Reviews for Hallowe'en HangUps
Louey06 chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
this was good. I agree with Charlie, Halloween is great fun.
RavenEcho chapter 1 . 1/4/2010
Hmm, quite an interesting perspective and idea.
Silver Sailor Ganymede chapter 1 . 9/26/2009
I liked this story. Religion doesn't seem to be important in the wizarding world, if it exists at all, so it makes sense that it'd be something they'd study in muggle studies. I liked your characterisations. The way Charlie made Tonks an 'honourary Weasley' for the evening made me laugh.
sleepy queens chapter 1 . 8/26/2009
Oh, I remember reading this one on the Reviews Lounge! It's really good, just like I remembered (:
Cassandra30 chapter 1 . 4/24/2009
This is an excellent story! Well done! :)
Hecate's Wrath chapter 1 . 4/22/2009
Okay, well, my face just kind of exploded.

I'm even more flattered over your compliments now than I was before-you write so well, I'm beside myself that you think I'm decent.

Well. Anyway...

I absolutely *adored* this. I love the jokes about how Charlie likes Tonks and their denial (it makes my heart smile, to think of them involved romantically) and then the way you incorporate the Muggle world and the Wizarding world and draw a defining line. It seems like so many HP fics completely ignore the line and it's nice to see it not only acknowledged, but also confronted. I love how Charlie is so sweet and understanding about the whole entire situation and then makes Tonks feel better by making her an honorary Weasley.

In short, this was wonderfully done. Now I'm off to read more... d'you think my English instructor would understand if I simply told her that I don't have a research topic picked because I was up reading mind-blowing fanfic?
Sandshrew777 chapter 1 . 10/23/2008
Ooh! The review page has been re-done! I like it.

Um, anyway: I like it. Characterizations are on-point; not what I traditionally picture, but well within these two's spectrums. Purely friendship, too, which is just lovely.

Not sure I buy Charlie's use of "hell" in regards to Bonfire Night. Sure, he's a teen, and sure, he's gonna swear, and yes, you do drop it naturally. All very important things to do, and things you acknowledge very well. I'm just not sure he'd do it right at that moment, y'know?

Tonks was Hufflepuff? Or did you interpret? I don't mind, just curious, really. It's a nice touch - not an overwhelming theme, just an "Aha!" kind of moment to her characterization. Subtlety and I are friends. :)

I don't know if the classic "emo" look Tonks puts up to Charlie's response is an anachronism? I'm thinking not, as this is very close to the Marilyn Manson age, yes? So Tonks might know about that, in 1987. I dunno. It's more that I wonder what image she's drawing from to make that, and the first thought I had was emo. I'm sure she might be working with classic death imagery that might be even in some of the portraits at Hogwarts. Not a big concern. Just something I noticed.

The conflict is the right one to make, here, I think. You work with a text I'm very familiar with. My take is that witches of the Biblical time were occult-like in their devotion, very pagan. This isn't the same witchery J.K. puts forth (although there are similarities, I'll admit), and Tonks elucidates it just right for me. She doesn't put forth my view but neither does Charlie, yet you resolve it just the right way. Good move.

This is very dialogue-driven. Not a bad thing. I'm not sure narration would do much to enhance it, to be honest. If I were to inject any, it'd be to book-end this a little more. But as it is, it's quite a lovely little piece.

(This new review format is giving me insane problems right now, so I'll end here. Not much else to say, although I'm not sure why you used "enquired" instead of inquired.)

Brilliant work!

Keep writing. :)
Sara Winters chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Aw, my favorite future Auror is angsty? Well, to tell the truth, I understand. If parents can't give you hang-ups over just about anything, who can?

I love how you showed her friendly relationship with the Weasleys, particularly Charlie, but still leave it in question whether they could've been a couple or not.

As usual, I'm stuck for something to say! You'd think that would only happen with stories I don't like, but I did like this one, so that can't be it. Maybe I'm thinking of so many wonderful things, they can't form one coherent thought? Yes, that's it! I loved the characterizations, descriptions and dialogue. I thought you captured her anxiety well without making the the overall tone of the story too angsty.

And Charlie was right, she wouldn't be right with brown hair (or that even scarier black!) or a smile.
Boudicca's Revolt chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Very cute!
MBP chapter 1 . 10/19/2008
Oh, Katy, I just love this pairing even as a friendship (well, especially as a friendship.) Thanks to you, Charlie's definitely one of my favorite Weasleys, and I love the way he takes care of Tonks here. So sweet. )
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot chapter 1 . 10/19/2008
Oh, this was fabulous. Could be seen as straight friendship or pre-ship. I loved the bonding between them and the dialogue flows very naturally between them. I love your Charlie, and how he's a boy, having fun and being direct and teasing Tonks. She wasn't too grumpy here, either. She was appropriately moody.

This was really awesome, Katy. Thank you!
Mary Gooby chapter 1 . 10/18/2008
That must have been a long time ago. No dressing up? Weird. I like the honorary Weasley part!
NellieNotMolly chapter 1 . 10/17/2008
I really like this Charlie/Tonks friendship! Love that she became an honorary Weasley for the evening. And I love the name "Dorie" for her. I think it suits her! :-)

I have suffered having neighbors & colleagues who share the same feelings as Ted Tonks' family. Kind of takes the fun out of Halloween. Fun story, though!
Dodger Gilmore chapter 1 . 10/17/2008
I love that you showed us a glimpse of the younger Charlie and Tonks. This was really enjoyable to read, and I hope you'll do more on them (and possibly Bill and that conflict you've alluded to?) in the future. Or, just keep writing something, and you'll keep me happy, becuase it's all wonderful, really.
alix33 chapter 1 . 10/17/2008
"and taking in her dull brown hair, dark eyes and disgruntled expression at a glance. “Aren’t you going in to the feast?” Tonks shook her head. “I don’t like Hallowe’en.” " - The dull brown hair should have clued him in already that something is wrong.

"For a Weasley to miss a meal of any kind – let alone a feast – went against the grain." - LOL

"“And for Merlin’s sake, do something to your hair. You don’t look like you with brown hair.”" - LOL at that first sentence, in which Charlie Weasley portrays just exactly who his mom is. THAT is SUCH a Molly Weasley sentence!

"“His family were really religious. Not just going to church at Christmas religious, but really religious. Swallowing the whole Bible hook, line and sinker as the inspired word of God.”" - Oh dear, poor Ted Tonks - and poor Tonks (as in miss Tonks)! I have relatives who are like that and they are a nightmare, honestly!

"“Dad’s got a few hang-ups because of his upbringing,” she said quietly." - Tonks, news flash: who doesn't?

"But for Godric’s sake, come and have something to eat. I’m starving.”" - LOL at Charlie once again seemingly channelling his mom! You think maybe Molly has female muggle Jewish forebears? Ones that went "I'm hungry, so you had better eat something"?

"even giggling as he flicked his wand and changed her Hufflepuff tie into the scarlet and gold of Gryffindor. “Change your hair,” he ordered. “You can be an honorary Weasley for the night. Then you don’t have to worry about what your Mum and Dad do or don’t think of Hallowe’en.” Tonks screwed up her face and turned her hair a red as bright as Charlie’s own," - That is SO CUTE!