Reviews for The Dark I Know Well
Spring Awakening News chapter 1 . 3/22/2013

Aria Charade chapter 1 . 3/30/2011
Alright, I really wanted to like this story. I, too, am a Spring Awakening aficianado. Unfortunately, I do believe you missed an integral piece of both characters. It is NOT that he wants to have sex with Ilse before he dies. Moritz is overwhelmed by EMOTION. He is afraid of love, of uncertainty, of feelings, because he is already filled to the brim with sadness. How could he bear anymore? While he teeters on the brink of giving up on this lifetime, here comes Ilse. A free-spirited, bohemian girl who has spent her years wandering aimless, without a home. Without anyone who really cares about her. She IS the Blue Wind that whistles over the grasses and through the trees. She is in continual search of the innocence her father stole when she was a child. (In case you are unaware, she was raped by her father and participates in the song "The Dark I Know Well) She sees Moritz as a life line back to childhood, her one last hope to find her innocence. Moritz wants more than anything to BE with her. To find a sacred place with her. To feel not sadness, but ESCAPE. RELEASE. The absence of this pain and sadness. LOVE. It was never about "sex." Sex is nothing but a vessel in which we FEEL another's secret soul. To let that soul into ours and simply FEEL deeply. But he is afraid of his soul. His soul scares him, and he doesn't feel he has enough room inside himself to make room for Ilse's soul. When he refuses to go with Ilse, she realizes...'My innocence is gone for good, then.' And he realizes...'Emotion to big, too vast. I cannot fit it inside my heart, it spills and drowns me. No longer can I feel this. This. So Dark." Consider Moritz's suicide monologue: "For the love of God, all I had to do was say yes! Ilse? Ilse!...So, what will I say? I'll tell them all-the angels. I got drunk and played in the snow, then sang and played pirates. Yes, I'll tell them. I'm ready now. I'll be an angel...Ten minutes ago, you could see the entire horizon. Now, only the dusk. The first few stars. Shadows. Dark...So dark. So dark. So dark. So dark. So dark." He resolves to tell the angels he will meet in heaven, 'Yes! I lived! I truly lived without fear!' Because to live without fear is what he wants most, but cannot do. He doesn't know how. It was never about sex. It was always about FEAR and the desire to OVERCOME IT. Does that make sense? I hope you take no offense to this review, because the writing is decent. But the interpretation is shallow. I hope you found this helpful. The characters really are complex. Cheers, Dear.
Cassandra Starr chapter 1 . 7/2/2009
So sweet... but so sad! I wanted to cry when I read the line, "He had no reason left to live." Tragic :( Still, great story
SPEEEEEEEAK chapter 1 . 3/22/2009
Aw! I love this one so so so so so much! Amazing job!
Vision in Blue chapter 1 . 2/26/2009

Wow; that was pretty awesome stuff. I, too, recently found/fell in love with Spring Awakening. Although I may see it live in summer, I never saw it live yet either. *grumble*

I actually found a link online to some bimbo who taped the entire show (off-broadway, I think) and put it on google video. If you respond to this review I'll PM it to ya.

[no, i'm not advertising anything, fyi] ;D

Like I said again, loved it. *faves*
fires have fly-ed chapter 1 . 1/27/2009
aw so sad! but i like it. :)
bellmaree chapter 1 . 1/26/2009
It's sad, but cute. The only problem I've got with it is at the beginning it says 'Melchior' where it should say 'Moritz.' Sorry for pointing that out, I'm a bit of an obsessive-compulsive editor. I liked it, anyway.
ubersnazzy chapter 1 . 1/7/2009
aw this scene is so sad

i'm listening to all that's know right now haha

'“Because! I have a sword!” Ilse decided, pretending to corner him with a sword.

“No you don’t,” Moritz stated as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“We’re pretending!” Ilse reminded.'

i liked that part of the flashback :)

keep writing you're really good!
justcuz86 chapter 1 . 1/2/2009
OMG this was so good! That scene always makes me cry. I've had the pleasure of seeing it live three times, twice with the original cast. But that scene always makes me cry and the little flashback that you put in makes it worse! It's so sad and you did a good job of capturing them especially if you have yet to see the play live. I hope you see it soon because youtube videos do not do it justice.
musicalsarelife chapter 1 . 12/27/2008
Poor Moritz. This was really touching. I really liked the flashback. The last line was really nice.
linklovesme chapter 1 . 11/27/2008

The Dark I know well.

I'm listening to Touch Me...hehe. It's my new favorite Spring Awakening song.

ANYWAY, great story! I hope you write more Spring Awakening stories!

Chinese or Italian? Shudder. Italian.

Keep up the great writing.
ILuffMarkyPirate chapter 1 . 11/26/2008
whoot awsomeness! it is really good
IAmNowACheckerboardChick chapter 1 . 11/23/2008
Ooh, Spring Awakening. I don't know anything about this play... but this fic was really well written! The flash back was really cute. Congrats on finding a new broadway play obsession!