Reviews for JxHQ: Ripples
shadowwriter01 chapter 1 . 8/26/2014
The most terrifying thing about the whole story is, she is right.
By becoming the Jokers girl, she became practically overnight more famous as than she had worked and written psychological examinations her entire life.
The price was only her sanity and the fact that she will be locked up whenever the police or Batman get a hold on her.
ddd chapter 1 . 9/20/2011
"There are only two circumstances under which a person disregards the rules of society. When they commit a crime, or when they're in love." harleen quinzel, aka harley quinn
Gladrial10 chapter 1 . 8/17/2011
How wonderful to read their first session together and to see that Harley's need for attention is innately apart of her and has always been there. Thank you.
mr jokey joke-maker chapter 1 . 8/10/2009
how could anyone be annoyed that you're writing a lot? its great, and this was a great fic
Altocat chapter 1 . 1/6/2009
Yet another fantastic story.

I can totally see Harley believing that meeting Joker was fate. Poor Joan...

What I love best about all your stories is that they all tie in and reference each other. Most stories here just begin in random spots. YOURS, on the other hand, is very consistent and well thought out.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story. Keep it up!

pressurehinges chapter 1 . 11/17/2008
And part II!

(“He’s what I’ve been waitin’ for, my whole life. All that other stuff needed to happen just to bring us together, but it’s not what it’s all about. He is. He’s – he’s – everything. He’s everything and I’m his,” Harley’s voice was fervent with passion, seeming to savour every word that came from her mouth.

“Completely. He’s my purpose. He’s my glory. He’s my love and my life and there’s nothing else. Nothing else anymore and no need for anything else ever again.”)

I’ll just go ahead and make my junkie analogy again here. This is complete junkie thinking- “I have this, so fuck everything else, because nothing else compares to this in the slightest. It is literally my everything (perfect phrase) and there is nothing I will not do to maintain it because I have never felt the way I feel right now and without this I never will again.”

(“They’ll write books about me, won’t they,” Harley said dreamily, head tipped back against the couch, eyes glazed. “About us. About our love. There’s never been anything like our love. I’ll be in the history books as the Joker’s girl. No one else understands what it takes. I got his secrets now, but you know what? I’ll never tell anyone. Anyone.” Her voice had dropped to a fierce whisper. “They’re mine and I’m his. Folks can ask, but I won’t tell.”)

Beautiful reversion AND subversion. She got what she wanted, but she liked it so much it going to be hers, al hers, and she recognizes the power inherent in keeping things back now. She is too proud, too jealous, to fiercely possessive to ever share with someone else what the Joker shares with her. It would be blasphemy to her. Heresy. Lovely.

(“It was my destiny.”)

Brilliant ending, especially where she recognizes that she was made for him. In a very real way, she was- he made her. Although I’m not sure she would think of it like that- your explanation of her thought process, of some cosmic fate decreeing her role is much more in keeping with her character.

I think the dialogue flows very naturally. It sounds very much like an actual doctor/patient session, and both Joan and Harley are perfectly IC throughout. The rambling that seems extraneous and then detonates the inevitable Joker bomb is so so Harley. I mean, he is who she is- she’d talk about very little else, I imagine, in such a situation, and every seemingly unrelated thing she discussed would all naturally lead straight back to him. This is how delusional obsessives behave: the entire WORLD is shoehorned into their own little theory on their fixation. So far as the dialogue goes, it’s perfect and I wouldn’t change a thing, and the abruptness of the Joker is perfect as well. Because again this is how such people do behave- what seems a perfectly normal discussion

suddenly switches to al about their obsession, they’ll work it into anything in a way which seems completely bizarre and forced to listeners but makes perfect sense to them. Harley is insane, but insane does not mean having no logic. If anything, the insane are intensely logical- there’s always a clear progression through their thought process. They just make bizarre connections within it and jump to bizarre conclusions, and it *seems* random to

outsiders because we’re not privy to those internal logical steps. Madness is always internally consistent. ‘Alice In Wonderland’ is a perfect example of this.

Well, that got a bit off topic. XD But I did mean to say no fear, the dialogue flows very naturally and the Joker abruptness is very realistic and apt.

