Reviews for Only By the Night
chessboardsandcheckmates chapter 8 . 1/15/2014
Okay, this is one of the best fics I have read in a while and I am going to make a long post about it because it was freaking awesome.

First of all, I love how you wrote Claire. Because, I mean, she did wrestle with a lot, with feeling like she wasn't human, with her identity, with her father's death...and she was so young, and I think the way that you wrote her, kind of jaded but with a bit of innocence, too, was really perfect. And one of Claire's biggest fears was not being able to feel anything at all and I love that her need to "feel" in this story is at first a need for pain and then becomes a need for love. It was a beautiful progression.

So yeah, Claire's characterization was really great. But more than anything you just totally NAILED Elle. I'm pretty sure that she was supposed to be a sociopath on the show (I could be wrong), while at the same time she had a childlike quality to her. I loved how you wrote her. The way she thinks about the feelings she is developing for Claire at the beginning of the fic, I mean, it was just kind of perfect that even though the feelings torture her and she can't figure them out, deep down she kind of knows it's love from the start.

My favorite part (and there were many, but this one stood out) was in the hotel when Elle accidentally shocks Claire. Before that it's always on purpose, and then Elle realizes that now there actually is a person that she DOESN'T want to hurt. And for me, and for her character, I felt, that was a big, important moment.

Another thing I loved is when they first sleep together and Claire is angry and trying to get out of the motel as fast as possible. But then Elle apologizes, and that's all it takes for Claire to get back in bed and cuddle with her. I mean, it really highlighted Elle's struggle to understand what's going on (mainly with the feelings side of things) and Claire's desperation for someone to understand her and give her the comfort she needs. The second it even seems like Elle can do that for her, Claire jumps at it. It actually really made me sad for the two of them.

Anyway, I loved watching the relationship grow and evolve in this story. Thanks so much for writing! :)
DementedPanda chapter 8 . 10/15/2009
Wow... brilliant! simply brilliant..

please write more
LivinginBedlam chapter 8 . 7/22/2009
Wow. I love how the songs fit with your writing, it's amazing. I love how in character they are aswell, I could see everything play out in my head. Really great job D
LuisaHUAH chapter 7 . 4/3/2009
the wording kinda confuses me sometimes...but i still love the story...can't wait for more
Lunakaria chapter 7 . 2/12/2009
I'm in absolute love with each and every one of these one shots. They are done so well! I hope you continue to add to them!
KW05 chapter 7 . 2/8/2009
Awesome update! I love your story! I hope you write more!
Emma James chapter 6 . 1/23/2009
cool
Alex Foster chapter 6 . 1/5/2009
I’ve been reading this series over at Elle_Claire on LiveJournal, but I wasn’t sure if I had commented before. You have done such an amazing job here. Capturing the twisted aspects of their relationship perfectly. Elle’s psychosis is particularly well done.

Thanks for sharing such a great story!

Alex
Luna Whisper chapter 5 . 1/4/2009
This story is so great, possibly my favorite Elle/Claire story out there.

One of my friends didn't understand the pairing till she read this story. You've sold someone on the pairing, how great is that?

I sincerely hope you continue this.
Ring-Around-Poesy chapter 5 . 12/8/2008
This is fantastically written. I'm a bit blown away at the moment...

The songs are complimenting the content perfectly and matching with the flow of the story.

More ASAP please, well done!
My Personal Rose chapter 5 . 12/8/2008
Aww, that was amazing! I got a tiny bit pset there towards the end, but seriously! You're an amazng writer!

I love how descrptive you are, how concise, while carrying the thoughts and emotions of the characters throughout the story, and into your writing without the need of first person. It's trly beautiful, and if fanfic is art then this is the mona lisa... some great work!
karacandance chapter 5 . 12/7/2008
wow. that is all i have to say. they are both so screwed up it makes you feel sad but glad that they 'have' eachother.
Readwitch chapter 4 . 11/30/2008
Best chapter yet... even if it was in Claire's POV. Sometimes its nice to see Elle's actions on the outside. I like how your Elle just sort of goes with it... you know. I mean, with her knowledge of the situation, she could probably really screw around with things, make them better or worse, and she just sits there and lets everything happen. I'm wondering, though, how much more HRG has said to her at this time.
karacandance chapter 4 . 11/30/2008
that was the best so far. one of the best Claire/Elle fics i have read EVER!

keep 'em coming.
Lang1922 chapter 4 . 11/30/2008
You amaze me! I loved specially the narrative and how your story is just so fluent and real. I'm utterly speechless, thankyou for writing this.