Reviews for Two Agents Afloat
Space1Traveler chapter 14 . 4/29/2010
Bravo!
denpucc chapter 14 . 4/25/2010
Laine - i am re-reading your stories (again) and i just wanted to let you know how wonderfully well written they are! these stories are truly the best i've found on any ncis fan fiction website and i've been searching for tony-centric/whump, papa gibbs forever! i understand you are battling cancer. i pray for your recovery and my thoughts and prayers are with you. i hope u will be able to return to writing your stories soon.
Mulderette chapter 14 . 3/16/2010
Oh wow I loved, loved, loved this. Perfect blend of suspense, Tony angst, Gibbs concern...I could go on and on. I was totally engrossed from beginning to end (ending was wonderful as well). Just a great story :)
krysalys chapter 14 . 3/7/2010
Fantastic story. Wonderfully written, and thank you for sharing it!

-}-
ferryboat George chapter 14 . 2/4/2010
I almost didn't read this story but I'm really glad I did, even if it did keep me up till 1 AM :P Great story and very exciting with plenty of action and whumping.
likecigar chapter 14 . 11/29/2009
Hi, it's going to be a couple of weeks until a new episode of NCIS airs so I decided to check out the fan fiction site again. I'm really glad to have picked one of your stories first this evening! I enjoy your stories for many reasons. First, I believe they are very well written, in all aspects. I read your note about some American readers who complain about your use of non-American English. They are closed minded. I say bring on the cultural exchange. I saw something out here in cyberspace that pointed out a strong Aussie (I hope that is a polite term) connection to NCIS. Second, you keep the characters true to how they are on the show. Third, you have plausible plot lines. I feel like your stories could be episodes. Fourth, I agree totally, completely, absolutely and in all other ways with your decision regarding slash stories. Thank you for your time and effort you put into your stories. I look forward to reading your other entries.

I only look at fan fiction once in awhile because so much of it is poorly written in all aspects (Plot, dialog, narrative, grammar, spelling, punctuation) and it's just hard to read. I'll pick two or three stories at random and try to read them. If I don't find a good one in those first few tries, I log off and watch an NCIS Season One DVD (again!). Maybe I'm too critical of those other stories especially since I don't even attempt to write anything. Well, I have tried writing my own stories but as I read over what I've written I see that my own writing is just like the poorly written stories I dislike.
Aurilia chapter 14 . 11/16/2009
Very interesting and engaging story you've managed here - alcohol mislabeling aside, of course.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of the personalities behind the assorted characters and manage to handle their interactions in a believable manner. The plotline itself was quite delicious in its own way - just enough removed from the show to make it easy to separate it from canon without detracting from its level of enjoyment. I do want to know why Abby has a jar with an appendix in it in her purse, though (it's kind of gross and the only thing I felt OOC for her to be carrying).

From your spelling and word choices, you're either Canadian, British, or Australian - I have no trouble whatsoever with Brit-speak, personally, but since the show is based in the US, sometimes the phrasing used doesn't quite fit. For example, when referencing Georgetown University, us USers tend to either use the whole name or, if the person we're talking to already knows that its an institute of higher learning, we simply refer to it as 'Georgetown' - never 'Georgetown Uni'. The only times we tend to use 'uni' as a word in the US is as an acronym (UNI) for either the University of Northern Illinois, the University of Northern Indiana, or the University of Northern Iowa. If someone is referring to their post-secondary education, most folk tend to simply call it 'college'. If they're working on a Master's or PhD, then it's 'grad school' (short for 'graduate school'). And I'm sure you already knew at least some of that - don't mind me, I'm a little like Ducky in how I can tangent.

Anyway, back to the story as a whole. You have a good sense of the dramatic and a knack for being able to build tension. While reading, I was repeatedly grateful that I tend to shy away from WIPs - had I been following along when you originally posted this, some of the cliffhangers you left would have driven me nearly insane (although I suppose the argument could be made that I'm already pretty nuts). And, unlike many promising authors out there, you managed to reach the end of your story without leaving a single loose end that I can recall at this time. Far too many authors, particularly on a relatively unmoderated site such as this, tend to get sidetracked while writing a story and wind up leaving a plethora of unanswered questions at the end (and I will fully admit to being one of those, especially when I don't bother to finish writing a story before posting it).

Although I believe you would benefit from a competent beta to catch the odd typo and such (a recommendation I tend to give almost every author I bother to review), the vast majority of the errors I caught whilst reading were minor enough to simply ignore; those I couldn't ignore, I already commented on. With that out of the way, I believe I'll conclude by saying that I'm happy I managed to unearth this particular story.

May your muse be chatty and may your real life be just busy enough to provide you with inspiration while being lax enough to allow you the time to continue to write.

Happy writing, and thanks for the satisfying read!
Aurilia chapter 4 . 11/16/2009
Not to be nit-picky or anything, but Jack Daniels is Tennessee whiskey, not bourbon (which originated in Kentucky - to this day, all the best bourbons are manufactured along the Kentucky Bourbon Trail). If you want a popular brand name of bourbon, go with Jim Beam. (And while I'm on the subject of booze with men's names, Johnnie Walker is scotch and Jose Cuervo is tequila...just so ya know, of course.)

My dad owned a bar and I had to help out on weekends and such - I sat through too many discussions on booze by the patrons not to have had the finer points of differentiation among the various and sundry liquors sink in and permanently brand themselves in my brain.
gabumon chapter 14 . 11/12/2009
awesome story!
mightymousestapler chapter 14 . 10/29/2009
Oh Laine - I loved the "aw schucks" ending! All of the ends were tied up nicely and the story was such a good read! I loved it and can't wait to read more of your stories. Thank you for sharing your considerable talent!
mightymousestapler chapter 13 . 10/29/2009
Go Fornell! Like I said before - I think you write Fornell extremely well and I love the role you've written for him to play in this story! Gosh, Gibbs has had to leave Tony by himself! I'm off to read more.
mightymousestapler chapter 12 . 10/29/2009
You write such bad baddies! lol. Very easy to hate them!

The race is on now, who can get to Tony and Gibbs first?
mightymousestapler chapter 11 . 10/29/2009
Tony is so stubborn! And now he's sick as well. I'm fast running out of superlatives - extremely enjoyable chapter.
mightymousestapler chapter 10 . 10/29/2009
The interactions were great here - Gibbs with Tony, Ducky coaxing Jimmy, and a beautiful moving scene with Abby and McGee. Perfect.
mightymousestapler chapter 9 . 10/29/2009
The characterisations are just perfect and I really love the writing of Fornell. It would have been horrible for them to find the bodies on the boat and think that they are that of Tony or Gibbs. Great writing.
357 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 .. Last Next »