Reviews for It Can't Get Worse
Stan Wilson chapter 7 . 7/26/2009
Only one more chapter? AW, man make it a long one.

I love your style.
Uwant2knowButIdonnotTell chapter 8 . 7/25/2009
step outside and you never will know where your steps will lead you to

so or similar to that you could say with this story

its wonderful from start till end

but because that you put all loose ends together theres not more to it

'donT just write stories, start them" thats one of my favorite mottos

you could have stopped with the reawakening in the hospital after the last chance

and nobody would have been sad (exceptions proove the rule)

but despite this run up summary

you have could wrote it (even if you are not in the mood, and believe me you will get there back)

and it would have been a pleasenter end than this

not that i find it not good

its just... dissatisfactory
Jaxom. El Jakulero Grande chapter 8 . 7/16/2009
thats it?

thats the ending...?

that was dissapointing to say the least.

im sure asukaxshinji fans are fuming right now.. [that goes for me aswell]

mind if i try my hand at an ending for this?
skywiseskychan chapter 8 . 7/15/2009
I'm not disapointed you decided against the Shinji Asuka pairing. While I do feel you rushed things a little bit I am far more grateful that you did so and finished the story than deciding to let it linger on forgotten and unfinished. Thank you for doing so.
Fresh C chapter 8 . 7/11/2009
I liked the content of the ending if not so much the execution. It could have been worse. (see what I did there?)

You hit us with a wave of quick facts which did little in the way of emotional response. It may have been better to not tie up the lose ends at all and just ended the chapter at the point where

SPOILERS

asuka rejects Shinji

end SPOILERS

After that you could have left the wrap up to the imagination or perhaps written a short epilogue. Just an idea. Also I'm glad you didn't take the easy way out and give everyone the ending that we all expected (though I have mixed feelings about that because hey... I like that pairing!)

As for the rest of the story, I quite enjoyed it. It was a well written and fun read. Characterization was mostly fine though I do have some qualms with your stereo typing of men and women. I think that just because Shinji became a girl it doesn't make sense that he suddenly has no interest in arcade games. Just like Asuka becoming a man doesn't mean she should lose interest in all her personal little knick knacks. Those are traits that have nothing to do with gender.

But back to characterization. I particularly enjoyed the attention paid to secondary characters such as Hikari, Toji and Kensuke. Their feelings about the changes in their friends seemed realistic and of course somewhat disturbing.

And I guess that's all I want to say. I enjoyed it. Read it straight through from start to finish (at my own detriment - it's 3AM now). Keep up the good work, good luck on you novel and happy writing, sir.
Neferius chapter 8 . 7/10/2009
I understand your reasons and I don't mind the pairings, particularly since Asuka and Hikari's little fling.

The abrupt ending was a little disheartening but sometimes it can't be helped.

Hell, as you stated at the end 'It could have been worse'.

Still, I enjoyed the read and I look forward to your other works.

Read ya Later
starburst98 chapter 8 . 7/9/2009
ending it with "Still hearing the muffled sobs of the girl he loved more than anything, he walked out of the apartment and left her to recover on her own" would have made it a painful, but bittersweet. all that comes after it is just so condensed it turns this ending sour.
Krimzon chapter 8 . 7/8/2009
Asuka... flawed, loveable Asuka... I don't think I can recall another author who can write her the way you do.

Good writing, too bad you're not a sucker for Happy Ending like I am.
Innortal chapter 8 . 7/7/2009
Excellent work as always.
cevgar chapter 8 . 7/6/2009
Ugh, I think I would have preferred the monologue. That ending was a whole load of... well, put it this way. It forced too many difficult plot elements too quickly. Does anyone here buy the bit about Shinji somehow letting herself be led to a love motel? One, Shinji was a boy and should know how they think. Two, Shinji was a boy and should know enough to not let Hikari set her up on a date, especially not as a favor to a friend of a friend's brother. Three, Hikari should have known enough not to set Shinji up with anyone in her current mindset, and certainly not just to appease some friend's brother. Sister's friend, maybe. Four, section two.

Again, you insult our intelligence with your handling of Gendo. Gendo is a man who if not for Rei the 3rd being... temperamental, would have pulled off a 15 year long, three front war against Seele (secret boss organization), the UN (official boss organization) and angel invasion (theological boss organization). Thats not to count the fact that he somehow managed to deceived all but about 5 people in NERV as to the full scope of their endeavors. Yet, he was somehow done in by Rei the second, a little computer work and a bug mic. Yeah, and I bet you have a bridge you want to sell us too. Par the course I suppose.

I guess I'm still kinda pissed off that you are trying to make us believe that people can be sexually attracted and generally in love with themselves, and consequently that denying themselves that love is some great sacrifice. Or that coincidence would have it that the other people around them would all be understanding enough to consider it noble or something. With a lot of effort, and a dozen more chapters you might have been able to convince me, but this slop? No. Another thing that pisses me off, this whole, 'now that my best friend is a boy/girl, I love them!' thing. From one character that might have been ok. Both Touji and Hikari? No dice. People on average are NOT that open minded.

BTW "Hikari set Shinji up on a date with a friend of hers brother."

I think this was supposed to read 'a friend's brother', or 'a friend of her brother's' if you were implying that Hikari has a brother in addition to her two sisters.

So, congratulations on finishing this fic. It boldly went where few have gone before. Props for that. Overall... I didn't like it though. Hated it for the most part. Might have made me a better person for having read it, but I almost trashed this review three times in absolute frustration with this fic in general and this chapter specifically. But you probably knew I wasn't going to like it from my previous reviews. Always a critic, ne? Anyways, despite all that I do still hope to see your next fic soon. Maybe follow that drug addict Maya-chan idea? Not really your style though. Perhaps a post 3I crossover then? Your crossovers turn out well.
Anon chapter 8 . 7/6/2009
Could you please write an alternate ending where they get their bodies back?
NemesisZero chapter 8 . 7/5/2009
Wow, epic crash and burn in these last two chapters.
Crown Phantasm chapter 8 . 7/5/2009
Okay... excuse my french, but...

What. The. Fuck.

(Or ce qui la baise, if you want).

What were you thinking with the last chapter?

Perhaps I should explain.

Generally, in a story, you have an introduction, initial problem, then compounding complication, then conflict resolution, then ending. You got to the conflict resolution stage, then sent the characters off in a different direction entirely.

More to the point, you completely reversed the pairing in the last half of the story. You spent the whole time building sexual tension between Shinji and Asuka, then just left it unresolved... why? The ending feels rushed, sloppy and just plain wrong.

Asuka's behaviour (rejecting Shinji) is completely out of character: affection and love is something she craves, as she was denied it since early childhood. It's just unrealistic that she would push Shinji away like that, nobility be damned.

Furthermore, I was under the impression Rei's relationship with Shinji was friendship, not romantic. From memory (I read the first half of the story a *long* time ago) there was exactly one scene that hinted at a Rei/femShinji relationship.

Normally, I'd say congratulations for radical writing, but this is just too much.

Oh, and I'm firmly for Shinji/Asuka and hate Shinji/Rei pairings, so I dislike it on general principle (hey, I'm biased. Deal with it). Though you do get points for getting rid of the incest thing.

To sum up, promising story with an extremely disappointing ending.
WarpWizard chapter 8 . 7/5/2009
Solid chapter. Asuka's decision is very much like a fucked up thing that would happen in NGE. Good stuff.
Enigma-Nemesis chapter 8 . 7/5/2009
Although the ending did feel rushed, at least you tied up the story well. And I understand what you meant about not milking things longer that it should be. Hopefully now you can focus more on "What We Make of It" (_).
186 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »