Reviews for The Absence
Socrates399 chapter 1 . 9/13/2010
You know, I personally would never try my hand at Charles Dickens fanfiction (And now that I've said that, I'll be writing reams of it in a year or two. :-P) and I've never searched Dickens fanfiction on this website, but I'm really impressed by this story. (I stumbled on it in a very indirect way.)

I think you manage to invoke Dickens's voice, but at the same time you do not write a Dickens pastiche. And I think you capture the mature Carton very well.
ElvishKiwis Venerated Ancestor chapter 1 . 6/2/2009
Very well written,

I love the little things which add reality to the story like the 'monotonous drum' of his footsteps on the cobblestones and the echoes. Those are the type of things which Dickens used to notice too and put into his stories.

I like this line:

"Compelled by a rumor of fear that rose within him without reason..."

It is almost as if his emotional side of his brain is spreading rumours to the rational side of his brain. The rational side is being forced to comply, because the emotions are stronger. It is such a vivid word picture of the tension he is struggling with, and put so succinctly too. Well done.
Renee6061 chapter 1 . 5/31/2009
Good job. I love the line "Do I have to get you out of every scrape you get into?” :-) It's so true!
ChocolateIsMyDrug chapter 1 . 2/27/2009
I absolutely love this! You really captured Sydney perfectly. I love how he automatically asks after Mrs Darnay instead of Charles or the doctor. I love this missing moment - very plausible. Please write more AToTC stuff!
cto10121 chapter 1 . 1/30/2009
SYDNEY IS AWESOME! I just love him. :D

Great job! Really liked it. :D
Lyrical12 chapter 1 . 1/19/2009
This is great! I just read your profile and it's so nice to find another Sydney Carton fan. His story really touched me, but no one else seems to agree. When we read the novel in English class, everyone hated it except for me. They couldn't find any redeeming qualities in Carton whatsoever; it was though they completely missed the point of the novel. Thank you for this wonderful scene, and I hope you write more about TOTC's true hero!
GoldenAshes chapter 1 . 12/29/2008
I have always wondered how exactly he found out they were in Paris. Interesting perspective of it! Quite enjoyable, particularly Sydney's 'do I have to get you out of every scrape' thought. And his unthinkingly asking for Mrs. Darnay. Nice job; I'm interested in more.
TheAlmond chapter 1 . 12/21/2008
Hey Cherise! (You know me under my alias, right? Thus far my name hasn't leaked into the realm of ...*grin*)

Here at last is your official review, although I can't say I have much to comment on aside from the fact that I really, really love what you did with this story. You took Dickens' characters and brought them to life again, in a way that doesn't clash with the book. Everything about your Sydney fits seamlessly with the "real" Sydney. I love, love, love how you show his emotions and affections. Very nicely done.

Oh, I noticed you left out the closing quotation in this sentence: '“I know all about the trial, he said impatiently...'

Keep up the good work!

~Almond
emma chapter 1 . 12/6/2008
that was great Cherise! It was suspenseful, engaging and exactly like something I would read over and over again just for the thrill, even though I know the end {this is after I've read the book several times before} I can't wait to read the next installment!
PhantomErikPhan chapter 1 . 12/4/2008