Reviews for Rounded With A Sleep
Artura chapter 1 . 11/28/2014
A beautifully evocative picture of the muddle of delirium. I'm not quite sure I understood it all, especially the last overheard coversation (He reminds me of you... etc) - I did not work out who was speaking here, but that is perhaps the point. Very striking and original, and well-crafted, in my view.
Cariad-je chapter 1 . 8/12/2009
Interesting. This certainly wasn't what I was expecting, and I didn't at first know what to make of it... but it comes across as really refreshing - not something I would want to read every day, but all the more unique because of that. You manage to paint a very dreamlike but evocative picture, almost poetic, with all the interjections of memory nicely placed. I could just imagine all this lyrical randomness floating about in Faramir's head!

I found the contractions in the first paragraph a little out of place, especially among words like "alveolar fricatives" (I had to look that up :) Looking at it again it's mildly jarring ("It's the snap of fingers") but a very minor point.

All in all a very well-written and intriguing story, thank you for it :)
Bittersweet x chapter 1 . 11/23/2008
Wow, that was deep. Really nicely written & interesting storyline.. I really enjoyed that. Nice work!
Ekuk chapter 1 . 11/17/2008
Very interesting and very effective way of telling a story. I look forward to reading more of your work.
Pentangle-linnon chapter 1 . 11/16/2008
Beth, I'm so glad you posted this here, as I wanted to review it after the Teitho in October. I'm going to be honest here, because I really respect you as a writer. I loved parts of this and didn't care for other parts. The work as a whole was very thought provoking and required effort to read, something I didn't expect from a Teitho entry (that's not a bad thing, that's a good thing).

Parts I loved: the fragments of oaths and conversations. That was very poignant and compelling. I especially loved the whole last section where his oath of fealty calls him back. "My Lord, you called me. I come." So simple yet profound in its summation of the complicated relationship of friend/friend, servitor/king, sufferer/healer, and still more ways these two men are connected one to another.

I also liked all the Silmarillion quotes.

I have to admit that I found the grammatical bits "A noun (direct object, rendering); offered up from one ..." a little jarring, but no doubt that was your intention. I think you were trying to create something here, an effect on your readers, and I think you were very effective at it. It's not the style of thing I would want to read every day, but still beautifully crafted and accomplished what I believe you wanted it to.

Pentangle
BM originally chapter 1 . 11/15/2008
An interesting piece! And a nice touch, incorporating his memories into his disjointed thoughts as he slowly works his way back to consciousness.

But now I'm dying to know the back story! Just how WAS Faramir wounded?

Thanks for sharing this!
eiluj chapter 1 . 11/15/2008
So Faramir's mind is full of literary quotations, phonetic analysis (I'm sure there's a better term, but it's been zillions of years since my one Speech class), and dictionary definitions, as well as memories? Quite fitting.

It's wonderful to find something of this quality on this site.

Some proof-reading for you (it's a compulsion):

"but it lays beyond him still" - That should be "lies" (the verb "to lie": in this case with the meaning "to occupy a certain relative place or position").

"How does he fair?" - That should be "fare," meaning in this case "get along." [The verb "to fair" means "to join so that the external surfaces blend smoothly."]

"and do you, Faramir, take she Éowyn" - Reduced to its simplest, that phrase is "Do you take she?" It should be "Do you take her?" The subject of the sentence is "you;" Éowyn is the direct object of the sentence, so the feminine pronoun must be objective case ("her").

[Definitions from Merriam-Webster: w w w. m-w. com ]
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 11/15/2008
A moving and poetic story.