Reviews for Boats Against the Current
Crystal Royale chapter 1 . 10/13/2009
I love the feel this had throughout the entire piece. This is definitely the piece of Eliwood and Hector's story that's missing between FE7 and FE6. Thank you for a very enjoyable read!

Cryssy
missingrache chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
Oh wow.

This is the bridge I'd been waiting for between FE7 and 6, complete with politics, minor characters, and some kind of resolution for Eliwood and Hector (I think their A support is so sad, knowing what happens later!).

Also, I'd always hoped someone else would notice that everyone Hector loves dies of TB.
Mark of the Asphodel chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
OK. I held off on commenting on this one even though I love it, because I haven't actually played the game and thus only have a vague impression of how Eliwood and Hector are "supposed" to be. But this is a lovely little slice of a friendship, and moves me to the point I feel I need to go grab FE7 and discover these men for real. And the ending! Ooh, I *do* know what happens to Hector in FE6, and so Eliwood's promise stings all the more.

Hector and Eliwood aside, you lace the minor characters and all their loyalties in with enough skill that I find myself intrigued by the hints rather than confused. And I'm doubly intrigued by Hector's late brother. So, as if I don't pour enough time into the Akaneia-verse, you're luring me into another timeline.
IVIaedhros chapter 1 . 12/21/2008
An interesting bit of bittersweet introspection. Thanks for the read.
Xirysa chapter 1 . 11/29/2008
I fail for not reading this earlier. (EPIC FAIL.)

This was... Oh, I don't really know how to explain it. Like... It was excellent, I guess. Wish I didn't sound like a fool (like that's ever going to happen XD) but it was really, really good.

Despite the time that passed, both Hector and Eliwood stayed true to their character even while talking politics and strategy and stuff. Everything was portrayed very well, especially about fighting against an inevitable future.

(And although this is out of context... I find freaking-out! Hector to be quite amusing indeed.)

["Could've asked Serra for help."

"Thank Elimine I didn't! Like hell I would let my Lilina fall under the influence of that crazy minx!" But there was no rancor in his tone. "Luckily she was too busy keeping poor Oswin running around at her beck and call to meddle anyway."] And that, too. That was a really nice way to add humor in such a... I don't know, somewhat depressing conversation.

So I'm really, really looking forward to more, and I promise I'll actually read/review on time. I don't think I've got you on Alert...

[Xirysa]
TheTwilightRurouni chapter 1 . 11/14/2008
I'm having some trouble deciding what to write, so forgive me if I'm all over the place. This was good, I would say this kind of writing is what I look for, how I define a 'good' fanfiction. It was deep, winding in circles around it's various parts, alluding to a great many things. It made me quite somber actually, and I liked it, that feeling of calm as I read. You had everything right, everything portrayed as it should be. Eliwood and Hector remained true, and for once the language was appropriate the entire way through, I would even say it added to the story. It gave Hector a part of his character that I loved. You honestly did capture the feeling that the title and summary depict, of fighting against an unchangeable future. Yet, like Eliwood said they must remember Athos. Thanks for writing this, it was a joy to read.

Twilight Rurouni
Sardonic Kender Smile chapter 1 . 11/14/2008
That was intense.

Maybe I liked this so much because I'm a total history buff, but I REALLY liked this. All of the talk about politics and strategy and how the League isn't really unified-and probably won't be. It was Holy Roman Empire-esque, and fun for me to think about. The dialogue between Hector and Eliwood was really great, and you captured their philosophies very well, in my opinion...they were also wonderfully in-character, what with Eliwood's poetic lapses and Hector freaking out when he found out that his friend was sick. It was all just...good work. Very good work. Thank you for sharing this.

Kender