Reviews for Black Dog Night
Spikesagitta chapter 2 . 7/10/2010
nice, for a moment there i thought it was Lillet, guess not

i see it's been quite a while since you wrote in this series, i wonder if you will write anything else from GrimGrimoire?
Wolf-of-Five-Elements chapter 2 . 12/31/2009
Heh... nice. I was not expecting that... quite an intriguing story though. Great job.
Extraintrovert chapter 2 . 12/10/2008
While reading this I had continual recollections of The Hound of the Baskervilles, which is scarcely a negative as a tale told of a dark family history and a hellish curse that spans generations is highly underrated as a source of horror. Although the familiarity did make the source of the Beast less unexpected, the actual conclusion more than compensated. For closing notes, I highly appreciate the Dumbo reference (pink elephants for the win), and the abundance of almost frustratingly antiquated terminology, which lends the tale authenticity and also ensures that a dictionary is constantly within my reach.
DreamShadower chapter 2 . 11/20/2008
That was really well done. It's also nice that you write about the other characters or at least what exactly they could be doing. :3
Person With Many Aliases chapter 2 . 11/1/2008
Heh, read this a day late... Well, a short story, but pretty satisfying. So a different character this time round... heh, and you also did a one shot with Hiram a while back, too.

It was a good read, but only 2 chapters, so yeh, done up quickly enough. I hope to see more updates from the usuals then. Happy Halloween.
Sunder the Gold chapter 2 . 11/1/2008
Yup, thought that was Margarita. Surprise indeed. It was a nice touch that you could disguise her from the reader simply by having her give a different name. I haven't checked, but I suspect your description of her appearance here is much as it was in "Graduation Day." That slipped past me at first. It was her personality and behavior, and the presence of sorcery, that started me suspecting she was her, there to put a stop to devilry.

You offer a respectable possibility for why she ran away from the Silver Star Tower. Not (solely?) because of a foolish dedication to crusade against the Archmage's remnants, but because eventually someone was going to demand she name names against the people who took her in, and she'd rather have peace than witch-hunts, even if she has to do some policing herself. Saddly, I suppose she's not returning to "normal life" anytime soon.

She used devils instead of fae, but I suppose that's what I'd do if I meant to kill a man in cold blood, even - or especially - a would-be murderer.

Of course I wondered if Pine were the sorceror, but he seemed far too weak-kneed to bend spirits to his whim, much less devils. I also noticed that in this second chapter, he relaxes; this was suspicious, but his attitude seemed all wrong for a guilty man, or even just a scheming one, so I still didn't seriously suspect him.

Didn't suspect the real culprit, however. Though Thomas seems to, at the end.

Jolais' mysterious disappearance explains why there was no buzz about the Calvert family during the other story, either. Wonder what Margarita thinks when she hears about it, and about her old friends' involvement.
Person With Many Aliases chapter 1 . 10/26/2008
Hey-o. Another new story, huh? Well, congrats, I suppose. Also congrats for... single handedly dominating the new GrimGrimoire section as well, if that's supposed to make anyone feel good. I would.

Hm... Horror... Mystery? If this were someplace else I would have easily said "iz dat sum Baskervilles?" (using "lol" is a bit beyond me.) Well, GrimGrimoire, regardless. And more Calvert. Heh, you seem to be enjoying using them. Now expanding into a whole dreadful family history. Regardless, I await Lilet, or whichever else GrimGrimoire character will be arriving. I'm sure this'll be fun. So till then.
Sunder the Gold chapter 1 . 10/26/2008
Hmm, tasty. And mechanically some of your finest work. With an offering such as this, the regret of not seeing another installment of "The Making of a Family" is minimal. Especially if what I suspect is true.

Black ghost dogs and hellhounds are a particular interest of mine. I like them so much I made an original character based on the general concept, in another fandom. But I had never before now considered that GrimGrimoire's Necromancy could possibly create what the Japanese call "inugami." The traditional, reprehensible, ghastly way that living dogs would be butchered into vengeful spirits would be the ancient ritual preceeding the more efficient, neat, and humane use of a Rune to summon forth the spirit of an already dead dog. I imagine it would be roughly equal to a Phantom. And given that Sorcery could concievably allow one to twist and mutate mundane creatures (and indeed, it would probably be much safer than summoning devils), a sorceror could turn a dog into a hellhound roughly equal to a Demon. Glamour's realm of fae creatures probably includes great dog or wolf spirits as useful as Unicorns, and Alchemy could theoretically create a golem in canine form, specialized for speed and close-combat instead of hardiness and bombardment.

In any case, I see you've decided to capitalize on established authorial characters and expand the Calvert family. No mention of the recent diabolic artist in the capital though, which suggests this is an earlier event.

But regarding devils, it seems that you will finally show some of your other readers why devils are so very dangerous. And in a way that, thankfully, doesn't bring Advocat back into Lillet and Amoretta's sphere.

As I implied earlier, I think I spy a secret hidden and not yet meant to be even suspected. I wait with happy anticipation to see if I am right - I was apparently wrong the last time, with "Family", and such an outcome is also delightful. I suppose this is akin to anticipating the surprises of Christmas morning.
Artful Lounger chapter 1 . 10/26/2008
Not a bad beginning, though I wouldn't have known that it was a Grimgrimoire story if not for the name of Calvert. I hope this turns into a good story though to be honest I wish you would get back to workign on the other one.