Reviews for The Big Picture
amyblair chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
This was a sweet, sweet story.

Some of my faves were -

'Sam finally winced and swept a convulsing Dean into his arms and carried him up to the door.' Could picture it and I just thought it was fitting and perfect.

'...Sam kinda didn't care.' Loved that. Loved the "kinda"

...'caught up with him in a bout of pneumonia with a bronchitis chaser.' What a great combo here.

Nice job. Lovely story. I like it when you bring in the 'others'. Pastor Jim was so wonderful with Sam . Really liked their convo.
twinchaosblade chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Sweet. Excellent use of the different layers in which the story is told, each perfectly adding to the other.

And I don't mind one tiny bit that you like to write the brothers more tenderly than you should according to the show. I really appreciate the way you characterize the boys, and despite knowing that they hardly dish out too much emotion, I sometimes also wish they'd go there a little more often, just for the fangirly squee in me.
bhoney chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
WOW. I LOVED this fic! Not only do we get to see 2 different scenes with Dean recovering from something and Sam taking care of him (I LOVE flashbacks), but we get to see Pastor Jim! I always wanted to see more of him on the show, and you did a great job with him. Love the idea that, even now, his home is a safe place for the boys to go when they need it.

There were some stellar lines in here that made me give a happy sigh. Here are my faves: "For all the fact that he would’ve carried Dean to the ends of the Earth if necessary..." and my very fave: "Home without Dean versus the road with Dean had been no contest."

I also really loved Pastor Jim's wisdom. Especially this: "You don’t know that, Sam. That’s my point. We can’t see everything that’s going on here, just our little corner of it. We have no idea how protected we are, what greater evils we’re saved from, what effect we might be having on others. We don’t know how many times you’ve both been protected from death, or worse. All I know is this: God has a plan, for our good. And He’ll give us the strength to do our part." That's so true. And then this: "Just remember, Sam. It’s not over yet. There’s always more going on than you can see. Don’t lose hope." Well said.

And then, to top off all the other great things in this story, you gave me a chuckle with this: “After each time I’ve driven it for a while. He thinks I throw her out of alignment or something.” LOL

Great story! It has h/c, deals with deeper issues, and you did an excellent job with the parallels between the scenario in the flashback and the one in present time (especially the bit about his wrist, it being scarred now, and bandaged then). Really well done. Sad, of course, that P Jim isn't around this time, but neat that he's still able to help them even after he's gone.

Question-is the Molech story one you've written and I've just missed somehow, or do you plan to write it? Cuz I've gotta say, Dean taken by humans and Sam riding in to the rescue-sounds like a fic I'd love. ;) Of course, we know now how it would end, but I gotta say I'd still read it. :)

I'm faving this one!
IheartSam7 chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Wow that was powerful. I love when Dean is hurt, and Sam takes care of him. You just infuse such compassion into Sam that it melts my heart. I especially love that you brought Pastor jim into it as a kind of mentor to Sam. We all know that Sam had faith, when Dean didn't, and it is nice to see him exploring faith to find answers to why all the crappy stuff going on. I just like the relationship of Jim and Sam. Like an unspoken understanding of each other through Sam's questioning- I don't know- it just was neat to see Sam turn to someone for help like that, it made me tingle. Nice story.
shelby02 chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
This was such a beautiful story of Sam's faith. I loved how you were able to weave in Sam's memories of Pastor Jim. You did a wonderful job of showing Sam taking care of Dean and and at the same time trying to understand that there is a greater power taking care of them both.
Mad Server chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Hey, I really loved your description of Dean after the blood transfusion, pale and twitchy and quiet and feeling sick and then his grumpiness coming as such a relief to Sam. Also that he always tunes up the Impala after Sam's been driving it for awhile... it's an awesome quirk and I wouldn't have thought of it but it really seems to me to fit with his character. And also just randomly I loved the line, "he stared at Sam’s propping arm like he wasn’t sure what it was." Thanks for a great read!
Brenny chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
I still haven't decided which story i like more, the flashback or the main one.

So i'm gonna just say great stories!
JazzyIrish chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Fabulous as always. Loved both stories and how they examine Sam's faith...and hope. In the backstory, Sam's faith in God is tested - what kind of a God would allow his brother to (almost) die? In the current story, because of Dean's deal, Sam has to fortify his faith and hope so that he can make it through the year.

You always do a wonderful job of keeping both brothers true to character - in action, thoughts and voice. Dean may not believe, but he respects Sam's beliefs and in some small way, maybe even envies his brother, especially if Sam's faith gives him comfort.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I always look forward to your stories.
sylia91 chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Funny,I've always loved stories about pastor Jim though he appeared only briefly in the series. He seems for me to balance the different influences in the boys lives. John's military strictness, Bobby's knowledge to Jim's calm spiritual comfort. Might explain why the brothers are as strong as they are without the cold ruthlessness of a Gordon Walker. Great fic as always.
alwaysateen chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Excellent story!

Well both stories, the past and present. :) Too bad we didn't have the chance to know Pastor Jim better, he sounded very nice...

With everything that happened in the Winchester's lives, it's a wonder Sam is still a strong believer. This story helps explain a little bit why.
Magnolia Lane chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Loved it! All this hurt and sick!Dean is just what I needed after a long day. I really enjoyed how you wove the 2 stories together and how they came together at the end.
riquitv chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
sniff sniff, that was beautiful, thanks so much :)
Maz101 chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
In the words of Carly Simon, nobody does it better! (You can sing it if you prefer.)
Liafrombrazil chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
I think it's a waste of time looking for words to describe your talent. This was another amazing criation but there are no surprises...we expect things like this from you. I love getting the alert in my computer and run to read your stories, even if I have to wait until my "breaks" to do this. Pastor Jim was a clever man and I hope he was right about God's plans for the Winchesters. I wish the Supernatural producers agree with you and Sam can be able to choose the right side of the battle. Love seeing Sam taking care of Dean. Love the way you put the flashbacks. Thank you for sharing again.
Klutzygirl33 chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Great story. Love that Pastor Jim was in here. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
54 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »