Reviews for Shadows
Selective scifi junkie chapter 2 . 4/26/2010
I'm re reading this because I love it so much. You're not just a writer, you're a craftsman.

Since I'm reviewing, two little things that surprise me a bit. You said Sam would willingly lay pinned. In England, that's normally lie pinned. Probably anglo-american split. Just, did you check the cannon for when Sam ceased to be afraid of the dark (Emancipation). I didn't but I thought she was two, but she could have been exagerating.

This is the only thing on my favorites list. Favorite should be a superlative. One shouldn't have more than that in my opinion.
Selective scifi junkie chapter 6 . 3/20/2010
Fantastic catharsis you create here. The imagery is just amazing too. Was the place with the pooling blood where she felt like she was going to vomit Netu? It's reminiscent of stuff I've written but not posted. The comparison of what Fifth did to her and rape is horrificaly powerful. Do you think he actually did that to her?

This needed exploration. In the show, she jsut shrugged it off. It was never mentioned again. For a start, wouldn't you think she'd have problems with Pete after the farm gig?

The actually torture itself is the only time we ever see Sam break. It's her Baal. Your interpretation explains why, why she fell apart and begged him to stop. What you've got here would do that to anyone. It doesn't comprimise Sam by stating what she went through. If any thing it makes her stronger.

Just fantastic.
Selective scifi junkie chapter 4 . 3/20/2010
My Mum and I have been pulling this to pieces since last night (yes, we buddy read all your stuff. Originally, I would trawl the site and report anything good I found. You're an exeption. We read you by defalult.) We found it a bit odd how Sam just shrugged off Fifth in the first place. This is a great exploration. These nightmares are brilliant. The confusion is so like a nightmare. Just one thing. It could be an anglo/american split, but in the UK, to allude is to hint at. To ellude is to evade. Is that what you mean at the end of chapter 4?
Selective scifi junkie chapter 1 . 3/20/2010
As ever, the characterisation (what really makes or breaks a fan fic for me) is flawless, like the english. I love the condolence letter thing. It's not something that's refered to much (OK, Hammond does a couple of times) and it frankly deserved more coverage.

I really shouldn't have read this, I haven't seen Atlantis past series 2 yet, but I couldn't resist. Oh well.

By the way, the one of yours I wasn't so crazy about (hey, you asked) was the Christmas Carol one. I just never really had anything for the original CC and couldn't really follow your application of it to Jack.
Natters chapter 6 . 11/3/2008
good fic
sg-1fanintn chapter 6 . 11/2/2008
Wow! I hadn't considered this scenario...but it's a very credible follow-up to what happened in canon.

Thanks for writing them so beautifully.
Neiths Arrow chapter 6 . 11/2/2008
Excellent story Astra. You really managed to creep me out. Can't wait for your next story. (smile)
Neiths Arrow chapter 3 . 10/30/2008
OMG! This is such a creepy story so far. I can't wait to read the rest. How appropriate for Halloween!
PapayaK chapter 1 . 10/27/2008
Okay - Gave it some more thought and I just wanted to say that I really liked the way you handled their "Established" relationship. Don't usually read est. myself because A. Amanda Tapping was right. They should never get together (on the show). It wasn't their romantic relationship I loved, it was the possibility of one. I loved their relationship just as it was. And B. Most people who write est. (myself included) don't quite get the voices right. Either they're too mushy - or the relationship gets put under a microscope. You did a fabulous job of not making the Relationship into one of the characters. It was simply there, an accepted fact. And you got the voices. You kept Sam's independence and strength, while not diminishing Jack's natural status as leader and protector. (Which is just what I think every marriage should be (I'm going to assume they're married)) The understanding partnership between them was palpable.

This, all combined, made for a story that was clear, well described and easy to fall into. I couldn't 'put it down.'

Thanks for sharing.
Zoser chapter 4 . 10/27/2008
Oh thanks APA - this is the stuff nightmares are made of. If I wake from dozing in front of the TV and my husband morphs into Fifth it will be all your fault! BTW very well written.
PapayaK chapter 6 . 10/27/2008
Wow... Just Wow.
angiespotter chapter 6 . 10/27/2008
Great fic as always! Thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming!
Ibaraz chapter 6 . 10/27/2008
Beautiful, brilliant... You are fantastic at describing both Sam and Jack and the feelings they feel, your words makes me feel what they are feeling too. It really is a beautiful peice you have here, I wish, one day, I could write as well as you do. :)
sez101 chapter 6 . 10/26/2008
wow i loved it good job
Asugar chapter 1 . 10/26/2008
The emotions are handled beautifully here. I love how you so subtly indicate how hard this is for Jack without ever outright saying it. Sam's disclosure to Elizabeth's mother was very nice.