Reviews for A Terrible, No Good Day
anina613 chapter 13 . 5/28/2013
very well done. I loved this story so much... Thank you for writing it.
starshine chapter 13 . 1/2/2010
A terrific and terrible story. I am amazed at how you managed to mix the in character 9 years old Lee with child soldiers and posttraumatic stress disorders. The little monologues when he tells himself to be a better soldiers are among the rarest occasions that made me cry. Thanks for writing.
anonymous deleted chapter 13 . 8/2/2009
Please let there be a sequel post cylons. It would be amazing!
gatelover chapter 13 . 11/17/2008
This just has sequel written all over it. It is a very cliff hanger ending. Good story
gatelover chapter 12 . 11/17/2008
So glad Lee made it out alive at least I hope. Poor Zarek at least he did the right thing in the end. Great work
Baciami chapter 13 . 11/15/2008
GentleReader read the last chapter about 12 hrs ago and has been thinking off and on about all day. (Hey, Babe! Are you okay? Are you made at me about all the football games I'm watching today? No, Honey, I'm wrapping my head around this engrossing story I've been reading.) I was trying to articulate in my mind why I didn't feel the emotional payoff at reaching the story's end. I've read enough angst to be comfortable with an "UNhappily ever really bad, bad, bad for like forever" endings if it holds the proper tone for the story. So here's my technical thoughts about why I didn't care for this chapter.

First and foremost, whenever Lee's been front and center, we've had his POV. In this chapter, there's all this evidence of Lee's PTSD, but we never go into his head. What are Lee's thoughts when he's rescued and finally see his father (Dad's home, Dad's home, Dad's home - chapter one) or when he won't go into his mother's arms at the hospital? What changes does Carolanne make and does Lee accept she's really trying to fix their relationship? Does she apologize to Lee? What is he thinking about Zak when they start fighting? What is he thinking about the electroshock therapy? What is he thinking about his father than last night when he says he loves Bill? Does Lee finally get his pancakes and fling them at the kitchen wall? You get the idea; you have so many poignant, profounds set-ups, then very few payoffs to what you've so wondrously set up in earlier chapters.

Where did Zarek go to so that he survived the blast (this should be in your beautifuly story rather than a footnote)? Who was Aenas and why did he hate Joseph and Bill so much? Given he's the main villain, I want to understand more about why he did what he did and what happened to him afterwards. Does he go after TZ for circumventing his plan? Why is he in a wheelchair? Did Bill and Joseph have something to do with that? How does a builder become the wielder of a wrecking ball in the form of a tnt-clad child? And what happened to Laura, Joseph, and Saul during the six month timeframe that Lee's home?

I was thrown off-balance by Zarek's sudden reappearance at the end when we don't even know he survived. Also, I think you inadvertently contradicted a very important set-up from earlier in the story. When Joseph tells the story of Zarek, he says that the terrorists found a 9 y/o TZ and took him in after the trauma of the bomb blast. Lee has a loving family to go back home to, a family that most decidedly wants to heal itself. I don't get Lee's leaving without knowing what was going on in his head. And, very importantly to me, if TZ felt close enough to Joseph to save Lee, then why would he take Lee into a life of violence that TZ knew was so horrible.

I'm fairly new to the fanfic universe, so please excuse me if my comments here are a breach of reader ettiquette. I've been going on the theory that when I really like something, I say I really like it, what it is explicitly that I like, and why I like it so much. I think that my compliments sound shallow if I don't maintain my integrity as a reader and say what I don't like and why I don't like it. So I end my review with a thank you for taking time away from your RL to write a fairly excellent story and giving me so much reading pleasure!
Arista chapter 13 . 11/15/2008
What a heartbreaking, but wonderfully written story! Poor little Lee. I just wanted to reach through my computer screen, grab him out of the story and hug him. I'd love to read a follow-up that explains what happened during those 20 years Lee was gone.
Baciami chapter 12 . 11/15/2008
Okay, GentleReader's lower lip is almost bleeding from biting down on it so hard. You had me wondering whether Lil'Lee was going to morph into Big Lee's thinking: he would sacrifice one - his mother - to save many people. Also, he wouldn't denounce his father and grandfather, just as he refused during Baltar's trial. But you fooled me - good for you!

One surprise after the next...snipers with Lee in their sights, Uncle Saul, Zarek...then wtf...did Zarek mean to blow up the building, Aenas built what he was trying to destroy (I alluded to Howard Roark earlier, and now that thought really is grabbing hold of me), did Saul make it out, will Lee survive in the stairwell just like those firemen and the officeworker did when the 2nd tower fell among them on 9/11? Thank the gods that you didn't torture us by making us wait days to find out what happened! Onto the next chapter...
ella chapter 1 . 11/15/2008
hi, just had to comment that i loved this story, the first story that actually moved me to tears! i guess it would be asking too much to have a short follow up fic, about when they meet again? or what happened to lee while he was with zarek and bills reaction to losing his son? so much dramatic potential, i'm not above begging!
Timewatch chapter 13 . 11/15/2008
A grim ending, to be sure.
Timewatch chapter 12 . 11/13/2008
Uh oh... This doesn't look good.
moira4eku chapter 12 . 11/13/2008
Yikes! I hope Lee is alright. I don't know how he is going to survive this mentally. I'm really looking forward to your next chapter, so please hurry!
arielmoondance chapter 11 . 11/13/2008
I just stumbled across this fic. I am enjoying your story and writing and am curious to see where it leads!
Baciami chapter 11 . 11/13/2008
OMG, GentleReader is really choked up...

"It was a parody. A joke.

The clothes that had been found for Lee made him look like someone he never even been - a normal little boy, dressed up for Colonial Day."

{{sniffle}}...that is moving and created with finesse. You say so much so perfectly and with such economy of words!

{{Sniffling continues}} Zac asking whether Lee had pancakes...OMGs, how does Bill hold it together.

BTW, I never saluted you on your title selection (is a character named Alex going to make an appearance?). One of the better fanfic titles I've read!
Anastashia chapter 8 . 11/13/2008
My stomach dropped at what that doctor was going to do to Lee. Yeah Saul, but even if he gets Lee out it's already been done. Compromise his physical dexterity? Permanently? What if he wants to be a pilot? Poor Lee!
55 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »