Reviews for Mastery of Seas
Bonnielass90 chapter 1 . 4/13/2010
I really like the music this poem brings to my ears. I can almost FEEL everything you wrote, portray it perfectly in my mind, if that makes sense.

Another success accomplished Nytd! Congratulations
Willofthewisp chapter 1 . 2/23/2010
Oh wow, this is so much fun. It's so dark and yet so fun, like a fairy tale. I can see a group of pirates gathering around a fire, rum in hand, and one starts into a story with this ominous, fantastic song. I couldn't even tell it was borrowed from LOTR until the immortal "One King(ring) to rule them all" line. I especially love all the references to the Code. They really do abide by it, these pirates, truly a set of guidelines to live their lives by.
Anne Lessing chapter 1 . 1/6/2009
I loved it. The timing and pace was amazing. Excellent drabble.
icestar14 chapter 1 . 12/7/2008
nice :) the first couple of lines didn't really ring any bells at first, but when i got to the "one king to rule them all" then i got it. sorry i'm a bit slow today; it took me five minutes to realize that i forgot to click the internet icon a second time
Lasgalendil chapter 1 . 12/5/2008
I caught the play of the Ring Verse!

I liked King, Song, Code, and how you tied them together with the (LOTR) motif of 1. Is there a way to mention the 9 pieces of 8 that the Song finds?

Before I say anything else, a disclaimer: I don't know what the rules were for the Reign challenge, so I apologize in advance if none of this advice can be applicable to your poem.

The numbers play an important role in this piece-we keep counting down for something big! With this countdown inter-spliced with the Drink up me hearties, we want something exciting to happen at the end. Anaphora is the repetition of a phrase or sentence throughout a piece, often subtly changing significance throughout the poem. "Drink up me hearties, and bring me that horizon" is a very pirate-y feeling phrase, but I'm not sure it's strong enough to carry the weight of the piece-it has a strong ENDING feel, and I would definitely keep it there, but I doesn't seem to do much work throughout the rest of the piece besides be an obvious quotation from Jack Sparrow at the end of Curse of the Black Pearl.

Keep the "Drink up me hearties," as this is standard pirate jargon. But dig a little deeper and see if you can't alternate the last half of the phrase each time to relate more with the rhyming lines around it. I think playing around with this a bit more will strengthen this poem a lot by making it less repetitive and making the ending more fulfilling and releasing.

Happy revising!

Lasgalendil
Asher Elric chapter 1 . 11/29/2008
Holey crap! that was brilliant!

I wasn't too sure what this would be but since you always write the most brilliant things, I was all, it can't be that bad! this was better! much more better! and brilliant!

much more better-ly brilliant!
Blue-Starlight92 chapter 1 . 11/29/2008
Nice! I like it, and I recognized the LotR part.
Tina Marina chapter 1 . 11/29/2008
Very funny, Nytd! Now I've got to go write one... ;)

Like the way it fit perfectly into the LotR!
damsel-in-stress chapter 1 . 11/29/2008
Amazing! Very poetic and interesting.

"One King to rule them all, one Song to find them, One Code to govern all and upon their honor bind them" - Someones been reading/watching way too much LotR .. ;)

Lovely.

~Damsel
FreedomOftheSeas chapter 1 . 11/28/2008
Wow! This is such a refreshing poem, beautifully written and very very piratey. I could see Gibbs singing this with a bottle o' rum in hand!

Wonderful job at using the prompt! I'm really glad that people are enjoying the challenge :)
Dr. Sugar chapter 1 . 11/28/2008
Yah, first review! Nice poem Nytd, you've got a nice flow to it.

Dr. Sugar