Reviews for No Prayer In Vain
irishgirl9 chapter 2 . 12/17/2008
What a wonderful story! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It really makes you think. So many times when things are going bad in our lives we pray to God for help, but when things are going good in our lives we don't bother to thank God. Thank you for sharing your story!
bhoney chapter 2 . 12/16/2008
Okay, it's official. This is one of my favorite fics EVER.

Loved this: "Pastor Jim used to say ‘faith means when you pray for rain, you carry an umbrella’..." That Pastor Jim is a wise man.

This was so sweet: "...Dean’s safe – and I can’t wait to be stuck in the car with him for fifteen hours."

And I LOVED this: "It’s just – but you want to be asked for stuff, don’t you? You want to be needed, don’t you? Or you wouldn’t have made us. I think." That's so true. God does want us to bring everything that concerns us to Him in prayer, and I'm SO glad Sam knows that, rather than going the "I"ll never ask you for anything again" route, which is SO not what God wants.

And this made me giggle: "'I better get out of here now before Dean tells me if I’m praying so much I better be praying for pie.' He smiled and felt again that God was smiling too." I could totally hear Dean saying something like that. LOL And I LOVE that you portray God as having a sense of humor. Because I'm sure He does.

Wow. I just LOVE this fic. I am definitely favoriting it, and will recommend it to others. Excellent work. Especially in light of the way the show's been portraying God recently, I am always on the lookout for good fics like this, that are much more accurate. THANK YOU for writing this!
bhoney chapter 1 . 12/16/2008
Wow. This is phenomenal! My heart was utterly breaking for Sam.

Loved this: "Dean loved me. He never said it. Not like that. Not straight out, but he never had to. I mean, I needed to be told Dean loved me like I needed to be told the sun was coming up in the morning." Powerful depiction of what security Sam has always felt in how Dean feels about him.

LOVED this description of Dean: "And he’d take a look at Sam’s face and ask ‘What’s wrong?' in that way that sounded like there wasn’t anything he wouldn’t take on to take care of Sam, and he meant right now." So true!

And loved Sam's comment that he didn't know if Dean ever even noticed Sam was taller than him. And this: "He’s the only person – he always seemed like the only person big enough to protect me." Love how you used size to demonstrate their emotional relationship.

But best of all, I adored the theme of this-that no prayer goes unanswered, and that even though Sam can't see God working on an answer to his prayer, in fact He had already answered, and Sam just didn't know it yet. LOVED the end, it totally gave me chills.

I've always wondered why the boys rarely sought help from the side of good when something bad happened-when Dean was dying in IMTOD, John made a demon deal. When Sam died in AHBL, Dean did the same. Even Sam, who's supposed to have be the one with faith, only tried dealing with demons to get Dean back. I'm so glad you addressed this. I LOVE THIS FIC!
Elflocks chapter 2 . 12/11/2008
Oh, man, you jerked some tears outta me. I started reading your story, and the first sentence gave me an idea. So I stopped and went and wrote it, and then came back.

The first prayer was so much like something someone desperate would pray, and when Sam said, "I don't know what else to say" after repeating the same things over and over, I was just like, 'ack' and died. :P

And the grateful prayer was even more so, because it just underlined how glad Sam was to have Dean back, and all the turmoil of not having him there for all that time. The last part especially got me.

And I think Sam was right on the mark when he said that God wants to hear from us, otherwise he wouldn't have made us.
Visionairy chapter 2 . 11/20/2008
That was great. You certainly get across how very thankful Sam was to Dean back. Very well done. And the ending was cute. Thanks for posting.
staceycj chapter 2 . 11/20/2008
Wow. Dean really is all Sam needs. I think this really could have happened in the show. Good job!
PookbearD chapter 2 . 11/20/2008
I'm so glad you added a part about Sam's thank you to God. How wonderfully appropriate after the last chapter and his angst and begging for his brother to come back.
PookbearD chapter 1 . 11/19/2008
This was so heart-wretching and beautiful all wrapped into a neat little package. Thank you for exploring and expressing Sam's feelings, angst and need for wanting his brother back. You did an excellent job on this story and I thank you for sharing it with us.
camlann chapter 1 . 11/18/2008
Oh wow, this was so well done! Loved the angst here-you really did a great job of pulling the grief and the desperation out in Sam. Have you considered revisiting the idea, maybe where Sam realizes that what he prayed for came true?

camlann :)
FraidyCat chapter 1 . 11/18/2008
The raw pain and desperation of that actually made me cry. Unfortunately, I'm at work right now, and sobbing over my keyboard is not really a viable option.

Great job.
staceycj chapter 1 . 11/18/2008
Wow. Fantastic story. Awesome job. Made me tear up.
41 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3