Reviews for A Conspiracy of Concern
evitamockingbird chapter 34 . 3/18
I love the image of Captain Brown with Flora, and Martha's observation about "great hulking fellows" and how they turn so gentle with babies. I can so imagine Captain Brown as being very good at doting on children. He may be a great hulking fellow, but he's always been a kind and caring man, so he would naturally be that way, but even softer, with his daughter's newborn child. Great work here, and in the rest of the chapter.
evitamockingbird chapter 20 . 2/12
This is one of my favorite chapters. Miss Galindo receiving the flowers and then at last the letter meant to accompany them. They are close now to understanding each other and it is wonderful to see. You write her emotions so well when she receives the flowers and his letter is beautiful and sweet. It just jumps right off the page and takes my breath away. Lovely chapter.
evitamockingbird chapter 17 . 2/12
I love that part of Henry V - the wooing of Katherine. It's perfect for Mr. Carter's situation, perfect for his doubts and fears.
evitamockingbird chapter 13 . 2/12
Wow, that conversation between Miss Galindo and Mr. Carter was quite intense and emotional. Very well done. He doesn't understand why she is weeping, but at least they have come to an understanding that she will come back to Hanbury to help him.

Anthony's letter was so sweet. :-)

Great chapter.
evitamockingbird chapter 12 . 2/12
Aaaaand the gossip begins, just as Miss Galindo predicted. It's nice to see that some of the gossips are at least defending her. Way to go, Miss Pole! That Mrs. Johnson is a nasty piece of work.

Mr. Carter is going to have his work cut out for him to convince Miss Galindo that he was not really trying to get rid of her.
evitamockingbird chapter 10 . 2/12
I love this chapter, too. Miss Galindo is so articulate. What a wonderful character and how well you have written her. I especially liked the moment when she was speaking to Mr. Carter about her trip to the continent and she spoke "softly but clearly. 'We did not realize Father was entirely correct. There was not time enough.'" Mr. Carter's earlier observation (I think in an earlier chapter) about how she truly belonged neither to Cranford nor Hanbury, but she always knew what to say in any situation is very true.

I am glad Mr. Carter decided to end the party, and it was neat when he mentioned polygamy and the whole party started laughing. He has a certain wit in his own right, but he doesn't often show it, since he works almost all the time. It's also funny how he somewhat jealously watches Captain Brown flirting with Miss Galindo. Captain Brown is quite a clever man, and now that he has resolved to change his ways, he is determined to bring them together, by whatever means is necessary, though of course only means available to a respectable man. He can flirt with Miss Galindo and speak to and cajole Mr. Carter and then see how things go. They are not two people easily manipulated, but a little nudging on his part certainly won't hurt.

Great chapter.
evitamockingbird chapter 9 . 2/11
I like how Miss Galindo keeps popping up in this chapter, even though she's not present. Mr. Carter sees a young woman sketching in the museum and he thinks of her. Then he dreams of her drawing his portrait. Then he thinks of her when Anthony is talking about how Cranford will be growing in the next five years. And of course, Mr. Carter being Mr. Carter, he then starts feeling guilty about the burden she is bearing back at Hanbury in his absence. I do like this chapter a lot for Mr. Carter's sake, though, because he has put the worst period of despair behind him and is looking forward again.

Great work!
evitamockingbird chapter 6 . 2/11
I am a big fan of Captain Brown, in part because I am a big fan of Jim Carter, but also because he is such a funny and interesting character. This is really an excellent and funny chapter. I love Captain Brown's resolution and his observations of both Mr. Carter and Miss Galindo as individuals and also his thoughts on what he saw in Dr. Harrison's surgery right before the amputation. I especially liked how he likened Miss Galindo to a Shakespearean heroine. Thanks for this!
I'd just like to say that this is a fantastic treatment of this world and it's characters! While I love the BBC adaptation, I'm thrilled to see the Carter/Galindo relationship have a chance to grow. Love, love, love this fanfic and look forward to seeing updates as soon as can be!
AmyLouise2 chapter 41 . 1/8
It's so good to catch up with the Carters again - and everybody else, of course. The voices are so true, I'm able to see them very clearly in my mind as I read.

