Reviews for Of Rowan and Ruin
asdfjkl chapter 1 . 10/22/2008
i love how you've portrayed both legolas and gimli-very well done!

keep writing!
Starset chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
A lovely story - it made me hapy and sad at the same time.
pippinwitch chapter 1 . 10/20/2008
Truely outstanding. The sheer force of emotion and grief in this piece made me want to weep.

Your work, as always, is inspirational.
Belphegor chapter 1 . 10/17/2008
And we all know (wildly hope?) that "death for both of" them wasn't their fate :) Thank you for this incredible story - I say incredible because even though it spans so many years it never feels long and the rhythm never dwindles. Nor do you make important parts shorter than they ought to be. The rowan tree was a subtle, excellent touch: at first it represents the rather usual metaphor of friendship as a tree that grows and expands, but through the story there are other, sadder touches, like the relationship between wood and rock - one has to exist at the other's expense to survive, and the rock finally crumbles beneath the tree, which one day has to give in, too (in this case, after a bolt of lightening, which I hope is not too far-fetched to compare to the blow of Aragorn's death).

No, friendships (or at least friends) are not immortal, in spite of what we tend to think. Neither is rock or wood immortal. You convey the inherent sadness about the fact beautifully, like the mentions of the Sea Longing - it's sad, yes, melancholy also, but never soppy. In my own personal Thundera Tiger Favourites List I place this piece right up there with "Beyond This World" in the "funny twisting feeling in the pit of your stomach" category. Plus there's some really funny parts, too, and that's always *very* good :o)

Again, thanks for a really good moment in front of the computer, and sorry for the delay in commenting!

Much of love,

Belphegor :o]
agape chapter 1 . 10/13/2008
This was magnificent. It was noted over at Leaf and Stone and so I looked, loving a good Legolas / Gimli tale.

Excellent - absolutely excellent. I was most grateful thatt there were times too when I was forced to smile!

Thank you!
JastaElf chapter 1 . 10/13/2008
THAT was wonderful. Building the tale around the Rowan tree was a superb idea-thank you SO much for sharing this heartfelt, beautiful tale with us! The characterizations are so strong... and I could even come to like Otin with time. *grin*

Thank you!
Elfinabottle chapter 1 . 10/12/2008
This was incredible. Totally heartbreaking, yet full of hope and joy at the same time. Tolkien always mixed pain and joy, and you've matched him in this story. Quite an achievement.

I've read many LOTR stories that gave me pleasure, but there have been few that really moved me. This is one that did.
Nieriel Raina chapter 1 . 10/12/2008
Oh my! *wipes tears* Oh, I knew from the start it was going to be a moving, serious fic, but deliciously good! And so it was. I like the style, too! Different for you, but it works really well.

Well done! Not that I expected less, but pats on the back all the same. :) This one is sure to be a favorite.

*standing ovation*
TheHouseOfTheGoldenFlower chapter 1 . 10/12/2008
You are an absolutley amazing writer. Wow. Just... wow.

bethellie chapter 1 . 10/12/2008
You are an amazing writer. I am sure you have been told this before, but it can use repeating.

Gimli and Legolas' friendship is such a powerful thing in the books, and you captured that in this. There were several parts that in particular stood out for me, in particular the scene where Legolas mourns Faramir, and his reference to those around him slipping away. Beautiful. Sad, but beautiful.
Silivren Tinu chapter 1 . 10/12/2008
I can only say I love the way you write Legolas and Gimli's friendship. This story was amazing - beautiful, sad, funny, touching, and many things more, just like the friendship it describes. The rowan tree was a wonderful symbol for that friendship, and also for two people, of which one is dwindling and the other fading. The fate of the dwarves and the elves always saddens me (since reading LotR, I'm suffering from a Grey Havens trauma :P). I loved that the friendship between Legolas and Gimli is such a symbol of hope in the end, a refusal to give up something precious and very special that seems to be already lost in the world around them, outliving the rowan tree and the alliance between their people. The last sentence was wonderful - it seems their friendship is giving life to the rowan tree now, which has been a symbol for that friendship for such a long time. I have to admit I'm also glad you ended the story the way you did - I don't think I could have borne reading about Gimli's death in Valinor now. This way, the ending is hopeful and I really prefer it that way. :)

*leaves to add story to c2 and fav list*
Aranna Undomiel chapter 1 . 10/12/2008
Wow, this was a really impressive story, it really got to me. This last part made me cry and laugh all at once.

You are most assuredly a great writer! This one is going on my favorites list.

Please continue writing such beautifull tales.
Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 1 . 10/12/2008
This is a wonderful story of the developing friendship between Gimli and Legolas, and how they finally came to sail together. I especially loved the way you show how not only Legolas influences Gimli, but also Gimli influences Legolas, and how this growing impact on each other in turn sets them apart from their own people and cause a conflict of interest,

In the retelling of this friendship, it is often forgotten that the closeness between these two representatives of different races cannot just have been met with support by their own people, but must have also been met with suspicion and resentment by some. Your great accomplishment here is to give us both hints at that conflict, and also to make it also clear that there is some warrant to the skepticism of those not so fond of the closeness of their respective leaders to each other.

I love the entwining of this with the images we get of the growing tree and its ultimate fate. The symbolism here is very strong, and right to the point. Kudos and Thank you for yet another wonderful tale about this great friendship. :)
vectis chapter 1 . 10/12/2008
What a beautifully crafted tale of a friendship spanning more than a century of time, but it was sad to see how Legolas and Gimli's friendship had caused such an estrangement for them from their own kind.

The idea that the tree had also been a friend to them, its burial was a particularly poignant touch, left me with a lump in my throat and a tear in the eye.
w chapter 1 . 10/12/2008
That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
85 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 Next »