Reviews for Of Rowan and Ruin
Alaenor JS-XIII chapter 1 . 7/9/2010
I teared up a little. This was wonderful! The relationship between Legolas and Gimli doesn't get nearly enough attention in this fandom. Thank you for writing this.
Riniel chapter 1 . 3/7/2010
I loved his story! I loved how you used the tree as a sort of metaphor for legolas and gimli! Pure genius!
Emily chapter 1 . 3/4/2010
By the Valar, that was intense beyond belief! How do you do it?

Hmm. On second thought, perhaps I don't particularly want to know. However you work your magic, it works. I like how the rowan tree not only depicts the passing of time, but also (in some ways) the willingness and ability of Legolas to resist the call of the sea. Metaphorical, if you will.

I found the scenes of grief so very touching- I almost cried as well. When Gloin and then Faramir and then Aragorn died, I thought all our hearts would break. This story is a hard reminder that good things always pass, and things must either change or fade. And, in the end, can we truly grieve for what we left behind?

'"They are leaving," Legolas hissed, his hands seizing Gimli's arms in a bruising grip. "All of them! The harder I grasp, the faster they slip away!"'

Oh, giddy Gandalf, angst of the worst kind. I don't know how you bear such thoughts running through your head! Once again, I don't want to know. In any event, thanks for a great story. I loved it, even if it did make me want to cry.
Virodeil chapter 1 . 1/3/2010
A bittersweet, nice fic. I would not say it is short, but it is not long either, and it suits me well. :) The parallel between the lifetime of the rowan tree and those of the duo's friends was only discernable towards the end, but that only heightened the impact on everyone. The slowly-changing communities of Dwarves and Elves marked the passage of time poiniently, and their fading-race problem too. Both the atmosphere and the movement of time and era could be felt strongly here, even without effort. Again, you did well in constructing the story. The friendships the duo twined with others only supported how theirs endured instead of weakening it, and it strengthened their characterisation too. The humor and moments of levity scattered in here did well to balance the piece, placed in strategic places too. :) Good job overall, Thundera! Hmm. But might I have a moment to coax you to write about the duo's sailing to the Undying Lands and settling down in Valinor as glimpsed in your other fiction - Beyond the World, if I am not mistaken? ;)

- Rey
Fan81981 chapter 1 . 11/26/2009
I don't have words to decribe how I feel right now after reading this story - my throat it tight and I am afraid I shall start weeping at work.

This was stunning - and this is no empty flattery. This sparked so many thoughts and kept me reading. I am going to finish up work and go back and re-read this.

Both Gimli and Legolas were so mature, so real. I don't think I can really explain except to say thank you for writing this.
Conser chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
This is a fantastic, beautifully written story. I felt real weight and power behind the words. The rowan was a wonderful metaphor, and you build Gimli and Legolas' relationship with deep feeling.
saxgirl42 chapter 1 . 5/23/2009
Oh my Lordy, this was WONDERFUL. God, you're a brilliant writer. I envy your greatness. You capture these characters better than I could ever dream, and I love each and every one of your stories.

But this one... the metaphor of the rowan tree and the cliffside is brilliantly done, and I don't think I've ever gotten so emotional while reading a story on this site. Please keep writing! You are an inspiration, and I thank you for sharing your stories with us!
Tia Paes chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
This is a glorious story. Thank you for sharing it with us!
Dimaranien chapter 1 . 5/11/2009
This story is powerful, and i like it.

The most powerful thing, i feel, as when Legolas snapped. His fall and his grief really struck home, and i was moved. "They are leaving, all of them! The harder i grasp, the faster they slip away!" honest, blatant, and so very mortal. It seems a very fun (well, for writers) conundrum for the elves to experience the mortal fears and hurts. They think themselves stone-cold to such things, and yet they are more vulnerable because they feel so deeply.

I am also a fan of the fact the these two are oddities in among their kin. They think outside of the box. Being labeled a strange one myself by several people (i often get strange looks, and most people try to slink away, lol.), it made them a little more um... relatable. I like oddities. They are almost permanently adolescent with their 'Im Weird" mindset, but more mature (if you get my meaning, lol). Very hard to write, i feel, and you did a solidly good
Selador chapter 1 . 4/29/2009
Very heartfelt. I was nearly tearing up at some parts.
yamina-chan chapter 1 . 4/17/2009
While reading this, I felt a lot.

Happiness, Sorow, Anger, Merriment and Relief.

Again I must say, that you write Storys that are worth to remember.

Every time I read one I think: "Now THAT is the best I read so far" and always I think the same about the next one. Though, I think it is hard to figure out, which is realy the best since they all are great as far as I know.
KyMahalei chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
This is one of my all time favorites. I enjoy your writing so much!
Littlefish chapter 1 . 4/1/2009
Ah. I absolutely love it! I think I have said this before, but I still believe you are the absolute best author when it comes to portraying the friendship between Legolas and Gimli.

I loved the running analogy of their friendship with the Rowan tree. How did you come up with that?

Another wonderful story. Thanks for sharing!
M. Carwright chapter 1 . 3/11/2009
Good gracious me that was beautiful. Made me cry actually. I'm still crying darn it.
Taryn Streambattle chapter 1 . 2/17/2009