Reviews for Janus Masks
Free as the Birds chapter 5 . 9/1/2013
Please update! I really like this story.
Dewittypinkerton chapter 5 . 6/24/2013
Great premise, I'm completely hooked to this AU of Beast Boy/ Animal being Slade's apprentice.
Hope you pick this up, it has such a great start and it'd be a shame to keep it from rolling on.
Thisisentertaining chapter 5 . 12/9/2012
I really like this, its an interesting idea Please continue soon!
RabulaTasa chapter 5 . 2/3/2012
I don't know how, but somewhere along the way I missed that there was a fifth chapter to this.

For some reason, I really want to smack Animal with a golf club or something.. he's just so damned cocky. Maybe another round with Crowbar Man would help relieve some of the swelling his head is experiencing. One would hope that he would slowly become a bit less of a jerk over time, but I don't have high hopes for him.

And Raven, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get you.

-John
Denalien chapter 5 . 7/26/2010
this is a great story,i don't understand why you don't continue it...

I WANT MORE CHAPTERS!
katty12 chapter 5 . 8/20/2009
I'm glad you started writing again. I loved this story from the start. keep writing.
Karkadinn chapter 4 . 7/8/2009
Glad I took the time to hunt down your profile again and see what else you've been up to lately. It's so hard to find a believable evil Beast Boy fic. :)

You've done a particularly good job in the last chapter by throwing in multiple hidden stress factors between Raven and Animal, building up the good ol' paranoia while the rest of the team remains plausibly oblivious. One wonders how well Animal can keep up the act over the long term... impossible to tell how much being trained by Slade has really changed his personality, until we see further how he reacts to further inevitable conflict developments. On the other side, it's also interesting to see how the Titans are managing without having a green jester around to lighten things up.

The inclusion of Wintergreen, even if only as an aside, was also a great choice, it was annoying that we never got to see him explained properly in the show.

I don't normally go for AU fics too much, but you've sucked me in.
ObsidianDaydream chapter 4 . 5/12/2009
“Yeah, Slade? You know the Titans? I think all we’ll have to do is collapse buildings on them, they’re very squishy.”

Floored me D. Great chapter!
PrettyfulSmilies chapter 4 . 5/9/2009
This was a intresting idea. I'm really enjoy ing reading it so please continue!
RabulaTasa chapter 4 . 4/27/2009
He's a wiley little cur, ain't he? He's definitely got his work cut out for him though in foolin' the Titans, and it looks like round one goes to Rae-Rae. Then again, since she missed her guess regarding his intentions, he's only lost the battle and not the war.

Ah, the ol' crazy religious mother routine. I bet Raven /never/ gets tired of /that/. I wonder how Animal's going to try and exploit that bit of knowledge to his advantage...

DFTBA

-John
Denalien chapter 4 . 4/27/2009
WWOW

oh my! I can't wait to see the next chapters!PLS hurry,i'm interested!
dr.evil99 chapter 3 . 4/19/2009
While there was an element of deception to Animal, I couln't help but let out a bit of an "aw" at the Gar/Raven bit in the medlab. Shipper to the core, I guess.

The Titans bought Animal's story pretty easily, it seems. I thought Robin might be more suspicious, given who he learned his trade from, and all. But then, they also bought Terra's story pretty quick too, so, who's to say? Nice touch with Cyborg being so over-protective of the T-car.

The thing that stands out to me most about the bit with Slade is the observation by Animal that Slade won't attack the Titans in an underhanded way... he wants to fight them head-on, for the sake of honor. This hews much closer to the Comic version of Slade (Deathstroke, if one prefers,) and I have to say, this makes me very happy. It's going to be great having Slade be something beyond a one-note villain with ephemeral motives.

What would be nice in coming chapters would be a demonstration of just what sorts of capabilities Animal might really have. After all, he was trained by the greatest assassin in the DCU. So far, we've only seen him get his tail whipped by a random robber (I have some suspicions about this robber, but I'll voice them elswhere...) Also, the potential for character interaction with Animal and the Titans is excellent here. I'm not sure how attached Animal is to his role as Slade's mole (in fact, I'm not sure of much about him, but I sense that was the intent you had here) It should be a pleasure seeing where his arc goes (shipper-me hopes in Raven's direction, but you know how I am.) This story is off to an excellent start, and the future installments should be great with this base to build on. Fine work, as always from you.
dr.evil99 chapter 2 . 4/19/2009
Okay, only your more loyal fans are going to get the joke with our two members of Jump City's finest, but... I'm definitely grinning here. It's nice to get an outside perspective on two of my favorites. And Smith might be a little embarassed to find out Raven thinks he's rather attractive... and I'm not sure if Brenda will be irritated (wait, she's always irritated) or would tease Smith about being so alluring. Yin and Yang, indeed.

Robin? Well, he's a dick (no pun intended.) That's all I can really say about him. Something tells me he's going to be suspicious of their "guest" just as a matter of course. Perhaps justifiably so, but still.

So, we have an awaking Gar, and Raven without the empathic abilities to sense potential deception. This was a rather short chap (easily explained by being written durning NaNoWriMo,) but I can definitely say I liked everything here.
dr.evil99 chapter 1 . 4/19/2009
First off, excellent use of a scene from the TV series to give us a sense of the timeframe the story takes place in. Also, having the HIVE headmisstres' perspective on Slade adds to his air of menace. You figure this is a lady who's seen pretty much everything when it comes to villains, and if she's nervous around him...

You take much time here building a sense of Raven's character through the housecleaning scene, and it was a good idea. just from this brief bit, we come to understand something of how she thinks, how she relates to her fellow Titans, and how she deals with the multiple emotion-personifications she has running around in her head. Also, you hint that a team-member from the canon isn't here, (Raven wouldn't be able to talk about the cooking of ther fellow Titans in canon without mentioning BB,) without beating us over the head with this difference by going out of the way to point it out. These are small details, but that is what ultimately separates great stories from good ones.

When we get back to Slade and his "apprentice," it's fairly apparent to those who pay attention who his pupil is, but again you resist just coming out and saying it. The personality is there, in bits like his constant eating, and his snappy bantering with Slade. I've seen other "BB-is-Slade's-Apprentice" stories before, but in all the ones I recall, Beast Boy felt like a totally different character from the one we know. It's early yet, but it seems like here you're trying to keep something of the guy we know, while having his circumstances be very different from Canon. It's a good choice, I feel. Also, having him refer to himself as "Animal" was a nice way to just slightly differentiate himself from the show-verse.

You told me this story would be a would be something I end up either liking or really disliking... and so far, I'm definitely liking what you're doing here. This promises to show us my favorite character from an unfamiliar angle, and since it's you doing it, I have every confidence I'll keep on liking it.
Denalien chapter 3 . 3/27/2009
Cool fic!You really shold continue!