Reviews for He Let Me Live
Kaherast chapter 95 . 11/14
Hype Train Choo Choo lets go!
Oops I wrote an essay.

I haven't played the source material for him, and the story is probably faithful to it, but the way Verdot keeps coming off all i can imagine when he walks into a scene is that this unfeeling near-malicious robot just showed up to be grumpy and yell at people and suck the fun out of the scene.
I understand that that everyone listens to him out of some deep respect for him personally: he keeps a good number of trained killers on a short leash despite the fact that he has no rank or real authority to compel them to do anything. All of these people, from the rest of the ex-Turks to Tseng himself (the actual leader of the actual Turks), accept his authority over them out of pure respect (and maybe some sense of family?)

But I don't think there's been a point in this story where Verdot has shown why he is deserving of their respect, outside of once upon a time having been the head of the Turks.
He takes up a lot of space in the story, and spends it almost entirely being utterly unpleasant to everyone save Vincent and his actual daughter. I remember no point where he contributed anything that didn't consist of telling someone else to do something (and being obnoxious in doing so), or yelling at someone for having done something (even more obnoxious). When Verdot is in a scene, he spends it berating people I'm more invested in (Cissnei, Reeve, Reno...) When Verdot is mentioned (which happens a lot), it's universally negative. Everyone respects him, and no one seems to actually like him. No one likes his daughter, or that he keeps her around (and she sure acts like his daughter). No one likes talking to him, because every time anyone talks to him they get lectured at, as though he has done anything to have the right.

Maybe he does have room to talk. Maybe he's earned it. But I don't think it's been expressed outside of some sense that everyone recognizes that they're family. I can't think of a single action he's personally taken in the story, or a single time he's been at risk. He comes off as the Call of Duty Sergeant, yelling at you to do things over the radio from a comfy seat while you get shot at. No one likes that guy.

Verdot doesn't act as though he likes anyone. I don't get why anyone likes Verdot. He doesn't do anything himself. I don't get why anyone respects Verdot. I don't get why anyone would like or respect him, so I don't get why anyone would obey Verdot.

Not to say you're wrong, the wiki seems to back you up. What I'm saying that:
A- The story hasn't shown Verdot's positive traits to balance the negative ones: he's never been humanized as a character
B- his presence since his introduction has been MASSIVE, often to the detriment of other characters- how can I take anyone else seriously when they all turn into children in front of him?
C- Verdot is so very one-tone and oppressive to the story that, even as we come up on what we've all been waiting for years (the reunion), half of the buildup towards it is Verdot lecturing Cissnei, with a promise of even more (and worse) lecturing to come. I should be looking forward to the reunion, but all I can think is "I don't want to have to listen to Verdot depreciate everyone around him again."

TLDR: Verdot is a robotic ass with no redeeming qualities, no one has to listen to him, everyone does listen to him, the story never adequately explains this, Verdot is present in some way in most every scene, and it drags me out of the plot.

I love this, and I can't wait for the next installment, but I really think that if you want to give Verdot such a massive role in the story, that he needs to be more fleshed out, and less always angry Korean tiger-parent. You say everyone respects him, but I need to see why. I can't take Tseng seriously anymore: it's like I'm a soldier and I just watched my commanding officer get torn apart by his mommy.
qwq qweqq chapter 95 . 11/12
Reunion, you said.

Ah, whatever. All aboard the hype train! No getting off until we reach the station.
xenocanaan chapter 95 . 11/10
Yay! I'm so happy you updated! Things have been rough for me recently and this has really helped lift my spirits! Thank you for another wonderful chapter and I hope to read more of the reunions soon!
kaherast chapter 94 . 7/19
~Even though sometimes I forget to review,
I'll always appreciate you~
red-rocks11 chapter 94 . 7/11
So glad I got to read this chapter! I like how this chapter isn't super intense. When I read this I really got the sense of Cissnei's tiredness (if that makes sense?). It's good to see she's finally getting some rest after all the craziness that happened and I'm excited to see what's in the next chapter!
qwq qweqq chapter 94 . 6/5
I know you like when I leave insightful or critical reviews, but not today (I am a *little* sorry for that, but not really?). All aboard the hype train!
damagectrl.07 chapter 94 . 6/5
They made it! Man, Cissnei just can't catch a break. Yet another close call. Just a little more and they finally get to reunite. Can't wait to see how it all plays out. Looking forward to the next chapter!
Blue Fire Lily chapter 94 . 5/21
Holy crap, I was so scared for Cissnei at the beginning! Its all come good though - loving your work as always!
xenocanaan chapter 94 . 5/21
YES! The reunion chapters are nigh and Ardun the amazing Chocobo is alive! I'd say today is a good day! If chocobos actually existed and I could have one, I'd totally pick Ardun. The imagery of him doing whatever he had to do to get the former Turks to follow him is hilarious! Once again, any interaction between Vincent and Cissnei is appreciated. I love those two! I honestly can't wait for the reunions! We are so close I can't stand it! Thank you for the amazing chapter and good luck with writing the next chapter!
qwq qweqq chapter 93 . 4/23
Excited. I'm *so* excited.

Chapter was *very* descriptive, which I suppose is a strength. On the other hand, I feel like not much happened, and it was probably all too easy to get lost in the description and kind of miss key occurrences. I'm not sure if that was on purpose or accidental.

Either way, it's been a blast for the past... forty chapters? I think I've been around for that long, but didn't review for quite a while.
damagectrl.07 chapter 93 . 4/9
Great update and welcome back! I can't remember when I discovered this lovely gem of a fanfic, but I am so happy for youthis 9 year journey of writing must have been amazing with all the ups and downs. Thanks for not giving up on this fic and I'm really excited for what you have in store!
xenocanaan chapter 93 . 4/6
I am so happy you updated! I loved the chapter. Except, please, please PLEASE let Ardun be ok! I love that Chocobo and I don't want him o be dead with a snapped neck! So please let him have made it out of that and find his way back to her. Please? For your very devoted reader who loves you and this story so much? Maybe he ran to go fetch Vincent?
Ekaterine chapter 92 . 11/25/2016
4 years. I've been following this fic for 4 years. In that span of time, I've re-read this and 'I let them go' over and over again because I just love the way you write. The way you characterize your characters. I more or less get on just to check whether you've updated.

Thank you for continuing this fic. I look forward to future updates and possible sequels(pls) you may have in store!
red-rocks11 chapter 92 . 9/12/2016
I'm really glad for the update! I like this long chapter and the flying highwind part felt really intense! Hope to see a new chapter soon but I understand if you're busy. Just wanted to say you're an amazing writer and I'm really enjoying your story SageQuill. :)
damagectrl.07 chapter 92 . 8/29/2016
Great update! Definitely one of my favorite chapters so far. Very action-packed! Cissnei works so well with Avalanche. I just love what you've done with her character. Can she get any more badass?! The end of this chapter though...that cliffhanger! I absolutely cannot wait for the next chapter. I know it will be worth the wait, as always! Thanks for the fantastic update.