Reviews for Memoires Of A Mental Breakdown
Distant Glory chapter 10 . 12/29/2016
So I promised you that I would review this properly. And I had every intention of following through on that, so here I am!

...two months later.

ORZ

(I plead the insanity of life. But rest assured, thinking about this gem has helped me retain sanity in situations when I might otherwise have resorted to rather Tsviet-like actions towards certain co-workers.)

Firstly, I love this story just as much now as the day you first posted it. It is utterly hilarious and I really can't overstate the influence that it has had on me as a writer. Every single cracky Deepground-related thing I have written or will write is basically because of this fic. (I'm going to continue to steal the breakfast-conversations setting as the basis of Yuffie and Shelke's friendship, for one. Sorry not sorry. It's just too wonderful for words.)

Secondly, THIS CHAPTER OH MY GOD. THE UPS. THE DOWNS. THE HILARITY. THE HEART-WRENCHING...NESS. I'm honestly amazed that you managed to get this all down without your head exploding. I'm amazed that I managed to READ it all without my head exploding. I'm going to start at the beginning and work my way down-apologies if I just state a thing, and lack a verb in my sentences. If this is the case, please assume that the verb 'love' is involved in my description of the thing.

1) Shelke trying SO HARD to apologise. Shelkie, you adorable creature. If doing so wouldn't get me stabbed, I would just cuddle you forever.

2) Cid weighing in on the matter. "She's trying to bury dead people with you! Isn't that the cutest thing?" ROFL. It should not be possible for that to be both a funny and cute pair of statements, and yet, you make it happen.

3) Shelke's game. A brilliant strategy, but...difficult to follow through on, as the participants discovered. Cid's reaction to it, though? Totally my reaction, though his has shorter words and more anecdotes about reckless behaviour around explosives.

4) Your whole treatment of the Multiplayer Mode plot. I'm not sure why, but Shelke's whole, "Yeah, I probably should have mentioned this, shouldn't I?" thing was hilarious to me. And then you made it that Shelke had repressed the whole thing. "I wish we could have found someone who deserved to die", just rip out my heart and stomp on it why don't you? That being said...

5) ARGENT WEAPONIZING THE BUTTER KNIFE. That is totally something she would do, and I am severely tempted to write a little ficlet for that, if you would be amenable to such a thing.

6) Nero's use of alliteration to pass the time, and his comeback when Shelke told him that 'Enigma' didn't fit. Sassy Nero is sassy, even when chained to a pillar.

7) SHELKE'S DESCRIPTION OF HOW SHE LIKES HER MEN. Wow, Shelke, Freudian slip much? XD

8) SHELKE BEING THE CHAMPION AT SOLITAIRE BECAUSE NO ONE NOTICED THAT IT HAD BEEN INSTALLED ON THE DEEPGROUND COMPUTERS. Honestly, if I absolutely HAD to choose a favourite part of the chapter (which is next to impossible, honestly, there are SO MANY great moments), that would probably be it.

9) The Tsviets suffering from Viewer Gender Confusion about the player character-particularly Weiss blaming his inability to choose on the androgynous haircut-was amazing. (Though I'm not sure Weiss gets to talk. His hair looks like a sentient starfish-octopus hybrid decided to adhere to his head.)

10) SHELKE DRAWING DIAGRAMS WITH STICK FIGURES FOR THE EXPLANATION OF THE PLAN. That is...ridiculous and yet so Shelke-like. (This especially seems like something she would do for Rosso or Azul's sake.)

11) Red XIII's appearance is everything wonderful and I love him.

12) SHALUA IS AWAKE OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD. I literally flailed and squeaked when I first read those last few lines, and the thought still makes me flail and squeak mentally. SISTERLY REUNION FTW!

Basically? I love this story (and you) SO MUCH. I'm so looking forward to seeing where this is going! But in the meantime, I will continue to create fanfic-ception by creating works based on this. :3 Can't stop, won't stop!
MuzaiandYuuzai chapter 10 . 11/25/2016
Welcome back! I'm so happy you're still writing. This story found a very tender part of my heart and it does me a world of good to see it continued.
I hope your health keeps up. Thanks for everything!
Clement Rage chapter 3 . 10/30/2016
How have I never seen this before? This is a really great exploration of the descent of the DG Tsviets, with weird bursts of normality between all the horror. You're pulling off touching, horrifying and funny from moment to moment, and keeping everyone in character as well. It's easy to gloss over how unhinged they are when you're trying to write a fic like this, but you're keeping to their roots while defrosting her plausibly as well.

I get thrown by the occasional detail (The word 'English' in chapter one, in a world with no England, their language would be called something else, real world brand names) but they are just details, this is a brilliant piece of work, and I'm looking forward to reading on.
Zaz9-zaa0 chapter 10 . 10/28/2016
VIXEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN! 8DDDDDDDDDDD

Dedicate this chapter to you. Dedicate all of your hard work, the laughter, the pain and the catharsis, to you. In regards to both your journey and that of Yuffie and Shelke.

Your command of the meta continues to delight, cause sides to split, and tea to be choked on (you think I'd learn by now, but SHELKE IMITATING YUFFIE. SHELKE. SAYING. GTFO.), and I forever worship this chapter for bringing up my fair butter-knife-weaponizing Argento, everything Online Mode, and the reunion. No, not that Reunion. The one we've been at the edge of our seats for.

