Reviews for The Great Desert
Sortinghat chapter 1 . 3/13
Also is this based off of North West Texas such as Armaillo or however you spell that town and did the farm/ranch/house whatever get their power back on since your story didn't say?
Sortinghat chapter 1 . 3/13
At least Link doesn't have toworry about trees falling on his house in windstorms where in the desert homes can take quite a beating even with wind velocities up to 70 mph.

In the PNW as in western OR and WA even a minor windstorm as in wind speeds bbetween 35mph and 50mph just a shy above storm warnings would usually produce an amazing 50,00 to 150K customers without power somewhere usually in areas concentrated with trees around wires.

Down here in Marion County the crews went all around and trimmed trees back every few years which is equal to giving trees a hair cut at the barbers and it's payed off in lowering outage times and fastening response time. Only rural areas have issues and it's usually certain areas.

In Portland the nanny panny environmental groups don't allow it AT ALL and as a result people in Portland lose electricity often during what would be small wind events in the 40-50mph range.

I see it on the PGE outage map lighting up like an x-mas tree mostly in Washington County and Lake Oswegos (I think that's how it's spelled) and SE Portland areas towards Oregon City.

Seattle is the same way PUD has a lot of outages more so on the east end of Seattle inthe suburbs where city power is put back on fast if they lose it at all.

The biggest outages can go over 1 million people at peak during the famous wind storms like the Dec 1995 windstorm or Dec 2006 events.

Seattle had something like 200,000 outages mostly on the east end where crews were from several states away helped.
JoftheMGirl chapter 16 . 5/8/2015
Okay then, seems you went with a sweet, happy ending after all. Awesome story, and it seems fitting that the Hero of Winds should congratulate him. He always did seem rather happier than the others to me.
JoftheMGirl chapter 15 . 5/8/2015
O.O Well, that was unexpected. Excellent chapter, I loved the fight scenes, but that ending: Wow. Poor guy.
JoftheMGirl chapter 11 . 5/8/2015
Okay, that mention of what's required to open a portal makes complete sense, while being incredibly creepy and tragic. How do you come up with these things?

Yes! Meeting with space goddesses, what can possibly go wrong?
JoftheMGirl chapter 10 . 5/8/2015
Yep, I was thinking the Kokiri were doomed. Doesn't make it any less sad, though.

Coyote Link to the rescue!
JoftheMGirl chapter 8 . 5/8/2015
Forgot to say this last chapter, but I also like the Twili's view of reincarnation as a cursed soul. It sure seems that way when I think of everything Link has been through.

I feel so bad for the Kokiri, yet it seems natural for them to eventually fade away. Guess I'll wait and see what happens.
JoftheMGirl chapter 7 . 5/8/2015
Great chapter, I like the sci-fi stuff here. It really separates this story from the games.

Navi objecting to swearing was cute too.
JoftheMGirl chapter 5 . 5/5/2015
Creepy!

Interesting that you've included one of your other stories, the Lost One. Can't wait to see how this goes.
JoftheMGirl chapter 3 . 5/5/2015
I love all the little allusions to the games, and this story is quite interesting so far. Onwards to the next chapter I go!
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 16 . 5/23/2013
Not too shabby a concept, I’ll give you that.
The idea of ‘reinventing’ Hyrule into a Western-style world rather than the traditional magical kingdom was a bold move, but you managed it very well, creating an interesting picture of Hyrule’s current state before going on to explore how the current society affects Link as an individual, ranging from his scepticism of the old tales to his disinclination towards firearms despite his continued courage, to say nothing of the question of how the Hero’s traditional weapons will adapt to this world.
The trip to the first temple felt a little quick, but the introduction to Navi more than made up for it, providing another excellent tie to the past even before you began to explore the connections to past game locations in more significant depth; you might skim a bit over the dungeons, but considering how hard it is to adapt the dungeons to a narrative style you’re doing fairly well.
Subsequent developments as you brought Midna and the gods themselves back into the game added a very interesting edge to the storyline, as well as your thoughts on the gods’ true nature and their relationship with Hyrule (A bit cold, but these are gods we’re talking about here; they just don’t really register individuals the same way that we would).
However, the ending battle just felt a bit rapid; everything with Cecelia’s attack on Ganondorf to the conclusion just felt too rushed for us to really get a good impression of her as any kind of contrast to Ganondorf as the bad guy (Ganondorf’s assessment of her sounded good, but we had no real time to see what she would have been like compared to him as a more long-term threat), to say nothing of the abruptness of subsequent events as you skimmed over what happened afterwards.
All in all, a good concept with some intriguing ideas, but it would have been better if you’d drawn it out more in places; you just seemed to want to get to certain parts of the story so quickly that you didn’t pay enough attention to areas that could have been very interesting.
Unsorted chapter 6 . 4/21/2013
Was that a reference to "The Last Unicorn" I saw in this chapter? ;)

The pacing in this story so far is a little iffy, and I really wish that there was more depth to the villains, but overall the fic is pretty good.
Makokam chapter 12 . 4/16/2013
Loved the title. That was a great movie.

And yeah, Link is an idiot for that. How could he possibly have thought he could stand up to them after not eating or sleeping and running for three days?
Makokam chapter 8 . 4/15/2013
Yay Midna? I dunno.
I like Zelda with Link, Link and Navi amuses, and of course I love Link and Midna...so I have no idea who to root for.
Probably Zelda because she's the unique Zelda, like this is a unique Link.

And of course Midna peeked.
Makokam chapter 7 . 4/15/2013
...oh. I was wrong. But...The Hero of Time being The Hero od Time's "whelp" makes as much sense as it being Navi.

I very much liked Navi saying she had a cru- oh. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see Midna and Navi "fight" over him?
Speaking of which, I forgot to mention I loved seeing Midna included. I don't know how plausible it is, but I liked it all the same. I'd been thinking I misunderstood you when mentioned Midna saying something(about cows?) in this fic.

Anyway...yeah, seriously, poor Jabu-Jabu. But, then, I suppose suicide would be better than the eternal torment of laying out in a desert, unable to move.

And it's about damn time Ze-er, "Shiek" showed up.
And I totally called that wound getting infected when he drank the whisky instead of using it to disingfect the blade.

And the fairy was right. Somebody needs to get that boy some chainmail. Or some sort of armor at least.

Makokam out.