Reviews for A Whiter Shade of Pale
romanceluver22 chapter 5 . 6/21/2013
this was very good, not what i was looking for, but very good
YenGirl chapter 5 . 12/16/2012
An amazing story.

An amazing character, Minerva, Harry, Albus and Willa.

And you, dear writer, are just as amazing.

I feel like jumping to my feet and applauding wildly!
anonymouth chapter 5 . 1/22/2012
I've read this story before but neglected to review, because I can't quite put into words how brilliant a writer I think you are.

This story in no way glorifies rape, nor is horrifically voyeuristic - you give just enough detail to let us know somewhat of the psychology of those involved, and to show the reader, as opposed to preach, the ramifications.

I love your Minerva, still the venerable Professor, thinking of Harry when Albus informs her of his involvement, and yet moments later, showing a totally different facade through her interactions with Wilhelmina. The moment between them is made all the more special, I think, by the fact that throughout your story the point is made that she remains just as stoic and...blunt? And that everything continues as normal, as normal as can be in a school such as Hogwarts and in times such as they were.

This is by far my favourite chapter, and towards the end is a tender moment between the two - leaving a lot unsaid, but signifying a bond between them, acknowledged by both as I imagine they would in canon.

/"Did you feel some sort of thrill along with him? Yes, maybe you did. It doesn't matter. We all feel dark things, Potter. It doesn't make us monsters; it just makes us human. What matters is how you respond. You could give in, you could mope about and and let some so-called 'Dark Lord' define you, but if you did. . .well, then you wouldn't be the Gryffindor I take you for. But you are, like it or not, because I'm never mistaken about that. Am I being clear?"\

I am glad that she doesn't deny his feelings; knowing Harry's character, he would have wallowed to a point where there would be no return for him. This was also something that I really needed to hear at this moment in time, which is probably how I've ended up re-reading this, and for that I thank you.

Absolutely brilliant story.
McGonagall's Bola chapter 5 . 8/30/2010
Aww. I had hoped for a hug, but that wouldn't have been as remarkably canon as this. You have described it so well it almost had tears in my eyes. Well done.
McGonagall's Bola chapter 4 . 8/30/2010
Well written once again!
McGonagall's Bola chapter 3 . 8/30/2010
Aww. Typical McG. Well done.
McGonagall's Bola chapter 2 . 8/30/2010
I LOVE this. Well written. Very plausible. You have portrayed both Min and Dumbledore splendidly! Poor Min, though.
McGonagall's Bola chapter 1 . 8/30/2010
This was very well written. You have portrayed Minerva really well. She's strong and headstrong, just like you wrote her. She wouldn't give up at that. Since we haven't seen her in love or ever mentioning love, I would say it is quite plausible Min might be a lesbian.
Vera Rozalsky chapter 5 . 6/20/2010
I'm not sure how to review this story, without close-reading it nearly sentence by sentence and producing a review as long as the original. What you've done admirably here (to choose McGonagall's favorite adverb of praise) is to take on one of the more horrific faces of war and to show-not-tell what being a survivor means.

Another reviewer said that JKR doesn't get into details about rape, but it's clear that the wizarding world offers plenty of analogues; you explore one of them here, the experience of possession and its uses in superimposing the perpetrator's mindset on the victim. And after all, it's the psychological scars that last the longest...

Your closing scene is marvelous, and in particular this exchange:

/"At least we've learned something, Harry. Voldemort is powerful; we'd be mad to deny it. But so are we. Deep down, he's very much what he's always been - just Tom Riddle, a jumped-up prick. I've found it helps to think of that."

Harry started to grin again, until he realised what her choice of these words meant: out here, on what seemed like the frozen edge of the world, she wasn't talking to him as his teacher, but as an equal. As a fellow survivor./

The other thing you've done, which gleams like a candle in darkness, is to treat this theme with the respect and seriousness it deserves: not to eroticize abuse, and to _teach_, to transmit some practical wisdom which may be of use to some reader some day in a dark place.

Thank you.
Swallow B chapter 5 . 6/7/2010
That was very well done. Not melodramatic or overwritten at was perfectly in character. Harry was exactly the Harry of the books in his reactions. Of course, there would have been rape, even if JKR hardly even alludes to it, and it is very like Voldemort to drag Harry into it. Well, we know he's a 've done a good job on a very delicate subject.
JUJUChick16 chapter 5 . 1/7/2010
LOVED IT! The rape thing slightly intense but I like how you had them work it out. It made sense and was well put together. SPECTACULAR!
usiylover2 chapter 5 . 12/26/2009
As usual, amazing. Beautiful. The rape was perfect in every way (well, as perfect as a rape can be) and Minerva was equisitly in character. Well done!
White Eyebrow chapter 5 . 8/19/2009
I really enjoyed this. What impressed me the most was not necessarily the premise, but rather the fact that you were able to do it while keeping the characters "in character."

Well done.

-WE
tetleybag chapter 5 . 8/2/2009
Came here for the Grubbly-Plank appearance, of course, but ended up finding the whole story fantastic. I'd always given up on rape scenes after a line or two before-yours is the first one I actually read because your style made it it instantly recognisable as an essential part of the story as opposed to rape for the sake of rape, it was perfectly in character, and just explicit enough without being voyeuristic.

And I just loved how you have them deal with it in the end.
cruailsama chapter 5 . 7/14/2009