I'm sure Lady Ludlow's letter to Laurie is also meant to be a bridge to Mr Carter - she couldn't apologise to him, of course (and he should have known her pride would be wounded if she found out what he'd done). But she would know his true worth; a shame she doesn't recognise her son's lack of it, but some mothers are blind, and he is all she has.

Now that the story is moving along again, I look forward to more soon - may the muse be with you.
theHuntgoeson chapter 41 . 12/29/2013
Yes, we've had a long wait for this chapter, but what a glorious feast you have given us now, as rich as the Cranford harvest festival banquet. As always, the interplay between the characters is so acutely observed - it would be so like Mr Carter to try to repay Lady Ludlow behind her back, but of course she would feel utterly affronted on finding out, and I like the plot mechanism by which she learns of the subterfuge, via Lord Septimus. The scene between them is so well written that I was hard put to accept that it wasn't a quotation from the series. Yet even this is topped by the beautiful realisation of the evening and morning scenes between the Carters, as this near-disaster strengthens and renews their relationship, though you cleverly make the point that Laurie is already beginning to heal. I love the alternating viewpoints between the two of them, showing how their thoughts diverge and coincide (not least over the beauty of their hands). Then, how like you to change the focus from the very private to the public with the Harvest Festival, with a series of vignettes, each like a fleeting camera shot, covering so many of the different Cranford residents. Peter's roguishness and Mrs Jamieson's readiness to dance with him suggest another intriguing sub-plot on the way, and I love Miss Matty's bonding with the baby while Martha and Jem take the chance to be young and carefree again, and Job's reluctant acceptance of the changes about him. And Mr Carter's smile... well, we know how rare and beautiful that is. Reverend Hutton can have no inkling of the conflict between Lady Ludlow and Mr Carter, yet his text could not be more apposite, and it is clearly this which induces her to start rebuilding her relationship with Laurie at the end of the chapter. Things look hopeful. I can't wait for more when you have the time to write it.
Miss Laurentia chapter 41 . 12/23/2013
KDN, I’m so pleased to see my old ‘Cranford’ friends again, through your capable and caring hands. They are so instantly recognizable, the way that you depict them.
In particular I loved the interaction between Mr Carter and Lady Ludlow. As proud and independent as Mr Carter is, he was also a man of his time and his humble reaction to Lady Ludlow’s rebuke, well depicted his understanding and acceptance of his place and position.
Lady Ludlow also very well understands and accepts her position and has no qualms in using her authority even when it hurts her to be in conflict with Carter, whom she knows to be a good man and a dear and faithful subordinate.
Special mention too, for the effective device you use in revealing Edward’s and then Laurentia’s perspectives on the same scene. I loved that! Thank you for this exquisite Christmas gift, KDN and a happy Christmas to you and a fulfilling 2014.
MissLaurentia x
OfCorset chapter 41 . 12/13/2013
I'm very fond of the Carters too. You have created a loving, strong relationship in Edward and Laurentia. I enjoy your subtle writing style. There was so many emotions (with some humour) conveyed in this chapter.

I am very pleased you will continue with this wonderful story.
sash queen of the jungle chapter 41 . 12/13/2013
Thank you for this treat of a update. It was a pleasure surprise that I have treasured to read in my quiet time I rarely find these days. I look forward to the next update. Thank you for all your hardwork.
evitamockingbird chapter 41 . 12/11/2013
Thank you SO much for this lovely update! I have been waiting a very long time for this and I am not disappointed.

I love the way you've written the gentle intensification of the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Carter. I wouldn't have thought they could get much closer or more well-matched, but it seems they have moved their relationship to a new level. It's just wonderful. When he smiled at her out in public it was really quite special.

Lady Ludlow is such a fascinating character to me, as an individual and as a member of a certain class. I am curious about Peter's mischief-making, and whether it will continue with any long-term consequences. I was very sorry for Captain Brown's absence from this chapter, but I'm sure he and his lovely voice will make an appearance again soon.

Lovely work, as usual! Thank you!