Reviews for Mirror, Mirror
sarramaks chapter 1 . 3/30/2009
This was a beautiful piece of writing. Very descriptive and I though the structure was excellent. I loved this paragraph "She put her hand to the glass and pressed the palm flat, staring into the eyes of her ghost, wishing to swap places. Wishing she could fall through the looking-glass, fall into some other place where nothing was quite the same, and yet where everything was unchanging. She pushed, but nothing moved. Just the glass with its silver trapped behind, and her pale cold hands not quite meeting." I found it very eerie and silent - if that makes sense.

Keep writing!
chrysalis escapist chapter 1 . 1/2/2009
Sorry I'm late, but as you said there would be spoilers I thought it would be better to wait until I had seen that episode.

I have to say that Lindsay is probably my least favorite on the show but it turns out that's because of the story-time and storylines they give her so thank you for writing this for her character.

Fantastic idea with the mirror and using all the imagery of reflections. Awesome descriptions, I really don't know how to choose which to quote :). I loved how the image of herself in the mirror reflected a change in perception and also identity, as she really no longer is exactly the person she was before. I loved how her reflection refused to mirror her, kind of showing that her confidence and determination is really just a mask, that then of course fails her.

Loved the return of reflective material everywhere, particularly the shards forming a gaping mouth were intense. I got the feeling there was again a link to her inability to form the words she needs to say, and also the hint that someone might get hurt by what is said. Also loved the fractured image of herself, her emotional state must be pretty factured at the moment so that was a fantastic metaphor. Also really liked the idea of faint shadows trapped in the walls like a part of us only lives in our reflection (which is actually true in the way that our identity is to a great deal made up from how others perceive us).

Very intense how the words, which will confirm the change in her identity, seemed to take her over and she couldn't say them then for fear of losing her self. And very poignant how she feels so alone in this, believing that the mirrors always tell the truth. I loved that the glass divided her, and how her reflection was where she could not be. Particularly loved how her reflection turns towards him as she turns away. (If the reflection shows the truth then that's a good sign ;)).

Loved the link to 'Through the Looking-glass' and the image of her hands not quite meeting and her fingerprints (confirming her identity). The streetlamps reflecting from low clouds and the heartbeat mirroring her own, perfect ending to this wonderful story!
thealycat chapter 1 . 11/28/2008
Oh wow, what a great thing to find! It is a true fact that Lindsay has not been much love. The way we see Lindsay in the show actually is very much like your descriptions, which are amazing. Like the way you described the 'rigid whorls and lines' of the fingerprints and the words that 'fell leadenly to the floor, in synchrony with the silent movement of the reflection’s lips'; those were genius. Also loved how you compared the fractured glass to Lindsay. Great use of mirrors and glass to describe her not being able to run away from the 'face in the mirror', her reflection, that stared back at her. The last line was amazing though, with the 'stars masked by the glow of streetlamps' and the fact that she could 'feel another heart beating, mirroring her own.' Lovely. Hope you're having a great day!

Aly
temporary relief chapter 1 . 11/25/2008
Right, review. I knew that. And by the way because I know people read reviews before they read AMAZING STORY right here!

Very poignant. 'Words fell leadenly to the floor, in synchrony with the silent movement of the reflection’s lips. She had practiced them over and over. No good just speaking them to herself, but saying them to anyone else would make them far too real.' Sad, but it is real. I wonder what Danny's reaction will be when he finds out that he's the father. I'll try not to laugh too hard in the show as it's a serious matter, but I just think of Danny and who he is. He finally messed up. The player has made a mistake. Haha! Sorry, I do find humor in all situations. I loved how she kept seeing all these mirrors and keeps thinking that she is so different than she is.

And it was a very sad ending. I just really don't know how else to say it. Beautifully written. Fantastically done! Have a fantasitic day! XD
nomorewriting chapter 1 . 11/25/2008
Very poetic story with great imagery. I liked how this was Lindsay-centric. Great job.
notesofwimsey chapter 1 . 11/25/2008
You have such a gift for strong poetic language which makes the images so clear, and in this case, painful.

I always enjoy reading what you do to make a moment mean more.
webdlfan chapter 1 . 11/25/2008
Wow ... some really great descriptions. I really think these emotions are in Lindsay's face. She doesn't have to talk for us to hear them ... and I think you did a great job capturing them!
lily moonlight chapter 1 . 11/25/2008
Thank you for the dedication :) I'm flattered, and will of course continue to 'remind' when updates are due XD

Thank you for posting this, and rescuing it as it were. It's very good indeed, and I do agree with you about Lindsay not getting enough love or indviduality. I think you've reached very successfully into her head with this story, and taken out some of what her character's deepest fear are, as I see them. That she is someone who is deeply insecure about her identity and afraid of losing it, and being consumed by someone and something else.

I love how you use an image and an idea and run with it to form something as beautifully written as this. The idea of the mirrors and relflection and all associations work beautifully, along with all the colours used. The pacing is excellent, and the point of repetition here, is like an echo fading away, 'reminding her constantly that she was alone, alone, alone.'

I just, as always, love your descriptions so much and they draw me in this instance into a world of greys and silvers and not-quiteness, which is the state Lindsay appears to be in. I love these lines, 'Mirrors. Everywhere, mirrors. Faint shadows trapped in the separating walls between the separate rooms. Her face suddenly, in the curved silver steel of a tap. Wide eyes snagged on scalpel blades. A pixelated spectre at the edge of a monitor.' It captures exactly that feeling of being unable to escape your refelction, and also gives the feeling that Lindsay's reflection is more than she is.

It works very well that Danny is not named, although his presence is there, as this is entirely Lindsay's story, with the ghosts and reflections of the other significant person to her, 'Glass divided her. She watched him through the walls, intent on his work, and a wraith of herself ghosted back, her reflection standing beside him where she could not. Her mouth moved, formed words she knew she needed to say to him,'

Then the ending. Excellent. Still alone, but not alone, with another life not-quite within her. She has been taken over again. It finished where it needed to, another life mirroring her own. Superb.
SallyJetson chapter 1 . 11/25/2008
I liked how you used reflective surfaces to 'mirror' Lindsay's physical state and mental state - a reflection of a truth she cannot escape. I particulary liked this line for its capture of Lindsay's personality: 'She tried to look confident and determined, and got as far as defiant.' And I liked the gradual reveal in this ending phrase: 'and imagined that she could feel another heart beating, mirroring her own.'
afrozenheart412 chapter 1 . 11/25/2008
My god, that was great. Full of poetry and pain. And yes, no love from TPTB, but at least she will with the baby. Loved this "and imagined that she could feel another heart beating, mirroring her own."