woman's gotta be free once in a while." On the other hand I'm like, "Come on Charity, it's only because he cares."

Good work getting across what Snapester thinks of Harry.

Master of the Boot chapter 22 . 1/30/2009
This chapter just had such a great surprise for me.

The moment in the meusuem was great. The subplot with the ladies in the room and the camoflaged tower. Even Dumbledore didn't know all the secrets that Hogwarts housed, which was part of what was so appealing about the place. Also, little Freddy reminded me of Hermione. To tell you the truth I kind of understand Hermione and Freddy, I was always that kid with his hand permenantly raised.

I was reading the part about Paris when I thought to myself, "This thing needs a vampire." Then I had a delightful image of Alucard telling Charity about all the hideous crimes that happened in Paris.

Then lo and behold, you deliver one vamp. I didn't even suspect until she mentioned the church to him. A real treat that one was.

Master of teh Boot

PS: I bet you wished you had read Hellsing before writing this story.
Master of the Boot chapter 21 . 1/29/2009
One of the things that fanfiction does is that it allows us to have our most beloved characters do things that they've never done before and probably will never do. Who knew that Snape kept cocoa on his person?

Anyways, I like how when Charity is alone she has a habit of talking to herself. This serves a similar function to Tony and his therapist as well as Greek plays and the muses. It's a totally welcome design if I do say so myself.

The moment with Snape, when she started to ask after his past, was the most emotionally charged moment so far int his story. I like how she compared herself to the long dead woman.

You paint Snape as kind of a tragic character. I'm starting to warm up to him, but I'd still enjoy seeing Alucard throw Snape into a burlap sack and swing him around, destroying all the displays at Ikea.

174 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »