Reviews for Aftershocks
1324nnypq78 chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
unreadable. stop hitting the enter key between paragraphs.
Book girl fan chapter 9 . 12/10/2012
I'm slightly freaked out by how genuine this guy sounds! It must have taken a lot of effort for you to write something that authentic.
Kirsty841 chapter 22 . 1/14/2010
I really liked this story!

Your London characters seem fine to me (not that I'm an expert), the language seems to fit. Oh and "I had one of those, but the wheels fell off" made me giggle! I haven't heard anyone say that in *years*. Well, the northern version anyway, "we had one, but the handle fell off". :)
bandj4ever chapter 22 . 12/26/2009
What a slendid ride! Thoroughly engaging, entertaining, and the research is phenomenal. Your sources are not the only ones who rock. Particularly loved your Ruth. Long live Ruth. And, naturally, the star of the show is just that a STAR. Always. Thanks for wonderful read.
DarkBeta chapter 22 . 8/3/2009
"so you lose all your powers if you put on a necktie?" don't let Murdoch know!

"and he was so convinced that he'd made an indelible impression on you." where no man pursueth, and all that!

all (or at least many) of the loose ends are tied up succinctly and movingly. i like finding out what happens next to the characters you created (or fleshed in)! and, yes, being targeted by a fellow student might put you off painting class!

and, for the 22nd time, thank you!

DarkBeta chapter 21 . 8/3/2009
yes, one *does* wonder how "Hogan" played in the Germanies?

Ruth has such style; i like her outfits (and her cane!) and i loved (and envied) Mac's reverie on the Rubens.

"It's as amoral as moss. You think it's a toxin, don't you? It's a resource." wonderful, in character, philosophical.

you definitely played fair in introducing the murder suspect, and the clues. nicely plotted! and the denoument was excruciating . . . not so much the suspense of whether Mac will rescue Ruth, but the stretch where his better nature is subsumed.

thank you (for the 21st and penultimate time) for a wonderful story!

aw
DarkBeta chapter 20 . 7/27/2009
excellent vignette. just a glimpse of the other side of the story. (with all the misdirection floating around, it's useful to be reminded of who knows what.)

DarkBeta chapter 19 . 7/27/2009
". . . and this is the replica Monet." nice! (i'm glad Gordie got to have fun. might even be profitable; there's quite a market in forgeries, i hear.)

"Just how dumb does he think i am?" as dumb as you *made* him think you were! nice, again.

nice to see Mac shilling for the Challengers Club too.

thank you again for a lovely long story!

DarkBeta chapter 18 . 7/27/2009
"I'm not scared any more. I'm furious." Go Laura!

i got a little confused by the dogs/wolf comparison. "Show any weakness to a wild dog and you're fresh meat" - the previous 2 sentences seemed to be leading toward, "wolf/fresh meat" tho' of course a wolf is a dog, genetically, or rather, a dog is a wolf . . . . (even the teacup poodles!)

"That dweeby cousin of yours? . . . You *have* been wasting your time!" right, hit him where it hurts. uh, wait. it *doesn't* hurt?

"MacGyver, would you please teach me how to pick locks?" corrupting the young, again? the hemlock's waiting . . . .

"The mad scientist in the van was only mildly annoyed . . . ." but 'the mildly-annoyed scientist' just doesn't have the same zing!

"Better you than me." i *like* Willis! an unheroic good guy!

"And I thought the whole James Bond gadget business was just wishful thinking." when they issued the exploding Aston-Martins, why was *I* passed over?

lovely chapter, kind of a bridge to even more suspense!

DarkBeta chapter 17 . 7/23/2009
"Hain't you learned yet to watch your effin' language?"

"You can break into it with a toothpick and a stern expression."

i did mention how great your dialogue is, didn't i?

best wishes,

DarkBeta chapter 16 . 7/23/2009
nice contrast of two kinds of hunt, and two facets of Mac.

DarkBeta chapter 15 . 7/23/2009
(personal note: my mother's father raised a family of 5 (plus fosterlings) thru the Depression on deer and trout. for her, hamburger was a much bigger treat than venison!)

your analysis of Mac's thought process is wonderful; the way he thinks about things *all the time!* with a level of detail most of us couldn't manage and certainly don't bother with.

"Did it ever occur to you . . . that maybe I don't *need* one?" sweet, shy, boyish Mac most dangerous animal in the forest, and don't forget it!

"If you bet for real the way you bet for bragging, I'd invite you over for a poker game." you have a wonderful ear (or hand) for dialogue.

"How're we supposed to fight an enemy when they're so disorganized?" i read somewhere that the last thing you want to do in wartime is wipe out the enemy's command structure, because a leaderless mob can't surrender and can't be reined in. (not that i know anything about strategy.)

yet another *very* exciting chapter!

DarkBeta chapter 13 . 7/21/2009
beautiful description of the wilderness, its variety and strength.

"If you're going to ask all the questions for me, the least you can do is answer a few."

"If I'd made a plan without scoping out the situation first, I'd've just had to change it once I got here." since he's following a hunch anyhow, that actually makes sense (altho' not to Zak).

"Your plan's the nearest thing to hand. So I'll use that." can MacGyvering be taught?

"I've been waiting for you to call me for, like, ages!" way to walk into the scene!

". . . for once it didn't matter much if the cover was blown" and a good thing too, given the last paragraph.

love the dialogue of "Dexter" and Ruth!

DarkBeta chapter 12 . 7/21/2009
i like "rip-rap". precise words are such fun!

(and another - subtle - cliff-hanger. or maybe it's just the maintenance of suspence?)

DarkBeta chapter 11 . 7/21/2009
"Caravaggio? Effin' drama queen." ok, my art history class? I want Gordie Thompson teaching it!

"She also lusts over Bono, David Bowie, and Kurt Cobain." "Who?" well, so much for that long-term relationship.

"Pete talks you into a corner and Ruth makes sure there's a comfortable chair and a nice view." love this summary of their technique!

"Sometimes it feels like nothing else is real, or ever has been." That's a wonderful understanding of trauma.

You also build very nicely to the cliff-hanger!

With thanks for another wonderful chapter,