Reviews for Paradise Regained
a-delacroix chapter 1 . 3/30/2010
Hi,

Excellent series of stories, I really enjoyed reading it. Of course, it might have been even better if I had read them in the correct order rather than reading the second, then the third, and finally the first story.

I particularly enjoyed the more scientific/technical feel to the story compared to most fan fiction. Although I will admit, I skipped over most of your afterwords that went even further into the science. I felt the story went into sufficient depth. I am more interested in exploring the personal and societal ramifications of the science than getting bogged down in the nitty-gritty details of how things work.

The one area of the story that I felt didn't work really well was the 'Ambrose & Truewell go to Paradise' section. First, it seemed to drag on too long relative to the other portions of the story, all to make a relatively minor plot point. Second, I am not sure where you ultimately intend to take the Jaime and Ambrose relationship, but in this part of the story Ambrose almost never seemed to think about her. If she was his girlfriend and they had just gone through the whole accident and rebuilding story just days before, she should have been more on his mind. And when he was getting strung out on the uppers, it seemed a bigger portion of his lack of focus on his current task should have been caused by thoughts of Jaime. Ultimately, while reading this part, I never found myself enthralled by any of these characters or the things going on and I just kept thinking 'I wish he would hurry up and get back to Jaime and her sister'.

While the action sequences were fun and well-written, and necessary for a Bionic Woman story, my favorite part was when you were exploring what was going on inside Jaime's head. I liked how she was almost overwhelmed at times between the guys back in the control center talking to her at the same time as the military info database was explaining some weapon system and simultaneously she was experiencing an augmented reality view of her surroundings. You indicated towards the end of the story, how Jaime would like to have most of these features turned off, but I hope you don't go too far in that direction. Personally, I think some kind of quasi-smart database (but less than a full AI) plus augmented reality systems will become generally available in the next 10 to 20 years, although a non-invasive way of implementing them will have to be found before they will be widely accepted. So I find stories exploring these concepts interesting.

I am looking forward to more stories in this series. My preference would be to see it more tightly focused on Jaime as she continues to develop an understanding of her unique abilities. Oh, and I also really like where you are taking her sister's character. I like the geeky future scientist aspect. Hopefully, somewhere in the future you can do the 'big reveal' of Jaime's secret in such a way that when Becca finds out she immediately has to figure out some way to save Jaime from some life-threatening software glitch.

Thanks again for an interesting, thought provoking story,

Duane
Fruityone chapter 1 . 3/3/2010
Just stumbled upon your story, and I love it. I had watched the 2007 show when it was on air, and was dissapointed when it was canceled. I recently picked up the first season on DVD from netflix and it got me interested in reading more since there wasn't much out there from the revamp.

And I have to say, I love what you have written and have reread a few chapters since the first time. Can't wait to read more.