Reviews for FINDING HIMSELF
Guest chapter 22 . 10/26/2012
A delightful handling of Mrs. Diggory's reaction to their relationship. And finally some headway on the house-elf issue, which was starting to feel like a dead weight in their relationship, something they were both being stubborn about. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times - your story is such a pleasure to read. You inject and juxtapose interesting and insightful ideas along scenes that would have otherwise been cliched. I particularly like how you make aspects of the C/Hr relationship unconventional, such as his use of 'Granger' or the realities of his physical infirmity, to make the romantic scenes that much more enjoyable in contrast. You find a great balance between meaningful ideas and fluff, a skill that is lacking greatly in the fandom. Looking forward to continue reading, thank you.
Guest chapter 21 . 10/26/2012
Yay, they finally did it! :D Hermione's reactions were pretty interesting to read. Sort of reflects one of the dilemnas that contemporary feminists sometimes face - how to reconcile gender equality ideals with acculturated values. I find that it's often difficult to decide on the right or wrong of having and reacting to these 'feelings' which the mind knows are irrational but which nonetheless occur. It also struck me in this chapter how necessary Cedric's infirmity is for the illusion of realism. Otherwise, all you would be left with is a handsome, intelligent, well-reasoned and well-spoken young man with incredible personal charisma. Difficult to make a character like that interesting beyond the realms of sexual fantasy. Overall, another thought-provoking and (it goes without saying) well-written chapter. Thank you
Guest chapter 20 . 10/26/2012
Another enjoyable chapter. Once again, I like how you get at the interesting parts of Rowling's work - this time with a little more in-depth look at house elves. I agree with Harry, and I think the JK would too, that Dobby's choice, and indeed all of our choices, make a difference and possess intrinsic value distinguishable from pure consequences. Thank you for such a wonderful piece of writing.
Guest chapter 17 . 10/26/2012
Another great chapter. I love the discussion on love, and how it raises the question of whether there is a stable concept of love that remains true between people. Is there a meaningful distinction between the words/concept of love, adoration, and obsession? Are their differences intrinsic, goal-oriented, value-oriented, or individually distinguished? And how should we, as individuals, view and treat it as to maximize our own resulting happiness? Very interesting and insightful. I also like your inclusion of the little poem that came to Cedric, though in truth perhaps it was a little too well-written and knowledgeable for 7th year Hogwarts student. Regardless, I find the allusions to Plato very thought provoking. Out of interest, in what sense do you refer to the Real?
NemmerlesRaven chapter 16 . 10/26/2012
Political philosophy as well - very impressive :) You might be one of the most well-educated writers I've read on this site. And I'd like to withdraw my objections to Cedric's character - I like how you've placed him and his plans in a much more worldly context. The hierarchical treatment of Hufflepuff and Slytherin house unity may be a bit difficult, but it feels like a literary stepping stone for more development. Looking forward to reading more!
NemmerlesRaven chapter 13 . 10/25/2012
Very cute ;) I'm sorry about not leaving a review before now, but it's been quite easy getting caught up in the story. You write so well, and with an unusual amount of sensitivity to ideas - especially the multiple discussions on cross-culture communication and paternalism vs. ethical complaisance. I like how you seem to use Cedric's line of reasoning to delineate a position (mostly - I do enjoy seeing Ginny and co. correct him once in a while). Ethics aside, I absolutely love your interpretations of the books situations, following almost exactly in certain places but looking at it from another angle. It gives me a wonderfully nostalgic feeling, as well as something new to think about when I next re-read the novels (for the what feels like the hundredth time).
I'm also curious about your familiarity with Canadian culture - are you from there (or rather, here :)? Few other people know the Aboriginal situation so well, down to the point of distinguishing American/Canadian terminology.
You characterize wonderfully - I love the different takes on the characters, especially Hermione. It's nice to have a critical take on the character as she was in JK's novels. I like Cedric as well, though he seems just a little bit too ideal. Not in the sense of perfection, as he has plenty of faults, but in the sense of his strengths. Perhaps it is the way in which he seems to be a counter-play to Hermione's intellectual weaknesses, his incredible personal charisma, and his remarkably clear-sighted and pro-active view on inter-House relations.
Anyways, I love the story so far, and look forward to continue reading it. I hope you don't mind the huge review; it's as much for me as it is for you. A way for me to organize my thoughts about your story.
Eris Jones chapter 16 . 10/23/2012
What are your thoughts (or Cedric's) on Ravenclaw House?
Guest chapter 22 . 10/20/2012
Aw man, Cedric's mom is awesome! XD
TwilightMomofTwo chapter 2 . 10/17/2012
Now, I don't usually read HP fanfics, and I only started this one because it came highly recommended via ADF, but OMG, are you JK Rowling? The tone of your writing and the words you use make this sound like a canon fic. Imma keep reading, if you don't mind...

Thank you for sharing.
Thrae Elddim chapter 39 . 10/9/2012
Wow. There are no words for how amazing this was. It was so complex it made my head hurt, but so realistic and deep that it nearly made my heart hurt. I got a huge headache from the complexity actually, but that in a strange way made it even better. Your writing is of such a natural composition and beauty that I can't help being inspired and very much looking up to your talent. Thank you so much for sharing this piece.
Beautiful-Tyrant77 chapter 3 . 10/7/2012
So far I'm quite enjoying this story, although the pairing is one I have yet to read about I can tell you this is my first time reading hermione/Cedric pairing and I have to say your story didn't let me down. Quite the contrary it is, so far, wonderful and sweet. I've been needing something sweet.
Delighted chapter 38 . 10/4/2012
This is by far the best HP fanfic story I've ever read. Your writing is both believable and entertaining. Thank you for sharing this with us. Keep up the great work!
marykent chapter 38 . 9/22/2012
Thank you for your story! I have enjoyed your unique version of the hp book, especially the third person storytelling but from Hermione's prespective. And thank you for not dragging down the story with a blow by blow account of what Harry was doing since Jk Rowling did that already. Also, your take on the hufflepuffs and Cedric's friends was wonderful. Finally, your vocabulary was more sophisticated than nearly all stories that I have read so I actually learned new words which I am always excited about. Thanks again!
sakuragirl7 chapter 38 . 9/7/2012
Loved loved loved it! Amazing writing and perfect story.
I've never read any of the HP books, but found I could follow along quite well when I remembered the bits and pieces of the movies I've seen over the years.
Fantastic! Even moved me to tears at times lol.
Tina chapter 38 . 9/6/2012
This is one of the very best novels Ive ever read, and definately the very best portray of teenage romance. How Hermione and Cedric move from infatuation to love is beyond beautifully written and feels incredibly real. Their love, their fights, their frustrations, sex - you nailed it. I think writing relationships isnt Rowlings strong side, but its yours. The one thing I found unrealistic is that Cedric has no problems with a new relationship so soon after his injury. When your life and self-confidence gets shattered like this, most people have a very hard time accepting that someone else can love and desire them, and just arent ready for a new relationship. A spinal cord injury is hell for good, established, longterm relationships...
Thank you so much! I hope youll write more one day soon!
764 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »