Reviews for Path of Thorns
masoxrista chapter 1 . 10/23/2008
Oh Gods. It was like Christmas morning when I arrived for my daily scramble for 'something remotely good to read' - because I saw your name... *sigh* Me thinks your penname alone beckons like moth to flame. An irresistible come-hither for all who seek the pleasure of fantasy.

Of course, the notoriety of your pen-name is because every single Ravyn addition to the RK fandom is now inseparable from it.

Okay, enough of this writer-worship. To put it bluntly, I adore your writing. Onto the comment for this chapter:

I must admit that when I first read your summary and the disclaimer, I was rather confused as to exactly what this fic would be about. The first clue I had (which was actually quite misguiding) was your mention of 'Beauty and the Beast' which I ultimately associated with your title.

As much as I love the story of Beauty and the Beast (and I do love it) I really wasn't looking for yet another rendition of Kenshin as the entrapped Beast and Kaoru - the unsuspecting Belle. Meaning to say, I had half prepared my brain to expect the expected (from the plot)...

But I was pleasantly surprised that apart from the roses and the fact that Kenshin most certainly is under some sort of beastly entrapment - it has not ventured anywhere remotely near Beauty and the Beast. At least, not in the sense that it feels as if you were doing RK-characters typecast as the characters of Beauty and the beast. Brava for that.

I'm not sure why I enjoyed reading about mulching and preening and I'm sure that I've never quite seen Kaoru as a 'gardener'. You have effortlessly made it so that it seems almost second-nature to Kaoru. Your characterization of Kaoru is fresh but exudes what made her such an endearing character in the first place.

There were some things I'm confused with. First, while there has been mention of magic, the first chapter has gone considerably without it. What (is) the Himura mansion? I might have to go back on that. Also, Kenshin keeps on doing this 'growling' which usually coincides with mentions of 'her' - her, I guess is the one that put this wicked curse on him.

Towards the end, things started getting clearly and to say that I was jumping off my seat by the last part would be an understatement. I'm rather anxious now after realizing that you would not be updating any time soon. Of course, I completely appreciate your commitment to weaving the plot but I'm sure everyday will be long in between updates from now on (hehe).

For the most part, I think that your betas did quite well. I only detected two instances of some sort of 'language' problem:

[1] of pale roses to check on how and to do some basic weeding

[2] sat down on and tuck...

More power to you!

p.s. You have a pre-dereliction for wolves... I love it.
Dea Mariella chapter 1 . 10/23/2008
yay! A new ficcie by Ravyn!

This is an excellent start to what looks like a great fic. I've always liked the way you handled your characters; making them your own, yet keeping them true to themselves. I'm intrigued about the curse that Kenshin's under; clearly, he's human looking, yet has the beast to deal with... I can't wait to see how that turns out.

You have caught our curiosity and attention as always m'lady! I look forward to the next chappie!

Dea-chan
Selene Thalia chapter 1 . 10/23/2008
interesting.. and i love the plot.. i'll be waiting for your next update!

Ja! )
WellITriedSoManyOptions chapter 1 . 10/23/2008
It is absolutley fabulous. I had the best time reading it and will deperately wait for more. Your characterisations are true and the plot is looking to be exciting.

Thankyou.
Pia Bartolini chapter 1 . 10/23/2008
Of course I love it. Damnit, and now I have to follow ANOTHER story jones'in for upates whenever I can get them, like the dutiful addict I am. Thanks a bunch Ravyn.

More seriously, I really DO like it, the cadence of the story is nice so far and I am intrigued with the premise. It has a nice feel to it, and while it does remind me of some other KK stories currently out there (I think Jessie has one that has a similar feel to me, Tiger Eye might be the name?) it is also fairly unique. There's something about the way you write the characters that draws me in from the first page and then builds from there. It's a rare talent and this story is FULL of literary hooks that have me thoroughly interested. I TOTALLY understand slow updates and wanting to write it right the FIRST time, as opposed to rushing through it and being unhappy with it, but the simpering fangirl in me does have to obligatorily beg for an update as soon as possible. I can't help it, I LOVE your stuff. Especially when it's not *too* dark. This feels like it will have some weight to it, a touch of angst and drama, but nothing too heavy or depressing which I am looking forward to.

