Reviews for No Accounting
charmedgrl4ever chapter 3 . 12/17/2008
konban wa

I love this. You so accurately portray so many things: (a) the characters themselves are just so in-character with the show. (b) The psychology of grief is so wonderfully written. This line in specific made me think, "Wow" - "braces himself for another day just like the day before."

I have a very long busride home from school. At the beginning of the ride, I always tell myself, "No matter how bored I get, I know it will end at some point." Still, the monotony of it... even though I know logically the boredom of a simple busride cannot kill me... I always feel as if I won't make it home today.

Except in this instance it is not boredom that will kill a person but the constant, monotonous pain that we feel never, ever goes away.

- - -

What I loved was the scene where House returns the money. As he once told Wilson, he has been objectively weighing the cost of their friendship. As it turned out, it was NOT about the money, as you mentioned in this chapter. What made Wilson finally leave House had nothing to do with any amount of cash - but because of love. Because of Amber and her death. Great way to tie in different episodes, intentional or not.

Ha det

GeeLady chapter 8 . 12/8/2008
House moves, stepping back from the sofa with the tiniest almost-smile at the corners of his mouth. Danger, danger, danger. It's not safe when House looks like that, the hopeful and damaged, sweet, endlessly selfish child peeking through the windows. You let him into your home, you feed him, he loves you, and when you're not looking he burns the place down. It's always an accident and he never, ever learns not to play with the stove.

So there it is. House and his father have been decades at war, and House is right. There's nothing fair in asking a man to tread grieving and alone into hostile territory. It's spectacularly unfair if the man in question is Gregory House, whose defective armor won't stop the bullets but does keep the medics from treating the wounds.

(GeeLady walks away, filled comfortably with the perfect savory words of Blackmare). Hail to the Chef.
G.E Waldo chapter 7 . 12/7/2008
"If he wanted to, if he really were a murderer, he could kill House right now. *Men are dangerous to one another, natural enemies rather than friends, a thing women forget but which is always, always present in the core of the male mind.* If Wilson chose, he could go to the kitchen, find one of House's beautiful Japanese knives, and physically finish the thing he began on the day he left. House would never see it coming; he never, ever does."

An insight that never occurred to me before. Cool.
GoddessofSnark chapter 7 . 12/7/2008
I really like this, and I really like this a lot. The short snippets work so well, a few paragraphs here, cutting to a completely different scene. It's something that I normally hate, but here it adds to the flow. Dark, moody, and so very very in tune with the dark moody nature of their friendship. It's always nice to find fics that manage to convey the friendship truthfully-and this one does it.
DreamsofSpike chapter 6 . 12/6/2008
accidentally ran across this here and had to give it a shot when i saw you wrote it :P and i was not in any way disappointed... this is remarkably moving and emotional and so painfully realistic, love... this is beautifully written, perfectly in character... i can absolutely feel wilson's emotions in this, and they're all absolutely understandable... can't wait to see where you take this next, love, it's fascinating so far :)

G.E Waldo chapter 5 . 12/6/2008
Writing this good makes me sort drunk with giddiness - simple yet intricate; nothing confusing about it at all yet I am taken to depths of emotion and understanding that are leave me delighted. Little happy butterflies in my tummy delighted.

That comes not just with the story but with the way a story is written - the particular flavor and style of the author - is like a really great meal preparred by a chef.

Or like finding a treasure on a beach and you know that you, and perhaps only a few other treasure seekers, recognise what a find it really is.

I know I'm supposed to render a critique, but I can only do that if something could use refining. This is perfect the way it is.
G.E Waldo chapter 6 . 12/6/2008
Chapters 5 & 6 both perfection. Your imagery is magic for the mind -

"He might as well be illiterate tonight. His eyes bounce right off the page.."

"All at loose ends, he drifts over to the piano, his hands following the long curves of its side. His mind finds rest here, so he stops, palms down on the cool surface. For some time he stands that way, keeping the company of his reflection in the lacquer."

Marvelous! You're either a professional writer or a polished to a blinding shine amature; either way - marvelous.
bendabletofu chapter 1 . 12/6/2008
This story is really compelling. I really urge you to continue! I think you captured the essence of House and Wilson's insecurities and character very well, and I would like to read more )
Beth chapter 4 . 12/5/2008
Oh wow. This is really good. Update soon!
GeeLady chapter 4 . 12/5/2008
Leaving it there means you're basically E-E-E-VIL!

But I love this story so I'll be back.
lotrmatrixstarwarsfan chapter 4 . 12/5/2008
This fic is just gorgeous! It's really poignant and makes my heart break for Wilson even though I don't even really like him that much.

You've really captured the feeling of being trapped, stuck in limbo, neither able to move forward, nor turn back time. Wilson's life is miserable because of what House indirectly cost him (Amber and the happiness she represented to him) and yet without House, he is still miserable, if not even more so. He is trapped in company he hates and I really felt his frustration as social norms and Wilson's need to conform force him to suppress his loathing. The isolation is made worse by the fact that he has no one to turn to to pour out his woes, his social life having being wrecked by the attention House requires.

I love how you've really expressed how co-dependent Wilson and House are on each other. As much as Wilson has given up a lot for House, he does take shelter in their friendship because House lets him drop his social mask and be himself. There are so many gorgeous details that you've added. Even in the midst of Wilson's denial, he knows how much he means to House and defends House against the annoying doctor. He knows that House would let Wilson hurt him. The fact that House remembers the exact amount he owes Wilson is such a fantastic detail. It is totally something that House would do. You really have a good grasp of House's and Wilson's psyches and kept them in character.

The ending! I love how they are kind of reconciled, even though the reader has the knowledge that they have many issues to resolve. At the end of the day, Wilson is able to admit how much House means to him.

And that is just a short list of some of the things I love. In short, I love the whole fic. It is just too lovely for words. I simply can't express how much I am in love with it!
Potterworm chapter 3 . 12/4/2008
This was incredible and heartbreaking.
G.E Waldo chapter 1 . 12/2/2008
Whew! SO looking for the next part.

Nothing by you is ever pass-up-able.
28 | « Prev Page 1 2