Reviews for Parenting Your Gifted Child
nochickflickmoments chapter 1 . 2/19/2009
I've already come across this story over at supernaturalville, but I wanted to read it again, because I'm in need of brotherly love; and you really did a wonderful job, without being over the top - so no hug, because they only hug if one of them is dieing or has died - and cute little dean reading up for sammy, broke my heart, very touching; also like this one:

“I can’t do that, Dean. You…what you did for me…I won’t forget it, man.” Sam’s voice was earnest, touched. He suddenly wondered what other things Dean had done for him, without being asked, without him even knowing, to make Sam’s childhood better. He’d done a lot that Sam knew about; when you added in all the rest—the things Sam had been unaware of or taken for granted—well, it added up to a lot. A lifetime’s worth of love and devotion and self-sacrifice. Sam felt a rush of love for his big brother and seriously considered risking life and limb to give him a hug.

*sniff* take care
Saffygirl chapter 1 . 2/11/2009
Awesome oneshot!
Mersedes chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
Wow, I remembered reading this, but I can't believe I forgot to review! Omgsh, this is amazing. I love that you make Dean the bashful, yet gruff figure in this. You truly bring out his character. Your characterizations are completely SPOT ON! And this is a great window to the past regarding how exactly Sam became so smart. And I think it's wonderful that you show Dean as the dutiful, loving older brother who will slave through pages and pages of text just so that he can help his younger brother. Wow, if that doesn't show the brother-to-brother dynamic w/e them, I don't know what does. I really like that you build up the suspense-that Sammy is incredulous his father did so much work. This mistake really brings out the depth of Dean's love for Sammy, and also really shows Sam's astonishment at his brother's devotion. My favorite part is where Sam finds out that it was Dean, and not his dad, that did all the work to help him. _ WONDERFUL STORY! You're an extremely talented writer who knows just what heartstrings to pull :P
PseudoImp chapter 1 . 2/9/2009
This is by far the best fan fiction i have read my entire life. I am so touched by this. wishing so bad I can see this on TV. it is so something that would happen between SAM and DEAN on the series. you captured them spot-on.

i so love this. i so do. i love you for making this.

and you got nominated? dude, you don't deserve that! you deserve MORE THAN THAT! You deserve to win.
sayrae3times chapter 1 . 2/9/2009
Oh wow. This was AMAZING! I love the idea of Sam and Dean sorting through their dad's stuff. I always wondered what other treasures they would find there. But I never expected the book belonging to Dean! That's just so...so very Dean! That is totally something that Dean would have done. And, I might add, throwing the book away sounds totally like something John would have done. We know John did the best he could, but we also know who REALLY raised Sam.

Anyway, your descriptions of the boys are right on and the emotion level is perfect - not too sappy but yet still managing to make you go all warm and fuzzy inside with brotherly affection. Sigh. I really miss these moments that are sadly lacking in the episodes now. Good work and I can't wait to read more of your stuff!
PADavis chapter 1 . 2/5/2009
This was charming. Deftly handled too - I liked how we found out at Sam's pace who owned the book. Nice characterization, and a more than believable look at young Dean. What a great discovery.

Phoebe
adder574 chapter 1 . 2/5/2009
I wish they had showed a scene like this in the show, with Sam and Dean going through John's locker. I really liked the image of Dean and Sam sitting together and reading the comics. Sam's line about Dean's childhood was right on.

It was typical Dean to keep the book and read it. It was sad that Sam realized that there was really no one to make sure that Dean lived up to his potential.

Would you ever consider writing the story of John at Parent/Teacher night. I wonder what Dean's teacher had to say about him.
supernaturalsammy67 chapter 1 . 2/4/2009
OMG!

this was INCREDABLE!

*SNIFF*

omg...this was soo soo beautiful and enlightening

getting a glimpse into what Dean did and their past and their relationship

aww

really amazing fic hun!

J.A. Carlton chapter 1 . 2/2/2009
Aw man that's awesome!

So many of us wholly believe that Dean was so much more of a father to Sam than ever considered... it's great that you gave us a way to have the youngun find out what his heart already knew. ;D

Great work bhoney! :D

Thanks for the lovely treat!

sifi
webofdreams89 chapter 1 . 1/29/2009
Awesome story! I loved absolutely every word! Great job!
SimplyOut chapter 1 . 1/29/2009
I don't usually read Wee!chester but yours are great! I enjoyed reading this story! :D
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 1/25/2009
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I love the idea of the brothers visiting the storage unit. This would have been a nice scene to see at the end of the episode "BDABR". We could have used this after Bela shot Sam.

I love that Dean made sure John read Sam's valedictorian speech and taught Sam to read with the comic books.

I always liked John, so I could picture him keeping a box full of memories of his boys.

One of my favorite lines said it all, 'For all that it hadn’t been perfect, it had been a simpler time, before Sam’s powers, before their dad’s death and final warning to Dean, before the clock was ticking down what might be their last year together unless they could find a way around Dean’s deal.'

Thanks for the thought from Sam, 'It wasn’t that Dean wasn’t smart; he was one of the smartest people Sam knew...' Some writers dumb Dean down, which I don't believe is right.

The big reveal at the end, that Dean read the book on gifted children to help Sam was perfect.

Thanks for the smile and for sharing your story with us.

Until next time, take care.
shesamonster chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
There aren't words for how epic this is. :D I just...yeah, no words. Awesome job!
clair beaubien chapter 1 . 1/23/2009
I absolutely love the image of Dean teaching Sam how to read out of comic books, being patient with him when Sam couldn’t be patient with himself.

I also love Dean’s comment: “You want that apple pie life, man, we’ll find a way. We’ll work it out.” Whatever Sam wants, Sam gets because Dean will find a way to get it for him.

And it was painful that Sam would think “gifted” meant “cursed”, that his Dad would be reading a book on how to raise a doomed child, that it wouldn’t occur to Sam that he has gifts way beyond his ‘abilities.’

This line made me laugh: Dean hadn’t opened his eyes yet, still hoping against hope that a sinkhole would open and swallow him. What? Weirder things had happened. Especially in their line of work. Poor Dean. Not gonna happen. He’s got to explain to his little brother.

And then the end – Sammy trying to figure out everything little thing he’ll never know that Dean did for him. And when Dean says “you’ll make a great Dad” Sam says, “Because YOU taught me.”

I’m glad you let Dean accept the compliment “Dude, haven’t you heard? I’m Brother of the Year.”

I do so love those boys – and the way you captured them.

Great job!
silentmuse26 chapter 1 . 1/1/2009
D: You suck, I'm gunna cry. That was such a Dean thing to do.

Aw, Dean.