Reviews for Saved Messages
JLo10131121 chapter 1 . 2/25/2009
No, I don't think it's morbid. Wanting to hold a piece of someone you care about close to you is anything but. Great story.
cherisheachother chapter 1 . 1/27/2009
Ohmygod this was so good! You need to write more so that Bones hears that message!
medicgirl chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
Absolutely amazing, and so unbelievably sweet. Not morbid at all, But then, my husband and I are both firefighters so we face this issue every time one of us walks out the door to work.
Aloemilk chapter 1 . 12/10/2008
Favorited it!

It's not the usual story, as it finished before they actually decide to try and be together... But it's beautifully written!

I'll be checking the rest of your work.

-Aloe
labsquint chapter 1 . 12/6/2008
I saw that this story was recommended at the ABY, so I thought I'd take a look at it. And I'm very glad that I did...

Right from the start, you charge the story with the UST that these two characters have when you describe the kind of rain that they are in. You may be introducing the opposite idea, but it firmly puts the idea into the reader's mind.

Booth's shock at finding his old message from that fateful day on Brennan's answering machine was well done. This is a very intuitive man, and he has to know that there is great significance in her keeping a message from him and from that day in particular on her machine. And you know Booth; he's just not going to let this lie.

Nice description on the dress BTW, at least from Booth's point of view: 'It was desire disguised as clothing.' This man is just toast.

It's nice to see usually somewhat clueless Brennan showing how well she knows her partner as she realizes that in the time that she's been changing clothes, that something has changed mentally for Booth.

And the reader gets the full impact of Brennan's grief that night when she came back from the hospital after being told that Booth had died to find his voice, happy and full of life and plans, on her answering machine. She would have kept it initially just to be able to hear his voice. It's not stated, but I got a mental picture of her sitting by her answering machine in the middle of the night, playing his message over and over, just to hear his voice as she grieved alone for her partner, for her best friend, because I never for an instant thought that she was an unemotional about his death as the story they painted for us in 'A Pain in the Heart'.

Surprisingly, Booth lets it go at that point, no doubt knowing that he'd pushed her far enough and not wanting her to dwell on it. But it clearly stays with him. And he circles back to it once they are in private again.

There is a lot of latent promise in this last scene in Brennan's apartment. They are both clearly teetering on the edge of something more and both are nervous about putting what they have on the line for a deeper relationship in case they lose the connection that they have now. It's going to take courage to take that step, and they'll need to do it together. And good for Booth for being the one to recognize it and admit that fact to her but still knows that he has to take it slow for both of their sakes.

And I liked the ending. She's deleted the old message, the one she still ties to tragedy and he's leaving her a new one in its place. And all I can say is that she must be a better woman that I because there is no way I'd be able to not listen to that entire message. And if she does listen to it, there will be an immediately change in her behaviour towards him. If she doesn't, he'll be able to act on those feeling more slowly. Either way, the reader is left with the feeling that they will get there, one way or another.

Very nicely done!
MapleCheerUp chapter 1 . 11/29/2008
Great story! You did a wonderful job at making it balance (emotions, thoughts, actions, etc.).
nonhalema chapter 1 . 11/28/2008
Damn beautiful
22705 chapter 1 . 11/20/2008
The message was definitely not a copout, it was sweet! He knows not to push her too far, I really liked how well you had them interact...they know each other better than anyone else does, and you really showed that in this story. The vulnerability Brennan shows in keeping the message was really well thought-out and well-worded. Good job!
Gryphin chapter 1 . 11/19/2008
Oh I loved it! *sigh*! What an original idea and you did it beautifully. Thank you so much for writing such a little gem!
Limone chapter 1 . 11/19/2008
Sometimes you come across fics based on a great idea, sometimes you come across fics that are well written. On rare occasions you come across fics that have both those things - this is such an occasion.

Love the opening paragraph describing the rain and the end fit the story and what it is all about perfectly. The message did not feel like a cop out, you are right not to spell out Booth's words.

Thank you for sharing.
rosyle chapter 1 . 11/18/2008
Very nice job. Loved it!
Sonni89 chapter 1 . 11/18/2008
Wow, this was absolutely amazing. You captured their emotions so well and it's really something I could imagine happening with them, sort of.

Of course, the B/B shipper in me wants to know the exact words he left on that answering machine, but for the story, I don't think it's necessary to know.
storywriter84 chapter 1 . 11/18/2008
Not so sure about the ending. Not because it could be considered a cop out but because what would be worse: losing the man that you love and that loved you or only finding out that the man you loved loved you back after he died? Did that make sense? Anyway, the beginning was great. I loved the story. Great job.
Odonata Epiprocta chapter 1 . 11/18/2008
I like it, and I don't think it was morbid at all. Actually i realy like it. But i'm not sure about Booth's message... I'd like to think he'd do something less obvious to an outsider, something only bones would understand. I haven't seen anything past episode 4 of season 4 so maybe this does fit and i just don't know it yet :)
GreenEyes09 chapter 1 . 11/17/2008
I loved it. The story is great. I love the messages on the answering machine. Great idea.
74 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »