Reviews for I, Robian
Linz2 chapter 1 . 3/11
I love it…
StoryMaker the Echidna chapter 1 . 5/4/2013
Pretty good! I love roboticization - in fact, it may be my favorite thing to ever come from Sonic. I've never thought about roboticization very much from the physical perspective (perhaps because the emotional side is enough to be torture), but I really like your treatment of it. It makes me understand more why the roboticized would consider their state detrimental even after the restoration of their will. Definitely something to consider for my own stories...(or maybe more like "for my daydreams" because I rarely bother writing these things down xD)

I like how your treatment of roboticization really makes it so the roboticized are really no longer alive. They're things. Formerly, I often thought of roboticization as not changing you that much physically; you kept all your parts, they were just mechanized. Now, I'm reconsidering this idea after reading your story and seeing how this huge transformation would make roboticization so much more impactive, and actually give a very strong reason why Robians would want full de-roboticization.

I would mention that, in SatAM, Robians are demonstrated to have tear ducts and stomachs - Uncle Chuck was shown crying and once eating a chilli dog as a Robian. However, that is NOT a complaint. I myself almost never strictly adhere to canon. In fact, I usually end up mixing up ideas from several different universes, adding my own, getting rid of ones I don't like, etc. to make my own canon.

So...great story! Roboticize on, my friend. (Wait...what did that even mean...?)
DC111 chapter 1 . 4/19/2012
Neat.

It's not very often one comes across a well-written second-person story... or any second-person story, really. But on the occasion that I do, I tend to think it's not gonna be very good. It's just... weird, you know? Usually, anyway. An unusual style of storytelling.

But I really liked this, which I guess is why I'm reviewing. It's a thoughtful little glimpse into this drastic life-change from Mobian to Robian. I'm one of those people who adores heavy description of thoughts, sensations, emotions, feelings. That's just what pulls me in, personally, and makes me feel emotionally invested in the story. And the way you use second-person to describe what is happening to the subject really makes ya feel like you're they're. Great appeal to the senses and imagery.

'Pain comes with birth and indeed, you have been reborn. However, this is not the pain of biological creation, pain that is offset by the love that comes from a father and mother, radiating upon their child. This is not the pain of disgust, should your birth have not been desired. No, this pain is from energy.'

Interesting little insight here, contrasting the different ways that pain can be felt because of different reasons. I'm not even exactly sure what I want to say about this, lol, just found it worth noting that it was intriguing. :)

Funny how something that was intended for good causes so much suffering, as you pointed out.

'You can't hear yourself breathing. You don't breathe. Your lungs no longer exist.'

Little impact-sentences like this, along with saying how they don't have tear ducts and 'know' where they are going even though they don't actually know where the factory is, almost makes something stir inside because it's actually really sad. Roboticization seems like it makes beings so lifeless compared to before, despite that it apparently makes them healthier and more able.

Anyway, good job. :D

~DC
tanithlipsky chapter 1 . 12/15/2011
nice and sad
Alex Warlorn chapter 1 . 5/28/2010
I can't quite tell if you were going the 'Sat-AM' rout of being stuck observing as your body did things on auto pilot, or the Archie Sonic style of being brainwashed. Either way, VERY expressive.
EvilSammich chapter 1 . 7/14/2009
This definitly sounds like an accurate, first-hand account of someone experiencing roboticization. Excellent work! You get 10,0,0,0 internetz and the ancient cookie of awesomesauce 8D.
MarioDS01 chapter 1 . 1/18/2009
That was pretty interesting point of view of what being a robot is like for Dr. Robotnik. Man that seems pretty depressing... Glad this kind of thing is fiction, I would never want this to happen to me or anyone I love...
Frozen Nitrogen chapter 1 . 1/17/2009
Chilling. I enjoyed the second-person-ness a lot, and it had the effect I've no doubt you were going for, roping you in and leaving me thinking "What would it feel like to not have any lungs?"

One thing that did bug me, though, was the sentence structure. Pretty much every other sentence starts with the word "You". While one obviously needs that word, a LOT, in second-person, repeating that motif all through the chapter dampened its impact a little, IMO.

Still, 'tis muchos good. My favourite line was "It is irrelevant what Buzzbombers are, or what they do. All that matters is that you aid in their construction."

- Because you don't need to know. All you need is to OBEY. :D

Petty proofreading:

"The first instance of your life bring you pain."

- Come back, S! Come back!
generationalccwr chapter 1 . 1/11/2009
All the people that are like, "cool, so and so got roboticized!" need to read this. This was very refreshing, and thank you for writing it.
azngirlchibi chapter 1 . 11/28/2008
Amazing.

This was so amazing. I have never seen a story quite like this before, and telling it through second-person view just made it so much more personal. I love how you describe how anything organic or "human" (for lack of a better term) is broken down, taken away, or used to make you more efficient at serving your "master." This is so, so amazing, and you should be really proud of what you wrote here