Thank you so much for the love you have given us, and the love you have given these two adolescents as they navigate the royally effed up realms of memories, flashbacks and trauma with the power of compassion and life-giving snark.
Trasgo Madaraz Artifex chapter 10 . 10/27/2016
An update?! Awesome!
You know, just two- three days ago i was thinking of giving this fic another read. And then WHAM! A wild update appears!
Pretty nice surprice i must say. I hope there are more from where this one came from.
Guest chapter 9 . 1/1/2015
So happy this story was revived...constantly checking for updates wore me out lol
But still has great quality and consistent writing I love this :)
June chapter 9 . 6/24/2014
This is great. I really love your writing style. Please update soon!
Distant Glory chapter 9 . 12/31/2013
You give the best presents, you know that?

I just - PLOT. AND THE POSSIBILITY OF NERO SURVIVING. Dare I hope that this hinted romance may actually GO SOMEWHERE? *waggles eyebrows suggestively*

You do have fun with Reno, don't you? I can tell. There's a flavour of revelry about his jerkishness - although possibly that is just him. It's hard to tell. (But I won't blame you if you do happen to be enjoying yourself. Sometimes there is nothing better than letting two opposite personalities bounce off one another. It's the whole point of this story, really, just with another foil...and a darker edge. DELICIOUS DARK PLOTTY EDGE.)

I loved Shelke's declarations as she was administering the mako. That was actually incredibly touching and I was verging on choking up.

And then...there was Yuffie. And I was back to burying my face in my pillow to stop my laughter from disturbing my parents. (Was Shelke conscious during all of that, by the way? I got a little confused, although it might have been the fact that I read this just after waking up and was probably not firing on all cylinders.)

Needless to say, I am on the edge of my seat here! ...so you'd better update again soon, before there's a permanent groove carved into my butt. ;)
CupofTeaforAliceandHatter chapter 9 . 12/29/2013
This was funny. Great Job!
Zaz9-zaa0 chapter 8 . 9/4/2013
There's something so endearing about the mound of rubble that is the fourth wall. XD Yuffie's particular insistence on clearing up all plotholes Lucrecia is something we all appreciate, more so given the attitude that she (and Shelkester) bring to the table. xD Shelke's determination to reassert control over her power, in becoming her own person, is brilliant (and the bit with Shalua hit where it counts, which I mean in an emotive and not combative sense) and I for one was sort of thrilled to see that she still identifies as a Tsviet, rather than pink blouse jailbait.

Vincent Valentine, I shall now refer to you as 'Coffin Crapper' as often as possible, because that's how Vixen's perfect nicknames roll.
Distant Glory chapter 8 . 8/14/2013
Wow, Reno. Way to undo so much of the progress that Shelke and Yuffie had made. You go, you red-headed SOB.

I can't really blame Shelke for what she's doing. If Deepground was going to teach you anything, it would be that the best defence is a good offence. I just hope that she doesn't end up hurting herself more along the way... Although I would like to know where she's getting that mako! Isn't it getting pretty rare aboveground by this point?

Poor Yuffie, too. She's so confused and so worried. She's a good friend, even if she has some really strange ways of demonstrating it sometimes...

I can't wait to see what happens next! :D
Zaz9-zaa0 chapter 7 . 6/26/2013
Reno you little shit. Death by the White Rose of Wutai and Cerberus is too good for you after pulling that stunt.

On the much more lighthearted end of things, I bow down to you for the brilliant commentary on Shelke's postgame outfit. XD And Social Skills: LVL UP is all kinds of fantastic. Yuffie going for the throat in defense of Shelke was excellent - still being herself while driving home that Reno severely done goofed, and for all his brooding, Vincent follows through as well. x3
Distant Glory chapter 7 . 6/26/2013
Dammit, Vixen! This story is meant to make me laugh! Not make me cry! Not that I actually cried, but I was feeling more than a little teary myself by the end of things and I am totally in agreement with Yuffie about how Reno needs to die a painful horrible death. YOU JUST DON'T DO THESE KINDS OF THINGS. YOU DON'T BRING UP PAINFUL COMPLICATED RELATIONSHIPS THAT MAY NONETHELESS BE AMONG THE MOST POSITIVE THINGS THAT HAPPENED DURING THE WORST YEARS OF YOUR LIFE AND WILL PROBABLY NEVER GET ANY CLOSURE. JESUS.

Yuffie may have to move fast to get to Reno, now that I think about it. Once Shelke recovers a little, she's probably going to go after him herself...

Also, this plot is sounding distinctly ominous. Intriguing, but ominous...

(PS. With that second last line - I think you mean 'legible'. Not 'eligible'.)
CupofTeaforAliceandHatter chapter 7 . 6/26/2013
This is interesting and highly entertaining.
Milla chapter 7 . 6/26/2013
Lovely as usual and, while I personally prefer a more mature, "hiding-your-sorrow-behind-a-smile" Yuffie, you turn her hyperness into a veritable gold mine of wit and pseudo-intellectualism. I also appreciate that you emphasise what a good friend she is (some writers make Yuffie completely selfish, which, in my opinion, is wrong). If I could ask for anything, it would be a small dose of Yuffentine (not too much, as this focuses on Shelke's and Yuffie's friendship and interaction), but that's just me.
I would advice, though, to watch your sentences. Like me, you sometimes tend to make them too long and, while I can see it being character defining, it can make it hard to follow. There were also quite a few misspellings and other faults in this chapter, which is a shame, since you're otherwise very proficient.
Here follow a few examples:

"Haven't we trod upon this vein conversation before?" - I think you mean "vain" here, as in shallow not a blood vessel.

"I mean, you do where panties, don'tchya?" - "Wear" as in "you're wearing pants". Also, I think it's "don't ya" or "don't cha", however I'm not good with slang.

"Maybe even a Gensis clone or two, if you're lucky." - His name is "Genesis".

However, this is nitpicking. You're doing great and I look forward to your next update :)