Reviews for When the Winter Comes
Jenice chapter 20 . 1/27
oh and wow and HILARIOUS! Loved this!
Jenice chapter 7 . 1/26
um... do I have to go to bed? :)
Renewed Fan chapter 20 . 12/19/2015
Great, thoughtful, in the moment story. I wish I could write as well as you. You are very gifted. This story is entertaining, and you capture the emotions, culture, intellect, environment, and physicality of your characters.

I do wish you included thoughts and dialogue concerning Spock's familial situation. Amanda and Sarek think they may die, so wouldn't their thoughts turn to Spock, who is still considered a minor in Vulcan culture? Sarek may not speak of it, but wouldn't Amanda at least turn her thoughts to her only child? And, is Sarek willing to let Amanda die rather than use his bond to communicate with Spock? To be honest, I'm disappointed Spock did not search for them. And what has T'Pau been doing for 6 months? I don't think she would rely on Starfleet to find her son. And wouldn't she summon her grandson home?

You are such a talented writer, that I think you could turn this into a published novel by incorporating the other subplots mentioned above. I must say though that if you ever do decide to publish, my favorite story is Home is the Sailor! You couldn't go wrong expanding and publishing that one!
Renewed Fan chapter 16 . 12/19/2015
I can understand why Amanda had not thought of rafting the river. She's starving, not thinking, just reacting. That's what survival mode does to you, makes you react. Very good.
Renewed Fan chapter 12 . 12/18/2015
I liked the comparison to Swiss Family Robinson. Prior to reading that particular exchange I had been thinking how humankind originally struggled to survive and wondered what it took to turn that corner from survival to symbiotic organization. I think it took IDIC in numbers.
Renewed Fan chapter 9 . 12/18/2015
You really know your characters. I would not have thought about Sarek loosing control due to starvation. But once I read it, I thought it made perfect sense. I admire your attention to detail and the depth of your stories.
Renewed Fan chapter 8 . 12/16/2015
This was a lighthearted, fun chapter that reminded me that life goes on, no matter the circumstances. Sarek and Amanda complement each other. The verbal interplay here was sharp and added to a very enjoyable read.
Renewed Fan chapter 4 . 12/14/2015
I really enjoyed the details of this chapter. When you said the aircar's environmental system wasn't designed for the smoke of the explosions, I thought you are probably right. I don't think I or many other writers would have thought of that. Of course, it's probably unusual that this planet also has 24 hr days, either because of local convention or astronomical physical elements.
tanseynz chapter 20 . 11/12/2015
A story that won't date, and so much that is practical about it including the fact that earthlike as that planet appeared, it was not. The winter blast changed everything, even though they'd been poised on perilous for a while. That sort of game changer makes a story cross a line from interesting to rivetting. I'd have loved to have seen if Amanda's river idea could have worked, but changing the game then was inspired, as well as making the rescue less easy than one woukd expect.
Love it, favourited it!
Guest chapter 20 . 6/4/2015
Outstanding story. Great in all ways. Thanks.
spockett chapter 20 . 8/13/2014
This was a wonderful story. Beautifully done. I love how you write Amanda and Sarek. Hope you contuine writing more about them. I also can't wait till you finish Begin Anew.
Dee chapter 20 . 4/10/2014
This is one of my favourites and I was sorry to see it end. How this couple adapted to a very dangerous situation was (pardon me) "fascinating". I found the Starfleet rescue group to be particularly lacking in any sensitivity -one would think they would make those rescued warm, dry and less hungry and also there would be some sense of empathy. I also liked the comment about the wonderful weight-loss program and Amanda's response. Again, you were consistent with your point-of view and I found that made this even more interesting to read. Keep up the great stories.
srmacrina chapter 20 . 2/10/2014
Truly one of the better stories Ms. Foley has written. Though for me, that's almost an impossible comparison to make. Without exception, my favorite among TOS fan fict.
A Reader chapter 20 . 11/6/2013
I have enjoyed your work so very much. Amanda is drawn completely with such life. Thank you for your fast paced winter adventure.
starfleetdream chapter 20 . 9/9/2013
Just re-read this after the reference to it in Home is the Sailor. Gripping tale - I've stayed up way too late reading it again. Amidst all the deprivation and personal trials, a wonderful love story. Thank you!