Reviews for Shelob's Bane
Aslan's Princess chapter 1 . 10/27/2021
Oh, I loved this. And Legolas's reaction to Sam's brave deed was perfect.

I only just read this passage for the first time a little while ago, and so I loved seeing a rewriting, as well as translation of the elvish, as presented here. Yes, Sam would only gloss over this triumph at best. Dare I say, never a more stouthearted hobbit ever did live. Nor one quite so humble. And I agree: Shelob's Bane indeed.
Number Girl chapter 1 . 3/23/2016
Ah! How I love this! I too have searched for such a story as this, but failed awfully 'till now!
I love how you took that scene of Sam scaring the ever-livin' crap out of Shelob, and the dangerous wrath of a Hobbit having tortured such a great evil. And then of course Legolas's own wrath towards the creature whose kind defiled his own home; I do not for a moment fault his glee over her pain. Indeed, it is said that the giant spiders are the only living creatures that these Elves slay without thought of mercy.
Ana75 chapter 1 . 5/1/2014
I was searching for a story about Sam and Shelob. I found this and I simply loved it.
fantasychica37 chapter 1 . 12/15/2013
Hahaha! I love this- this is that rare blend of sorrow and joy that is the spirit of Tolkien's LOTR writing!
KathyG chapter 1 . 7/25/2013
This is a delightful story! Thanks for writing it.
Eneicia chapter 1 . 3/2/2012
I really enjoyed this story, I loved the look of legolas' face :D
Larner chapter 1 . 11/19/2011
Ah, Maureen, but I love this! None of us manages to write all tales, and I rejoice that you have done this one! Eglerio!
gginsc chapter 1 . 9/2/2011
I think Legolas would have loved the story of Sam and the spider! The brave Hobbit!
Darkover chapter 1 . 7/15/2011
Dear Kara's Aunty: This is great! As you realized, sometimes when you can't find the kind of story you want, you have to write it yourself. That is how fan fiction was born, I believe. You needn't worry about characterization-you did a more than fine job of portraying both Gandalf and Legolas, while also writing of Sam's courage. One nitpicking detail: I believe that in Tolkien's universe, the Sun is referred to as "She," at least by Elves. Gandalf, with his affinity for the Firstborn, undoubtedly would do the same. Otherwise, this story is excellent. Thanks for writing and posting it. Sincerely, Darkover
Frodo's sister chapter 1 . 7/14/2011
This is a good story.
KShara Khan chapter 1 . 5/13/2011
I think that you have the anger of Samwise down very well.

This story is very well done and I would hope that you will add more to it, meaning more of the journey of Frodo and Samwise!
BJ chapter 1 . 2/5/2011
Where's the 'like' button when you need it?

Keep up the good work!
Miriam1 chapter 1 . 8/17/2010
I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to find this story that you had written so long ago, but I'm glad that I had taken the time to read it.

It is wonderful work, as always. Gandalf and Legolas would have indeed worried for their Hobbit friends. I didn't know that reading of memories was one of Gandalf's gifts, but I'm good with it. It works for me, and your story.

And you are right: Sam would have dismissed his deeds of valour, thinking only of those of Mr. Frodo as worth mentioning, thinking that he had only done what he should, nothing more or nothing less.

I'm glad you brought this story to light.

There are thoughts that Sam has he would never have thought of as important, but clearly, we as an audience appreciate (or should. Or if not, at least I do).

To be honest, I bet that if asked, Sam might have indeed helped Thranduil, as well. He would be honored by any request made of him by an elf, especially the father of his friend Legolas. He would modestly respond that he'd do his best, and proceed to clean up house. That's our Sam, for you!

Thank you for that lovely insight, and this lovely story.

Sincerely,

Miriam
Cassandra30 chapter 1 . 8/17/2009
Quite heroic!
blacksleeves chapter 1 . 2/5/2009
a wonderful story idea, I like it!

Thanks!