Reviews for A Losing Game
Batknight chapter 30 . 3/4
Wow, can't believe I'm finally here. I've spent the last two days reading through this whole story and it's been a blast. I grew up with Digimon as a kid and I couldn't have asked for better written versions of these characters in high school. You've perfectly capture exactly how I would expect these characters would turn out in their late teens, and developed them in ways similar to the show, but done using a more mature, down to earth plot. Your exploration and personal spin of Tai and Matt's rivalry/friendship dynamic and their personal insecurities was wonderfully done. Your characterization of Izzy (like how he stood up to Tai) and especially Mimi (For every line of hilarious banter she had with Tai) was strong as well. But I think what's most impressive about this story is that you've written a Digimon story...with no Digimon, or digital world, and yet have made it compelling the whole way through. That is a impressive feet. The only negative I might have is that despite Tai and Sora relationship being quite enjoyable, Sora as a character has kinda felt more like a plot device than anything else. I hope by the end we get a good look at how this whole thing has effected her. In any case I'm looking forward to seeing how this all wraps up, and I'm glad I won't have to wait seven years to see it!
DazzlingClouds chapter 30 . 1/31
I keep re-reading this chapter. The first time I read it, it made me feel like I went through a storm on a supposedly sunny day. I was in the library where it's super quiet but I just can't help squealing and sighing. My heart when Sora told Tai that she's not going! :( Then when I read it the 2nd time, and the 3rd time, I can't help but feel really sorry for Tai. Because, I don't know, it feels like Sora likes him but doesn't? I really don't know, in my opinion she's just such an honest and upright person. It seems like she has some feelings for Tai, but she's keeping them in a box and sealing it up to prevent them from overflowing just so that she can commit to Matt. Gosh, she's even starting to be like Matt, wanting to change herself and ignoring what she really wants so that she can make him happy. (IMO Selfless but problematic in the long run...)

As for Tai, it's different. Sora ranks no. 1 on his priority list so it's acceptable to me. This chapter really showed me how Sora and Matt are trying too hard to make their relationship work, so much so that they have finally reached a point where it's obvious that it's time to let go, because the relationship will be a hindrance to both of them and not make them happier. (I'm more biased towards TaixSora so this is how I interpreted it, haha.) I'm rooting for Taiora here because Tai is the one who lets Sora be who she wants to be while staying true to himself. I mean, he chose Kyoto knowing the possibility that Sora would remain with Matt, right? But he still decided to go there because what he really wants is to be with her. Whereas Sora wants to remain in Tokyo for Matt when what she really wants is Kyoto University. And Matt, I think he's tired of making any more compromises that is against what he wants. Sighpie. Can't wait for the next chapter and all the best for everything! :)
hortum chapter 30 . 1/20
Oooooo, totally on tenterhooks now! I feel a bit bad for Sora, she's really been put on the spot now
KaChan84 chapter 30 . 1/19
Wow, what an ending! I'm really excited (and kinda scared!) of Sora's reaction... This story is teenage drama perfection, thank you ;) Seriously, thank you for writing! :) Have a great 2015, all the best for you, hope hearing from you soon...i.e. whenever you have the time to write some more and escape RL for a little bit (and let us readers escape, too)...I'll definately be jumping for joy! ha!

CHEERS!
HevnoAngered chapter 30 . 1/19
You are still my main event romance fic and this chapter still proves why. Just so much conflict.
GuestPassingBy chapter 30 . 1/18
Oh man, the truth finally comes out! Great chapter!
Omggg that cliff hanger... You are evil... Please update soooon...
DephsXylex chapter 30 . 1/18
So, it all comes out. I'm excited to see Sora's reaction. I'm sure it will not be everything Tai hopes it will be. I hope you find the time to update soon! If anyone gives you any crap, ignore them. Life congress first. It's not like you're getting paid for this.
DeathCon18 chapter 30 . 1/18
OMG HE DID IT HE DID IT! iajdfioajfkjaldsj (Calm down, breathe in, breathe out)

Ok sorry about that. Now lets get to the review.

Yeah, Sora got accepted to Kyoto! Her and Tai are going to have so much fun with new adventurers. If Matt was a real good bf he would be happy and want Sora to go. He would also do everything he can to make their relationship work with hours between them.

Tai is not really a dumbass for choshing Kyoto over Tokyo. He just followed his heart instead of just doing what he thought he wonted.

Tai was not expecting Sora to say see was not going to go to Kyoto. He also did not expect the reason for her not to go ether. That is what push Tai over the edge to tell someone what the reason was for him in choosing Kyoto over Tokyo. Sora did not expect what he was telling her let alone, hear what he was saying.

