Reviews for The Blessed Coterie
SomeGuyOrOther chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
Nicely done: but it doesn't quite work for me as Lovecraft. The Deep ones which are the inspiration for the critters after all number in what presumably is the _billions_, and live at the bottom of the sea. "Edge of extinction" I wouldn't call them. If they _are_ rare, the sense of threat largely vanishes: if they are numbered in the billions, I can't really see a smallish bunch of Charles Dexter Ward-type revenants as a threat to their existence.

Now, as the counterpart and opponents of the Cthulhu Cultists, using their own methods of murder and black magic to opose them, adopting the same foul methods as the immortal masters of the cult to live on, fighting to prevent the waking of Cthulhu by any means possible, no matter what the casualties - for if they lose, all humanity is either dead or transformed into something monstrous - that would work better for me. And they must remain secret, for general knowledge of their methods would lead to humanity destroying itself in no time flat - can you say "Dunwich Horror?"

As it is, they strike me as murderous loonies following a quixotic quest while doing nothing about the _real_ problem - the awakening of the big C. when the stars are right. I like the basic idea - those who fight monsters in the Lovecraft universe will almost certainly become monsters themselves if they expect to keep winning, or at least keeping the score even - but things sorta go flat for me at the line "but Humanity had fought them back to the edge of extinction".

(It's gold up to that point) (:)}

best, Bruce.
Rose1948 chapter 1 . 11/16/2008
Wow. Not quite as viscerally frightening as Lovecraft's stories, but scary enough that I'm sleeping with a light on tonight. ::shudders::
Six-string Samurai chapter 1 . 11/7/2008
Very impressive. Though while I feel the overbearing descriptive style is dead on, there is missing the feel of dread that this type of tale oft inspires. However that may be no fault on your part as an author, but instead lying heavily on that of mine as the reader, wholly unable to immerse himself in the world of words beyond the flickering monitor screen.
anon chapter 1 . 11/6/2008
YAHOO! Lovercraft great about what he said noble goal abhorrent means