Reviews for Parenting Your Gifted Child
Anne1013 chapter 1 . 1/10/2010
I loved this story. I think, that as fans, we sometimes tend to romanticize John Winchester. He was not a good father. He left his children alone, at a young age, for days at a time. He dragged them all over the country, they never had a permanent home. It was always about his need for revenge and not Dean and Sammy's needs.

“If I am (ever a good father), it’ll only be cuz I learned from the best,” Sam responded quietly.

Total chick flick moment, but a wonderful one. Sam knows his brother has always done for him, but to what extent a young Dean went to, he learns here from the book. A book that Dean had highlighted and made notes in. Games that they played as boys.

It is a heavy burden indeed that Sam carries, that his brother sold his soul for his. Dean always put Sam's needs before his own (as a good parent does). It is nice to see Sam get the chance to tell Dean thank you, even if it does make Dean cringe.

flitwick chapter 1 . 1/3/2010
Aw, this warmed me up and made me smile!
sandymg chapter 1 . 1/2/2010
I loved this. Smiled all through it. Lovely brother voices. Great snark. I pulled out some really sweet bits ...

This: “No biggie,” Dean brushed it off as unimportant, leaving Sam unsure as to whether it actually had been or whether his brother just wanted him to think it was.

- Good inner voice for Sam.

This: It was the little things in life that made Dean happy, a quality he found endearing, but knew better than to comment on.

- Ditto to above. Very Sam to realize this. And true for Dean

This: Dean nodded. “Yeah, mom made him get the bubblegum ones, even though Dad said a real man would hand out real cigars. But she said it was my celebration too—you being born—and they should get something I could enjoy too.” He smiled at the memory. “That was the first time I ever had bubblegum—the day you were born. I’d been begging for it for a while, and mom said that since I was a big brother now, I was finally old enough. It was the best thing I’d ever tasted.” Dean’s face had softened. “That was a great day,” he finished quietly.

- Meep! Aw. Loved this passage

This: Dean hadn’t opened his eyes yet, still hoping against hope that a sinkhole would open and swallow him. What? Weirder things had happened. Especially in their line of work.

- Perfect Dean voice

This: But his brother’s belief in him meant a lot. Meant everything.

- Love this line.

Really nice little story. Will check out more as soon as I have a little more time. I can tell I'll like :)
PersonifyThis chapter 1 . 12/24/2009
Aw this is too precious! I absolutely love it! It's so true Dean did so much for Sam that I bet he's not even aware of. Really sweet story :)
Elm Treigh chapter 1 . 11/26/2009
AW! So adorable!

Makes me love Dean more! This was great! XD
Crimson Ivy chapter 1 . 11/19/2009
Wonderful story! So warm and sweet... It made my day! :D
theresa k chapter 1 . 11/17/2009
i thought that this was a well written fic. and it would seem like something that would happen to the boys. and it seemed like dean would really do those things for sam because he cared so much, and since im pmsing, i kinda teared up just a tiny bit at the end. but all in all, i thought that it was very good. keep writng.
Girl-Can't-Help-It chapter 1 . 10/29/2009
I really liked this! It was good!
LivingForTv chapter 1 . 10/21/2009
Aw... Very well captured! "Dean having the attention span of a 5-year old on sugar high", highligted markers, the games they'd play... And Dean admitting that he is "Brother of the Year" if he can do it with a laugh:-) Cool!
sg2009 chapter 1 . 10/9/2009
I've been doing more writing than reading this week, but I was looking over your stuff and I realized I read this story quite a few months before I had a account or had any idea how to leave a review. I really loved it then!

I liked this part especially:

It wasn’t that Dean wasn’t smart; he was one of the smartest people Sam knew. He just had the attention span of a five-year-old on a sugar high. And it made Sam ache to wonder who there had been to make sure Dean lived up to his potential. He cleared his throat and tried again, “Dean…I don’t even know what to say, man.”

The show hints every so often that Dean is just as smart as Sam, but they never really dive into it. Also, I'm certified in gifted education and maybe that's why this struck me. But your description of both Sam and Dean (though different)fit the common profiles of gifted kids. There have been quite a few gifted kids (esp. boys) mislabeled as ADHD because they get bored so easily and seem not to pay attention and they tend not to do well in school unless someone pays attention to their floundering or they decide school matters after all on their own...sorry I diverging off into education theory land...oops

Anyway, I liked the whole idea of Dean making sure Sam did well in school. It seems to fit with his character and how he behaved in 'Afterschool Special' - making sure Sam had his books and everything. I get the impression he always tried to do his best to make sure Sam got what he didn't.

Very nice story! And I see from your reviews the masses agree (:
BeckaBoo1735 chapter 1 . 10/3/2009
oky, before i read this, i was 3 second away from killing my brothers for giving me a double dose of cold, i was super pissed off at my homework and the fact that i have another test at colege, and i cant string 2 words together in my next chapter thanks to my headache...but man that helped! THANK YOU! loved it! so cute! bless Dean and helping sammy out! aw games they used to play to keep sams brain non mushy, aaw! to read the rest, you'll have me grinning at some point today i hope lol x
Yellowbulma chapter 1 . 9/26/2009
Aww so cute!
Gohanzgirl chapter 1 . 9/25/2009
I loved it!
Linz1224 chapter 1 . 9/18/2009
That. Was. Amazing. I'm in awe. Really wonderful.
Chronicles of an Insomniac chapter 1 . 9/15/2009
Wow, I am completely in love this story! The way you set the scene made them finding this stuff totally believable. The conversation between the brothers about having kids made me tear up, and put that together the book Sam found and I actually had a tear making it's way down my face. Of course I also had a huge smile, and a chuckle or two for Dean's obvious discomfort. He is such a great brother, and I love the stories about him taking care of little Sammy.

You're a great writer, and I love all of your stuff. You make everything sentimental, but it's not over the top. Great job on it all!

248 | « Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 .. Last Next »