Well you could say that Tai gave Sora the ball for her to score with by saying; "Don't stay in Tokyo for Matt. Go to Kyoto for me". What will Sora do with the ball? Score with it, or miss with it?

P.S. Another good chapter and keep up the good work when ever you have the time and feel like it.
makeyourlifehappy chapter 30 . 1/18
great chapter! i'm so glad that you finally did upload. please upload the next chapter ASAP! can't wait for the rest
Angelfish369 chapter 30 . 1/17
whoa tai finally told her! ya, it was pretty stupid of him to choose kyoto over tokyo for a girl, but what can he do now? can't wait to see sora's response. it will determine everything for the rest of the story! by the way I really like the last paragraph. the way tai was going on desperately until he finally revealed the truth - so good!
calisalex chapter 30 . 1/17
Geez that came out pretty quickly why he wanted to go to Kyoto and all... I feel like this story just got more serious all of a sudden and isn't the same light hearted story but of course I'm staying until the end haha you're writing is just amazing and I hope you keep it up :)
Lycopene chapter 29 . 11/30/2014
Okay. SO! I stumbled upon this a couple of days ago as my growing Digimon craze (since I'm just growing excited we'll be getting a new season of adventure in sping, asdnnfioadsbhfohdodifao) so this will probably a long ass review that will have to do for 28 chapters of reviews I didn't write so bear with me.
First will start with congratulating you. Even if some chapters are uneven in quality, the overall composition of the story is way over the usual standards so, congrats. Some chapters were downright genius. I cried at two of them, right when Tai was at his lowest, perhaps because it reminded me of myself at my lowest. The fact that you can make us connect to these characters on an emotional level speaks a lot of you as an author.
Now, your narration and flow are good, even when not particularly outstanding, however, what I believe you shine most at is the strength of your characterization. You know these characters, but you go farther than that, you make these character more than characters you make them real. These are all three-dimensional people, even sideline less important characters like Izzy or Yolei or T.k. They all have layers and their own persona, not just characters who stand around for the sake of being around. If anything, this is what has made your story what it is, AMAZING.
Even when uneven at times, I really really enjoy the character growth Tai (and other characters, but more importantly Tai) have been through. I enjoy this is not one-noted. There was a time it was really hard for me to root and empathize with Tai,which was your intention I gather, but he is growing up and it makes me proud of me. Some people complain that it is all too slow, but don't fret much. It really isn't slow in comparison to real life, it's relatively normal or fast if you compare it. Some people remain stuck in their own sucky hellhole for months or years (since I speak from experience), so the fact that Tai is starting to see the light until recently is very realistic.
At first, I really liked Matt. I'm usually not fond of Sorato, since I thought it was really out of the blue (in the show) but the more I've read it recently the more I'm starting to see a charm to it, I also partially blame you. There were sections of this story were Sorato moments also made my heart go all dokidoki. LOL. However, as of late I'm getting a bit annoyed with Matt. I'm expecting him to do the right thing soone or later, which is let Sora go. I think he knows deep down that he'll never be able to occupy or surpass Tai's place in Sora's heart so in the long run it will just end up hurting him more. Sora also is rather infuriating. She is not being honest with her feelings and she is half-guessing herself most of the time, and half-assing her relationship with Matt. Sorta feeling like Mimi, right now. Grrr. But they are teenagers and they are learning what love is about and all that jazz.
I actually have tons and tons of opinions and feelings about your story but this will end up being an extremely long and likely boring review so I'm forcing myself to stop. You can always contact me via PM if you in fact would like to listen to a long rant.
I won't bug you into updating soon. If anyone knows how difficult updating/writing/planning something can be is fellow fanfiction writers, so I'll just leave you on the note that we are all cheering for you and hoping you'll get around updating anytime soon. Many of us are 100% behind this story, and yourself as an author. (Also, I'm glad someone else thinks Heavenly:Deadly is the epitome of what lyrical writing has to be. It deserves more love.)
And finally, I read some typos on the last couple of chaps, which made me giggle, worry not, but they are there. I'm just real picky about stuff like that (hence why I take light years to update). Anyway, I'll be reading you!
Rhett chapter 29 . 10/18/2014
I just found and binge read this story over the last couple days. I really like how you have subverted the standard "die for our ship" triangle mechanic to show our POV character start out as the bad guy and eventually grow to be a better person and give up on being selfish at the expense of others.

I also feel that you have a done a good job showing why Yamato and Sora aren't working out. It's not really anyone's fault, they're just young and communicating badly. You have neatly managed to sidestep the common pratfalls of this kind of story.

Kudos!