And yes, I totally need to catch up on your updated rewrites, life got REALLY busy and my computer was killed by a toddler. In fact I am heading over the LJ *right now* to open up the sections I didn't read and get cracking. I'll let you know if anything catches my attention.

Brilliant as always dear, can't wait for more!

- Taryl
ParsleyFeline chapter 1 . 10/23/2008
O_O Dude. That is so cool.

Just one thing, there's a couple of consistent spelling errors. Staring only has one 'r' and I don't know if you want to use the word 'ruin' or 'rune'.

Besides that, I'm really enjoying this. It's got a very Beauty and the Beast feel about it which I'm going to guess is what you're going for here.

It's really ironic. I seem to be reading a couple of Kenshin fics that focus on flowers XD
akasha-d chapter 1 . 10/23/2008
As per usual your story hits the level of all kinds of perfect! I cant wait to see what happens next!
Stardust Angel2 chapter 1 . 10/23/2008
Wow! I'm speechless. I have read your other Kenshin stories but I can honestly say this is, for me, the best opening chapter. Long time between updates, you said? That is just pure torture, having to wait a long time to know what happens next.
midnightblue123 chapter 1 . 10/23/2008
woah...you're actually back! This story seems to going great just don't forget your other unfinished stories, will you?
ppr1883 chapter 1 . 10/23/2008
Wow. I completely loved it! I can't wait for more.
Nagasasu chapter 1 . 10/22/2008
First of all, hooray for a new story! Yay! I was quite excited when I saw the message in my inbox saying you had a new RK fic out.

First chapter is reminsicent of Indygodusk's "Slumbering City;" there's a garden Kaoru is awakening, and a house whose master has been gone for awhile. And quite obviously there's some fairy tale thrown in. :) Most obviously being Beauty and the Beast, in that sense there are faint echoes of Robin McKinley's Rose Daughter. In a good way of course, your style of writing is more grounded than the ephemeral quality of fairy tales. The scene where Tae comes in to tell Kenshin that Kaoru has found the roses, made me think of the scene in Disney's Beauty and the Beast where Mrs. Potts comes in to tell the Beast that Gaston and co. have arrived. Lol, ah Tae as Mrs. Potts. XD Towards the end I was reminded of "East of the Stars, West of the Moon;" that Kenshin would have to leave if Kaoru ever turned the light on when he visits her at night.

Liked the idea of having a Uni for mages. I'm puzzled by the nature of Kenshin's madness. At first I thought he was trapped in beast form day and night, but Kaoru sees him during the day as human. So he's only human during the day? Hm. And the idea of having him as a beast in human form during the day as well (the idea of him rising the walk on two legs, and him having a veneer of humanity), it makes me think he's really a beast trapped in human form not the other way around. Which would be really interesting.

Also when Kenshin refers to "she," he's referring to Kaoru right? If so, it seems strange that he should react (repeatedly!) with anger, especially when she's healing the garden. Is he angry at himself, his own inability, his circumstances? Anyways, I'm quite sure all will be revealed in due time.

And hooray for the snuggling at the end! Lovely chapter, and as always, looking forward to more. :D
Ange Noir chapter 1 . 10/22/2008
Squealasm which of course is a squeal and spasm all at once. I'm in love
rvgt32 chapter 1 . 10/22/2008
UGH WHY DID YOU END IT THERE?

That was such a perfect place to stop, and I should've expected it from you ;)

I love this story already. At times I was holding my breath waiting for what was going to happen next.

Perfect opening, I must say. Looking forward to the next update!
poems2songs chapter 1 . 10/22/2008
interesting story... like it so far... lots of mystery... seems that kaoru had a close encounter with something unknown... wonder what happens next... update when you can... please and thank you...
Kickero chapter 1 . 10/22/2008
I am always impressed with your writing, and this is no exception. I am saddened that you will not be posting a new chapter anytime soon. Oh well... I look foreward to some Yahiko and Kaoru dojo moments.

~~TTFN, Emu