Reviews for Of Rowan and Ruin
Confessions of a Short Girl chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
This was so cute! Sad, but cute. I always love Gimli/Legolas friendship stories because they remind me so much of ym friend and I
Deranged Reviewer chapter 1 . 8/3/2011
I want to thank you for writing this. I have been reading fanfiction for nearly 10 years and never before has a story made me cry nor moved me like this one did. I have read many stories and very few get me to tear up but NEVER has a story actually made me cry before.

When a story moves you so much, you find it very hard to criticize anything about it and ultimately that is how I view this story. I write this very rarely, but your story is perfect. This is one of the greatest stories of friendship I have ever read in my entire life, fanfiction or otherwise.

I think Tolkien would be very proud of the work that you did. You managed to shape out Gimli and Legolas more vividly in a single oneshot than the many stories on here with multiple chapters. I love the themes that you write about: Friendship, love, brotherhood, the passage of time (which was nicely woven with the rowan tree metaphor btw), loss, grief, death etc. I am also glad for the mention of the friendship between Faramir and Legolas. So few have realized it in fanfiction but it really strikes a chord especially with the way Legolas is trying to come to terms with mortality. I also loved the subtle politics that you threw in and that you mention that their friendship couldn't have been favorable for their respective clans given the history of the elves and dwarves and their fading races.

There are so many things I wish to commend you on but I fear that this review and too long already nor do I have the time to commend about everything I like. I might as well copy your entire story in my review. If there is one more thing I must mention, I must mention the ending.

"If I am the reason you tarry, then I can also be the reason you leave!"

"Gimli—"

"And I say to you that you must leave! I will not have your blood on my hands! You cannot ask that of me!"...But they were a failing people, and in defiance of this, they were stepping away from the world around them. And in so doing, they were also stepping away from Gimli, for he could not follow. In a sense, both he and Legolas had become things of the past, clinging to a friendship that had outlived its time."

Simply wonderful. And I love the open endedness of this. If I recall, Tolkien only mentions that the two friends sailed to Valinor. He never actually mentions if they reached it. But in my heart, and I think Tolkien would have wanted it too; I will always think that they did indeed reach the Undying Lands together. Thank you again for such a wonderful piece! Now excuse me while I go dry my tears.
Fiorenza chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
This is a beautiful story of a great friendship. I love the characters, the rowan, and how you deal with the sea-longing and the distrust of their separate peoples.
Enna Namo chapter 1 . 6/10/2011
It is the deep understand those two have for each other that makes their friendship so beautiful.
Mkitkat chapter 1 . 4/24/2011
I love the deep understanding that Gimli has of Legolas. I also love that you told it from his perspective it was nice to read it written like that. And I like the way that you have little tidbits of Gimli slowly becoming a stranger to his family and his race. And all of the little political things in there to him. I love the depth of friendship that you put in there :)
cereajeb chapter 1 . 3/21/2011
Absolutely amazing. It has been some time since I first read this, but I still consider it one of the best stories on this site.

There are too many things I loved to list them all, but I think the passage of time element is what really stood out for me. I also like the inclusion of so many characters - it made the story feel more authentic, more like a chronicle of their lives. I wish I could find better words to describe how much I enjoyed this.

Again, spectacular job. Thank you for sharing with us.
kspadawan chapter 1 . 1/5/2011
This is absolutely beautiful and masterfully written. I was quite upset when it was over! :j
S chapter 1 . 12/28/2010
What an awesome story! I laughed, I cried, and I didn't even have to kiss three bucks good-bye (Hardware Wars).

Seriously, though. It was an awesome friendship story, and bringing in the rowan tree to symbolize that friendship in a changing world is wonderful.

The characters are well-drawn, motivations are there, and it is pulled together so nicely.
Eavis chapter 1 . 11/27/2010
Beautiful.
ShimmeringWater chapter 1 . 10/1/2010
Wow! Superb.
Alaenor JS-XIII chapter 1 . 7/9/2010
I teared up a little. This was wonderful! The relationship between Legolas and Gimli doesn't get nearly enough attention in this fandom. Thank you for writing this.
Riniel chapter 1 . 3/7/2010
I loved his story! I loved how you used the tree as a sort of metaphor for legolas and gimli! Pure genius!
Emily chapter 1 . 3/4/2010
By the Valar, that was intense beyond belief! How do you do it?

Hmm. On second thought, perhaps I don't particularly want to know. However you work your magic, it works. I like how the rowan tree not only depicts the passing of time, but also (in some ways) the willingness and ability of Legolas to resist the call of the sea. Metaphorical, if you will.

I found the scenes of grief so very touching- I almost cried as well. When Gloin and then Faramir and then Aragorn died, I thought all our hearts would break. This story is a hard reminder that good things always pass, and things must either change or fade. And, in the end, can we truly grieve for what we left behind?

'"They are leaving," Legolas hissed, his hands seizing Gimli's arms in a bruising grip. "All of them! The harder I grasp, the faster they slip away!"'

Oh, giddy Gandalf, angst of the worst kind. I don't know how you bear such thoughts running through your head! Once again, I don't want to know. In any event, thanks for a great story. I loved it, even if it did make me want to cry.
Virodeil chapter 1 . 1/3/2010
A bittersweet, nice fic. I would not say it is short, but it is not long either, and it suits me well. :) The parallel between the lifetime of the rowan tree and those of the duo's friends was only discernable towards the end, but that only heightened the impact on everyone. The slowly-changing communities of Dwarves and Elves marked the passage of time poiniently, and their fading-race problem too. Both the atmosphere and the movement of time and era could be felt strongly here, even without effort. Again, you did well in constructing the story. The friendships the duo twined with others only supported how theirs endured instead of weakening it, and it strengthened their characterisation too. The humor and moments of levity scattered in here did well to balance the piece, placed in strategic places too. :) Good job overall, Thundera! Hmm. But might I have a moment to coax you to write about the duo's sailing to the Undying Lands and settling down in Valinor as glimpsed in your other fiction - Beyond the World, if I am not mistaken? ;)

- Rey
Fan81981 chapter 1 . 11/26/2009
I don't have words to decribe how I feel right now after reading this story - my throat it tight and I am afraid I shall start weeping at work.

This was stunning - and this is no empty flattery. This sparked so many thoughts and kept me reading. I am going to finish up work and go back and re-read this.

Both Gimli and Legolas were so mature, so real. I don't think I can really explain except to say thank you for writing this.
85 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »