Reviews for Remembrance
Abracadebra chapter 1 . 1/2
A child's perspective, an adult's remembrance. This PBA-winning story is beautifully framed, and it is profound even though it is simple in language and structure. The first story by one of this site's most accomplished authors is revealing in many ways. Notably, in her very first outing, Snooky-9093 establishes her deep interest in the Jewish experience of WWII, as well as her ability to strike touch our hearts with a few poignant words and gestures. She never once names the heroes - the child didn't know their names - but we know exactly who she's writing about. I don't want to give away much, but the sentence after the "May 1988" subhead is so evocative. The child has grown to an adult, and has an adult's understanding of the horrors she experienced and witnessed. And a seven word sentence explains what brought her to where she is in 1988.

I'm looking at "First Stories" by my favorite authors as part of the Reviewathon, and I recommend taking a look at where your favorite authors started! Snooky stepped into the fandom with 400 words and quickly established herself as a writer to watch. This is a great reminder (I"m talking to myself now!) that we can start small and still accomplish big things!
mlktrout chapter 1 . 12/19/2015
One of the most powerful short pieces I've ever read. Thank you!
FarmGirlForever chapter 1 . 6/8/2015
So touching! You tie it together so well. Is there any specific reason for the stones? My decent knowledge of Jewish traditions leaves me blank on this one.
FloatingPizza chapter 1 . 11/19/2014
Wow. Words kept to a bare minimum and all the more intensely powerful for it. Excellent job.
sparra-music chapter 1 . 6/27/2011
I see why you picked this one as the one to stay if you had to delete the rest.

VERY MOVING.

I love that you put "recited the Kaddish" and not "said a prayer". Excellent example of how one tiny detail can reveal something about a character.
inhonoredglory chapter 1 . 3/12/2011
I can only agree with Susan M.M. Powerful. The whole story has such a hushed melody in it, a feeling of transient simplicity. So abbreviated, so implied. We read between the lines and feel the pulse of depth and feeling that the words alone do not provide. Now that is writing.

Congratulations on the Papa Bear Award for this, your first piece. You sure deserved it!
Susan M. M chapter 1 . 12/16/2010
Powerful.
hogan macgyver chapter 1 . 12/7/2010
I almost got all choked up on this.
Goeno chapter 1 . 4/14/2010
Brilliant! Yep, you were right. I liked it. The reason I like this kinda stuff is because I was born to like it! Well, born to focus on topics. That, and I've always liked a good plotline. HH provides that, as do you.
The Curious Kills chapter 1 . 1/14/2010
Aw, that's a very sweet scene. That's what I call some EXTREMELY good writing! So much said in so little.
ColHogan chapter 1 . 3/26/2009
Well-written story. Beautifully told. At least in this story Hogan died of natural causes. i especially loved the ending in which the woman he helped years earlier remembered him when she saw his obituary and paid her respects to the man who helped her escape Germany years before.
Atarah Derek chapter 1 . 2/4/2009
That's so sweet. I can see that happening in an episode, and I wish it had. I know the show never touched on the Holocaust, partly due to respect for the Jewish actors involved, but I think that they missed out on a lot of potential plot lines. I just can't imagine that there were no Jews left in Hammelburg or Germany who wouldn't use the Underground to escape to England. That's where I really wish Hogan's Heroes was more like MASH. Your story helps fulfill that wish, though.
Lost in a Jungle chapter 1 . 12/7/2008
Beautiful story... I really liked this one.
smithcrafter chapter 1 . 11/25/2008
Good. Different.
GSJessica chapter 1 . 11/23/2008
Very nice. Brief, but rich and expressive at the same time.