Reviews for The Big Picture
klutzysunshine chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Great story. Love that Pastor Jim was in here. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
sayrae3times chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
What can I say about this story that I haven't said on a previous one? Wonderful, amazing, and fantastic have been used too much. I need to expand my vocabulary just for you :) Anyway, this was beautiful – and I’m sure “beautiful” is another word I’ve used too much, but oh well! I’m sure you’ll forgive me! It was beautiful the way you went back and forth between when Pastor Jim was alive and the house was a warm, welcome place to after his death but the house still holds that feeling of safety.

And Sam’s yearning for something to believe in was just very…real. I can only imagine how difficult it would be for Sam to hold on to faith when so MANY bad things happen. I find it difficult myself sometimes and I’m not even bleeding or having near-death experiences on a regular basis! Not to mention my life isn’t dedicated to running headfirst into supernatural-evil! It was also great that amidst the angst, you were able to make me laugh. I just loved this part - “Dean was still hacking when Sam tried to pick him up again, but it didn’t stop his big brother from giving him a don’t even think about it look, so Sam more or less dragged him inside.” I could SO picture this! And Dean’s first words after being so sick being “get off” - so very Dean!
MKofGod chapter 1 . 10/21/2008

You really captured Sam in this, and I loved the double story touch. Jim is a character that I really wish we'd seen more of. I was surprised you put their interaction in the first season, as usually people only include Murphy before Sam went to college.

It was a very clever touch.

I've been thinking about writing a story that explains why God lets bad things happen ever sense that rather unsatisfactory explanation on the show (C'mmon - an ANGEL saying that God's wasy are mysterious - yes, it's true, but he really could have said more).

Anyway, you just blew any story ideas I had out of the water. You did a very good job with free will and all that - not preaching, not getting out of character - not blatantly referencing it. Just stating it like it is.

I'm in awe - seriously.
mtee1958 chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Wonderful story. Love that you brought Pastor Jim in.

Scullspeare chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Lovely H/C as always, but I really liked your exploration of Sam's crisis of faith.

The believer and the analytical hunter in Sam must often be at war, especially in light of Dean's deal, so it's great to see him fighting to hold on to his beliefs.

Thanks also for bringing back Pastor Jim. I really wished they hadn't killed him off; he had so much potential. Loved too the parallel use of his cabin as a place of refuge. The boys need one.

Cheers, Sculls
Ash8 chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Oh this was just lovely.

Loved the parallel stories. A safe haven. A place to go in trouble times. Love that you used Paster Jim's place for this. It felt so right.

As usual the h/c is spot on the the boys voices are perfect.

There's more I want to say but it's late so I'll just say I loved it. Thanks for sharing. I always love getting my alerts to a new story from you.

Tacpebs chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Cool. Awesome story!
Nana56 chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Wow! Double Dean whumpage! Thanks for that. :)

This was great. There's a poem about the Weaver. Do you know it. I've got it around here someplace and it talks about how we can only see the individual threads and the underside. God is the weaver and he sees the pattern from above and knows why each thread is where it is.

It truly is all about the big picture.

Loved it.
PADavis chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
This sure hit all my buttons. A beautiful flashback of Jim Murphy providing help in person, contrased to his empty house, still providing help and comfort.

Don't think I've said this before, but I do love how you had Jim leave the house to Dean in your stories.

What a pleasure to have the alert this morning! It's always a good day when I see those.

Rainnboots chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Yep! Amazing! But that's no surprise coming from you. I liked-no, loved-the line near the end,

"Maybe if Sam could find his own faith again, he would have some to share with Dean, too."

That captures Sam in the early seasons so well; he believes and you can tell that he wants Dean to believe, too. I also like how you put in the parts Pastor Jim instead of Bobby like some people might've because it gave Sam the opportunity to, in a sense, align the tires of his faith. Very nice work with on the dialogue between Sam and Dean, as well. And on Sam taking on the role as "big brother" while Dean was "little brother" for once.

All in all, another fantastic story, Ms. Korossy. Looking forward to the next one!
55 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4