Reviews for Mary Anne's New Best Friends
Hippiechic81 chapter 2 . 5/24/2014
hey! I really like your stories! Some of them aren't comeplete and I wish you would complete them because I am dying to know what happens next in them. for example the story about Kayla dying and how Mary Anne handles it. I just have one Question? I noticed that in your stories Dawn is kind of a jerk! Do you not like her in the actual books or is does this side of her come from something you read in one of the books? Just curious! Keep up the good writing!
Guest chapter 11 . 9/3/2012
This story is very good.. you have a few spelling errors which you have to get worked out. And some of the wording is quite confusing. But the story was very enticing and i liked it... a lot.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
I like Kayla's personality so far!
Lily Reese chapter 3 . 4/22/2012
No responsible parent would tell their kid that "It's going to be alright" when one of the kid's friends was just diagnosed with cancer. 'Cause sometimes it's not alright in the end, and it's a real battle the whole way there.

How did she get diagnosed with leukemia in just a few hours? I'm sure it takes longer than that...

Even the BSC can't solve everything. I doubt a fundraise can simply cure cancer.

The word is "scab", not "scap" - although "scap" is hilarious!

It'd take a lot more than $321 to save someone. It costs thousands of dollars for chemo.

As I open Chapter 5, I sigh. Not only is Kayla cancer-free after one single week of fundraising, but everyone says she's so lucky to be alive. Cancer in such early stages is easier treated, but it wouldn't kill you that fast. Those girls are pretty uneducated about it all.

Did you read any of the original published BSC books? Because even when Mallory had mono, she had to rest for a long time to avoid a relapse, and that's a much bigger risk when dealing with cancer. And yet Kayla's allowed to be out with friends (a big risk to her health considering that her immune system is incredibly weak at this point) AND leave town with friends? :

Whoa! A hint of realism that even Ann M. Martin couldn't handle! You have Mary Anne baby-sitting during BSC meeting hours! Congratulations, I am officially impressed!

And hey, Mary Anne doesn't throw up for an hour in nervousness over her interview! Progress!

I can't imagine picky Mr. Spier letting his teenager watch an R-rated movie. Even if she was 18 and her legal-age birthday was the next day.

Getting a cell phone is not that easy, either. A lot harder, actually, and the cashier just takes your money and de-activates the thing that sets off the alarms when you leave. When she asks to "give it" to any of her friends, it sounds like she wants to give away the phone, not just the number. And her father said the phone was a gift? Why did she pay for it herself?

Unfortunately, a few days is not long enough to beat cancer. Money doesn't cure things. It pays for treatments which cost a lot more than $1610.88 and may or may not work :(

Man, if curing diseases was really so easy, nobody would be sick in the whole world. That'd be so awesome.
Amandah Leigh chapter 10 . 11/16/2009
It does appear that you are really trying, and the effort is appreciated. Your fics are getting better. If they were completely terrible and not improving I would not waste time responding, but since you seem to really enjoy writing I hope that some of my advice has helped, even if you choose not to take it. :-)

Amandah Leigh chapter 5 . 11/16/2009
Please understand that I mean this to be constructive criticism:

When you write about certain topics that you probably do not have first hand knowledge of, it is a good idea to do a little research. For example, a bake sale and a week of rest cannot cure leukemia. I am glad that there looks like a happy ending is in store for Kayla, but it's not terribly believable. Try going to google and searching 'treating leukemia' for information.

Amandah Leigh chapter 3 . 11/16/2009
I'm starting to have considerable trouble with seeing this fic as realistic...

Dawn was just randomly yelling at Mary Anne? What was she yelling? That seems a bit immature, even for thirteen year olds... And because Mary Anne tattled Dawn is totally grounded for two weeks? That doesn't exactly work in canon - the girls usually work things out for themselves, and the punishment seems overly harsh. And it was so traumatic than Mary Anne is having nightmares about it?

Mary Anne seems awfully selfish too. "Imagine losing a friend you just met?" she asks, after talking to a girl whose identical twin has just been diagnosed with cancer. And you say it several times. She says it to her father, she says it to the reader, etc.

And because Dawn is punished she won't be allowed to help raise money for a girl with cancer?
Amandah Leigh chapter 2 . 11/16/2009
One suggestion I have is to try to finds new names. I find it very odd that one girl was given the first name that her parents already gave to an older child as a middle name. You can try looking on baby name world. com (no spaces) to find interesting, popular and ethnically-based names and their meanings. :-)

Bittersweet x chapter 10 . 11/6/2009
I've said it before, and I'll say it again-you really do write precisely exactly like Ann M. Martin.
Lady Eleanor Boleyn chapter 9 . 10/23/2009
I like this! I think it's so lovely the way Mary Anne and the rest of the BSC treat Kayla and Kaylee. Surprised that no-one else has teased the twins about their skin since the beginning, though - by all accounts, Jessi had a pretty rough time of it when she first moved to Stoneybrook.
Insert facepalm here chapter 6 . 9/17/2009
This is boring and vapid... like your other fanfics. Why do you write about the same garbage? Not every movie and story has friendship embedded in it. Have you ever seen any other types of movies? Besides Comedies, Children movies and what not. I discovered the same trend in all your fanfics... everything is the same. Everyone talks in a monotone manner. No one has a shread of personality in them. Everyone is so robotic and grey.

Where is the emotion? Characters need emotion to interact within each other. Everyone seems ratther calm when they talk. Have they all been bitten by the Beast of Boredem?

You overuse said way too much.

Your beta reader is not doing a good job. I do see some help with the spelling, but that's it.

You need to find better subjects to write about with your fanfics. I am sick of seeing the same thing from you. Not everything needs friendship or some usless plot device.. like the Dawn's Dream World fanfic.

I am sick of hearing the Moany dreams.. the 'MY STOMACH!' or 'I don't trust my stomach.' It's getting old. It's getting tiresome. You need to figure out what a plot is.. what a good beginning, middle and end are. None of your stories have plots. You over write chapters to the point each story is predictable and the same.

Stick with short stories or one shots. Worite chapters when you get better.

Do NOT reply to this...

I am on the end of my ropes with you... either learn what a plot is.. or don't write anymore.
Horsesareamazing chapter 1 . 7/21/2009
Hey guys. I have taken over betaing this story for Elizabeth. I think this story is getting better. What do you guys think?
Horsesareamazing chapter 3 . 7/14/2009
Getting better. But you do need to proofread your chapters better. I noticed several mistakes.
I'm sorry Elizabeth chapter 1 . 12/9/2008
I have left a few reviews for Elizabeth8289's BSC fanfics in the past. In these reviews, I have said how irritating I find it that advice is not taken and stories are deleted and reposted continuously. I now feel quite ashamed.

I was very annoyed yesterday when this was done again on another fanfic called "Mary Anne gets heart disease" which has since been deleted again. I googled Elizabeth8289 to see if the author was in fact playing games with readers and finding the whole thing amusing and, suffice to say, I found something via another BSC site about a book that she has published and accompanying author details, that made me feel very bad about the reviews I had given.

I am not going to go into what I found here as it is not my place to do so but suggest that anyone giving Elizabeth a hard time does the same as I did- the information is in the public domain so I do not feel that I am breaching confidences.

I would urge people thinking about leaving critical reviews to think again. Elizabeth reacts in the way that she does to criticism for a reason. She enjoys writing and getting positive reviews so I would like to encourage people to do just that- let her enjoy her stories and maybe just back off a bit.

I am sorry Elizabeth x
AqufIrindiglo chapter 1 . 10/17/2008
Glad to hear it! She seems to be doing better and I wish her(and you, the beta) the best of luck!