Reviews for The Measure of Mercy
DocumenteKaze232111 chapter 1 . 5/23/2014
I truly, truly wish this were canon. Such a lovely, profound little detail.

Keep Reading, Writing, and Reviewing,
Serah
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
Oh, how sad. I would not be reassured knowing that Albus was waiting for *me*, but I'm sure Charity was.
Snarky64 chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
A very striking and poignant one-shot for one of the most chilling scenes in the books. Very atmospheric. Well done.
MinervasBibliophage chapter 1 . 5/24/2012
This was really good. It was sweet how even though he couldn't save her life he was able to spare her the unnecessary pain and bring her some peace before her brutal end. Not to mention he was able to restore her faith in him; he wasn't just the former colleague who committed the ultimate betrayal, he was a friend doing his best giving the ultimate sacrifice. Your insight in the author's note was interesting and actually makes a lot of sense; I hadn't really thought of it like that before. I had thought it was interesting how she considered them to be friends since Snape was usually portrayed as antisocial, though being from Harry's limited point of view the series was probably a tad biased in his regard.
snarky Beth chapter 1 . 7/28/2011
Interesting way of writing this scene. I’d thought it was interesting that she called him by ‘Severus’ and not ‘Snape’ too. It showed to me that they really did have some sort of friendship, which made it all the more sad when she was killed.
WeirdDolly chapter 1 . 5/24/2011
lovely. So sad.
adaon45 chapter 1 . 10/11/2010
I love this. I am meditating my own fic about Snape and Charity Burbage, but it strikes me that there is an interesting bond implied between them-that she addresses him as "Severus," and that she expects his help (even in the aftermath of Dumbledore's "murder") suggests this. And how intriguing, that the Muggle Studies professor and the head of Slytherin might have even the slightest bond . . .

I'm glad you show Snape comforting Charity, because this scene is just so traumatic in the book. And you write very well, too-I will have to look out for more stories from you.
Nikita-Lee chapter 1 . 7/29/2010
Wow, what an incredible story. Brilliant imagery and insight.
JoeBob1379 chapter 1 . 3/26/2010
I like this. An interesting thought you have there about Charity extending that mercy to him by calling him "Severus."
Jemennuie chapter 1 . 1/16/2010
Aw, this is really sweet and sad, and your author's note is very thought-provoking.
notwolf chapter 1 . 10/3/2009
Wow, that was powerful, it brought a tear to my eye. You are an excellent writer. :P
Chemistress chapter 1 . 9/11/2009
I don't really know what to write... this scene in the book, right at the beginning, it has been so heart-breaking...but you have found a way to make it a little easier to accept - for Severus as well as for Charity.
The Winterwitch chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
This is really, truly wonderful. A very much missing scene to the book, too, and one you filled perfectly. I absolutely agree with you - Charity using his given name indicates that there's more to that scene than it seems. In my mind, Severus is tormented by this scene and this happening, and by her desperate plea... you gave her some solace, and some peace, and I hope he can experience some quiet of mind from this.
duj chapter 1 . 9/6/2009
Hmm, what you saw as a measure of mercy for him, I saw as coals of fire heaped on his head. But if he was able to give her comfort at the end, it would have provided him a little too.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 1 . 3/29/2009
What a beautifully-written story: painful and peaceful, just like the situation it describes. I agree with you about how disturbing the canon scene is, and I find it even more so since I've started reading HP fanfiction: I've read a couple of stories (written before DH) that make a full-fledged character of Charity, so her death is even more powerful to me now. (I suspect JKR deliberately chose a character that *hadn't* been very present in canon, since her death scene is so much more intense/frightening than battle-death scenes.)

Using Dumbledore is a lovely touch, too. And what a daring, courageous act on SS's part; of course he knew how easily he could have been discovered. You've done a wonderful job showing the unstrained quality of mercy. (Love the repeated lines: "Severus sat silent as shadow" - the s's nicely sibilant and snaky, and yet also soft and soothing. And using his first name rather than his last - a perfect choice.)