Reviews for Variations on a Theme
Monica Honda chapter 1 . 12/2/2014
This is a great story, please keep writing. I love fics like this, when Tris meets her family again, but there definitely not enough out there.
Deviousdragon122 chapter 1 . 3/28/2014
I think this is rather nice. It was confusing at some parts but was really good. I wish it would be longer.
hypercell chapter 1 . 5/22/2013
Love this story, would love to see the last two ( but not the other time) expanded! This story is Great!
yay chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
This is lovely, and sad.
killing u with umbrellas chapter 1 . 3/14/2012
loved it.
venusmelody chapter 1 . 11/10/2011
This plot! Because let's face it, everyone's thought about it, but there is approximately a zero percent chance that anyone will do it better than you.

Darra, in particular (and Valden to a degree) are captured very well without being overly sympathetic. Not only in their POV, but in the bit of their Merchants' lives that we see. Actually, speaking of the two of them, I love the mirror between the first scene and the last. The idea that just a small change means they wouldn't have met, but also, in particular, "but her friends are beckoning." The way Tris chooses her new family over the old, even if it's basically unconsciously, because Darra and Valden are terrified of the past, but Tris is constantly looking into the future.

Annice, I admit, I find adorable. She's how I imagine most of the rest of the CHandlers were - distanced from the Tris/Parents fiasco and therefore do not react nearly the same way. But really, rather clearly on Darra and Valden's side, because they are Chandlers. And I really like Mayna, too, who is willing to try even if she wasn't able to (or didn't) when they were children.

I really do love the different degrees of reconciliation Tris does/doesn't get with her parents. Because I agree - each are possible. Personally, as much as I would like Darra turning up on her daughter's doorstep (and GREATLY crave the continuation of this story) or Tris turning up on her sister's, it's really the Lightsbridge one that's become my headcanon now.
sliz225 chapter 1 . 5/9/2011
All very realistic and fascinating takes on a topic I love. This represents some of the best of the Tris' family fics on fanfiction. I love how you varied the endings-forgiveness, rejection-and the last one was
Obsessivebookworm14 chapter 1 . 11/24/2010
That was a very interesting take on Tris' multiple possible relationships with her family. My favorite was the one at lightsbridge though. So, is 1 and 6 two possible outcomes to the same situation? Once again wonderful fic.
xxNewNamexx chapter 1 . 5/18/2010
Love it!
Liradawn chapter 1 . 12/20/2009
Wow! Very well written, every last one of them. All poignant and touching. I can't wait to read more of your work!
MarbleGlove chapter 1 . 11/23/2009
This is wonderful. I'm impressed with each one of the variations and can't even pick a favorite. Each one is different but each one is so definitely Tris. Thanks for sharing.
IngridUlfsdatter chapter 1 . 11/20/2009
What a lovely character study - also, I confess I have a terrible weakness for the "five ways x happens and one it doesn't" story structure. I like how there are no easy answers, no simple reconciliations with Tris' parents, which I think is very true to the Magic Circle books. All the stories were really neat, so I'll just pick a couple of parts that stood out in my mind.

I liked that Tris' family is every bit as stubborn and sure that they're right as Tris is - they aren't sorry, and while I totally sympathize with Tris, I find her family's attitude to be quite believable. I loved the awkwardness of Annice's morning after, meeting the girls, it felt very real (and Briar's apparent complete obliviousness to the fact that there might be a problem with her meeting his foster-sisters was both funny and touching). Including her dislike of Traders was a nice touch - it fits perfectly with her background as a merchant and the daughter of merchants, even though it made me dislike her as a character. The one with Lannard made me wish I could read more about the two - I'd love to see what happens next, or Lannard coming into conflict with his family over Tris. The presence of Daja, Briar and Sandry in Tris' mind at just the right time to persuade her to accept Lannard's invitation felt a little forced, though, especially considering the four are all probably in different places doing different things. For the fourth story, I really enjoyed the condition Tris places on lending money to her parents - it is probably the most painful thing that she could have asked them to do, and is utterly fitting, especially since they are going to have to explain Tris to her brother and can't keep her as some dirty little secret the way they would have liked to. I also liked the way the last story echoed the first, with the same starting place but a different ending, if that makes any sense. The whole set of stories forms its own kind of circle, which fits neatly with the circle theme of the books.
L.A.H.H chapter 1 . 10/14/2009
I thought this was superb. THank you for writing it. x
LadyBluePhoenix chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
This is really well written
Ally-Marty chapter 1 . 8/17/2009
Very interesting! Somehow, I think that the last scenario rings truest. Keep writing! :D