On to Joan. You do definitely portray her feelings of guilt and anger. The relationship between Joan & Harley is a fascinating one, to me at least- much room for exploration there, seeing Joan, a ‘normal’ upright, caring, professional individual, deal with someone like Harley, who was once ...sort of those things as well. Joan *likes* Harley, because she was a friend and now she is to be pitied and helped if possible, and Harley likes Joan too. I think she, in her way, pities Joan, because poor Joan just doesn’t get it and will never get to feel the wonderful things that Harley does because of that. And I think it gives a lot of scope for showing the JHQ relationship from the outside- how it’s perceived by other people, and that’s always fascinated me as well.
pressurehinges chapter 1 . 11/17/2008
First off, the child-like qualities of Harley are wonderfully portrayed, even when she's just violently attacked a staff member. And her insistence that she does not need to be fixed because she is just perfect thankyouverymuch is so so IC. Well played.

((“He’s in here, isn’t he?” Harley answered in a small, reverent voice, her eyes rolling up to the ceiling. Her face become suddenly illuminated, as though infused with light, the passion in her eyes unmistakeable. They held the gleam of religious fervour and Leland suddenly realised it was far, far worse than any of them had anticipated."))

THIS. Dear god THIS is so perfect. I am picturing Harley as some painted Madonna, rolling her eyes heavenward in beatific ecstasy. Dear lord, I could write a thesis on this paragraph alone YOU ARE A FUCKING GENIUS.
AFY chapter 1 . 11/9/2008
Wow. Just wow. This is such an interesting study and how Harley sees her path as the Joker's girl. It does seem like some sort of fate for her. Harley actually could've been a normal, well-adjusted girl but things happen...

It was all so absorbing. :D
Hysteric1234 chapter 1 . 11/9/2008
First off, don't worry; I don't think many of us could get sick of this. P

Secondly, I quite like what you've done; it's interesting to see the clash between Harley and Harleen through other peoples eyes. Yet, her progression is logical in her head, the movements very deliberate. She does sound a bit like the creepy Evangelical down the road though, hahaha. XD

Still, effective little bit; you always hit Harls on the nose.
jarec chapter 1 . 11/9/2008
Really well done, as always. This site is full of 'how Harley went crazy' stories, but its rare to see how that affected the people closer to her. my only quibble is with the classification; this really strikes me as more of a Horror story. the way Harley completely surrendered her identity to the Joker was just a touch frightening.
General-Beatrix666 chapter 1 . 11/9/2008
I found this to be an excellent look into Harley's past and state of mind. I enjoyed every second of reading this although I couldn't help the chills going up and down my spine when she said her final words.

Get extremely sick of you? This is like X-mas for me, if I may say so. And I say this to you a lot, but I really do thoroughly enjoy your work, and am always excited to read the next piece.
DCoD chapter 1 . 11/8/2008
I love the almost-rambling feel of Harley's story. Not that it rambles, but that Harley starts at the beginning-beginning, not directly answering Leland's question. haha

Ripples indeed. Awesome title. Definitely speaks volumes of the story Harley tells. Another brilliant work under your belt, well done!
LadyLuckRogue chapter 1 . 11/8/2008
keep them coming! I'm loving all this Joker/Harley fiction!
BrocktreeJustLeft chapter 1 . 11/8/2008
It's a tragedy to see someone who's soul has been won over by the wrong person.

It's ten times worse when you knew them before their soul was lost.

I liked it.
Mira-Jade chapter 1 . 11/8/2008
Personally, I'm eating up every story you write, and am shamelessly enjoying how often there is a new fic to read. There can never be enough good Harley and Joker fics, and you are amazing at writing them. I promise I won't get bored, no matter what you decide. ;)

As for this story in particular, I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It's interesting seeing Harley at the begining of her madness, and even more interesting seeing her through the eyes of someone who knew her before she became Harley Quinn. Joan's horror and guilt over what Harley has become were beautifully portrayed, as was Harley's unwavering devotion. In a strange way, her life has come full circle, and she couldn't be happier.