Reviews for Reflections
detectivejigsaw chapter 2 . 9/12/2014
This introspection is quite fascinating. Vimes and Vetinari are two of my favorite characters, too. The latter is one who I love as a book character, but if he truly existed, I would probably hate him because he's so bleeding manipulative.
solussword chapter 1 . 5/6/2011
They say that the best stories tell you what you already know. This has done that. It's a wonderfully abstract story on Vimes's character, and Vetinari's view on it. What it doesn't do is actually show Vimes's character in action, where it's most interesting and vibrant, instead of Vetinari's head. Otherwise, awesome.
RachelClaire chapter 2 . 1/25/2010
That was great! I liked Vetinari's one better but they were both very insightful, and you've really captured the voice of the characters. Two thumbs up!
placeholder89 chapter 2 . 10/26/2009
THATS IT!

Ok. Well. I can see why it could end there... I think.

BUt I like it very much. You make a lot of ABSOLUTE points.
placeholder89 chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
You do Terry Pratchet too well. I almost thought this was written by him.
dragon chapter 2 . 6/3/2009
This story is pretty short but i really like it. It's nice.
Mr Stereo1 chapter 2 . 4/5/2009
Well displayed characters, five asterix shaped stars *
zela chapter 1 . 12/15/2008
This fic gets points just for these two lines:

'If he believed in Gods, instead of merely knowing they existed, he'd thank them.'

'...the tyrant who wants to be a tyrant tomorrow, as well as today, needs to know that he cannot.'

Actually, make that three:

'Vimes is not a law unto himself.

He is himself unto the law.'

That ... that is just the PERFECT description. Perfect and accurate. Perfectly accurate.

Lovely fic. Very well constructed.

*grins* I give you props.
Eicklehart chapter 2 . 12/12/2008
this was an interesting take on their viewpoints, and i LOVE sam vimes! he;s my favourite discworlder (apart from the irresistible nobby nobbs XD)
Destenys Angel Pyra chapter 2 . 12/4/2008
You wrote the two charaters awesome,both views are intressting and most of all believable!

This is I think the best compliment I could give you,even though you could easily understand the text and your writting was also very good.

The in my opinon most important point is especilly in a story like this,is that it make sense.

The fact that you wrote about my two favourite characters is also a big plus point,all in all,fantastic,if you have other ideas concering the discworld I would love to read them

Pyra
Kiseki no Tenshi chapter 2 . 12/4/2008
Great insight into the characters! _
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 12/3/2008
Wow. I so love this-Vetinari relies on Vimes to stop him, and Vimes relies on Vetinari to keep him within the cage of the law.

Where was this guy when we needed in him Iraq? Arresting an entire battlefield sounds about right...

And everybody's got a monster in their basement (Mother Theresa made hers clean bedpans, but she was a very practical woman). Vimes is simply more aware of his than most.

Could you write something about the growing, and similar, relationship between Lipwig and Carrot?
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 12/3/2008
Ah, so Vetinari is a solipsist, at least some of the time (although sometimes he probably falls from that faith when he realizes that not even he could create some of the really stupid people he runs into at times). I like the way he's glad of Vimes to keep him from becoming a real tyrant.
Charli800 chapter 1 . 12/1/2008
This was interesting and definitely well wrtten from a technical point of view (except that one inconsistency that Virtuella has already pointed out), but I think you could have played the theme out better.

I didn't pick up on the 'Reflections' in the story - it seemed more like lock and key to me, and somewhat unsubstantiated at that. I would have liked to follow your train of logic.

That said, there was definitely a fascinating relationship there, even if it wasn't as developed as I hoped.

Happy writing,

Charli
eruthiel chapter 2 . 12/1/2008
:D That was hugely good and genuinely clever. Perhaps Havelock sees Vimes as a sort of human Rubik's Cube (in eleven-dimensional space, of course X3).

"And he was scared of that, too, because he knew that, for the good of the city, Vetinari would let that beast out. If he had to. But that's not, really, what scares Vimes, because as much as Vimes would like to think so, Vimes isn't sure he'd try to stop him…"

He wouldn't be /able/ to stop him! It was a good and intruiging conclusion. Havelock unleashing the, er, Terrier on the City! - It might be for the greater good, but would it be good for Vimes? No... it would be very bad for him... and, come to think of it, bad for Havelock, too. He deals well with stuff, but imagine the immense psychological effects of finally solving the eleven-dimensional Rubik's Cube. Perhaps it would be too difficult, even for Vimes and Havelock together, to reign the beast back in... *scary thought*

If this is the standard to which you always write, I would be delighted to see some more Discworld stuff from you (but perhaps with a hint of a plot)! Keep it up.

-Eru