Reviews for Fallen Hero
Anise Nadiah chapter 1 . 12/7/2011
I didn't expect john's ghost would turn up. I never hate that guy but i didn't like him either. Guess this shows how he truly love his boys. even in death he's protecting them. Whether or not he is the real deal or not, I would like to believe he is. I love how sam mention that dean is his own person. I think he's so much greater than his dad, it's just that he looks up to him so much. A really good fic indeed. and u do wrote angst beautifully.
ccase13 chapter 1 . 6/24/2011
I like that Dean finally got to see the Grand Canyon. I always wonder why so few stories are written about it. Truthfully, I thought they should have gone on the show. I also thijnk that since John did get out of hell he might haunt the boys sometimes.
LittleLurker chapter 1 . 10/19/2009
Hi again,

wow, this was another very, very good story. Well thought through and masterfully done! Just loved it, especially

the scene where Dean imagines John... or maybe John's ghost was really there(?) - it's doesn't really become clear,

not even after Dean's thought in the hospital and I liked that, too. So, what more can I say...? Well, I guess, you

should know that you made me cry with that scene, especially with Dean's reaction to when John tells him that he

broke "much earlier than (Dean) did". This:

A sob tore free, and Dean was still shaking his head as if that could somehow make the words unsaid. It was all he had clung to for the past months, since the day Castiel had pulled him up from the pits. That there was something he could have done differently. Some way he could have held out for longer, could have stopped himself from breaking. That someone stronger than him would have held out for longer. Someone like his father.

Because it would have meant that it had been his fault, and his guilt. He could deal with being at fault, and he could deal with guilt. What he didn't think he could ever deal with was that what had happened had been unavoidable, and out of his hands. If things were unavoidable, there was no guilt. There was no redemption. And worst of all, there was no reason to keep on fighting.

simply was heart-wrenching, can't find any other words for it - sorry.

But, I also loved the whole idea with their down-time trip to the Grand Canyon, which Dean only figured out

half an hour before they actually arrived at their destination and of course only because Sam kept feeding him

"sense-dulling pain medication" and due to the "strategically placed distractions in the form of roadside diners"...

Right.

...and the way you had Sam answer Dean's question about their fathers stint in hell and if they maybe had been

fast enough for their Dad to get out before hell broke him... THIS was BRILLIANT! I loved how Sam instantly knew

what Dean was really asking and how much he was struggling with his own assumption that he could have held out

longer, done something differently if he had just been stronger. My favourite Sam-Dean interaction, though heavily

featuring Sam (even though I'd swear I'm a Dean-girl through and through):

"No Dean, you obviously need to hear this. You're a good person, okay? And what happened to you in hell, what it forced you to do or become, it hasn't taken that away. I still trust you implicitly, and that doesn't depend on whether or not hell broke you, or whether or not Dad would have and could have lasted longer than you did. I know you Dean, and that's why I trust you. You just need to trust yourself."

Dean tiredly ran a hand over his face. "Make it sound easy, will ya?"

Sam laughed. "Nobody said anything about easy, Dean. Come on, as if things had ever been easy for a Winchester. Where would be the fun in that?"

You are very talented, so, please keep writing and - equally important - PLEASE keep sharing!

Thanks for another very nice "bed-time" story!

Have a good week! D.

PS:

Lastly, I will just add, that I fully agree with MKofGod and Benigma.
Linz1224 chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
Amazing story. I'm surprised you haven't gotten more reviews. I absolutely loved everything about this story.
Alyssa Halliwell chapter 1 . 7/24/2009
Loved this a lot. I loved your 'John voice', and thw whole conversation between Dean and John, whether it was just in Dean's head or not :)

I think my favourite part was:

"But here it was easy to just lean back and let all that fall away. Here, it wasn't about heaven, or hell, or a war against demons that seemed impossible to win. Here it was just him and Sam, two bottles of beer and a silence between them that was relaxed and comfortable."

And: "And it must have been the pills his brother

regularly fed him", made me laugh, though I'm not really sure why :)
Wen1 chapter 1 . 5/10/2009
that was great. Maybe John was really there, at least his gost, or else Dean would have died from blood lost.

Wen
MKofGod chapter 1 . 4/15/2009
Wow...

I don't know where to start. Aw crap, lets start with John - Spot on characterization, if I didn't already like him, this would have won me over. His love and affection for Dean was clear and obvious, but you didn't use direct characterization once - that was brilliant.

Dean was spot on as well (okay, everone was, but I love your Dean.) His suspicioun of his father, but his clear desire to see his dad again, his idolizing his father, the way he thinks of himself. I think you ripped my heart out with his self-recriminations, and you stomped on it with his reaction to John's statement that Dean lasted longer than him in Hell.

I'm not exagerating - my eyes were stinging. There were nearly tears, and that's not easy.

I LOVE your Sam'n'Dean interaction in this story. And someone finally write Sam TELLING Dean that he's worth something, instead of just thinking it. You do not know how giddy it made me to read that part. Ahem. Anyway. Your Sam in this story was enough for me to forgive the cannon Sam for his behavior. Illogical, I know, but still.

In summary - I love this story. It's fantastic, with a very good plot, heartugging interactions, and just plain good. Thank you for writing it, and thank you doubly so for posting.
windscryer chapter 1 . 1/9/2009
I'M FRIGGIN' CRYING NOW, YOU SKANK. FRICK.

I THOUGHT THE DEAN DAMAGE WAS FRIGGIN' BAD ENOUGH FOR TEARS AND *THEN* YOU THROW IN JOHN AND **THEN** YOU THROW IN SAM AND THE GRAND CANYON AND !

FRICK. TEARS MAKE THINGS BLURRY AND NOW DAISY IS FREAKING OUT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT UPSET MOMMY AND I'M BLAMING YOU. I AM *SO* BLAMING YOU.

BECAUSE IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT FOR WRITING SUCH A FREAKING AWESOME FRIGGING STORY AND MAKING ME CRY.

FRICK!

*goes to bookmark this under BAWLS FRIGGIN' EYES OUT and then find a kleenex*
zuimar chapter 1 . 12/22/2008
Jeez, can't believe that you haven't gotten more reviews for this one shot. It's amazing, the part in which Dean and John interact is really heartbreaking and the ending scene at the Grand Canyon is really great chick-flick material. Absolutely loved it!
Benigma chapter 1 . 12/7/2008
This was simply a beautiful, moving, incredibly thoughtful and well-written story. You're a gifted writer, and you present many thought-provoking points of view that always make so much sense.

I LOVE your bringing John into this story and making him fallible, as hard as that is for Dean to accept. Also loved how Sam was so perceptive in knowing exactly what Dean was struggling against.

Just one fave of many, many: "Not the man who had gone and sold his own soul for Dean, and who had left him with a legacy so hard to bear that it had nearly killed him from the inside out."

The trip to the Grand Canyon was a wonderfully uplifting touch!

Phenomenal story, but we've come to expect that from you. ;)

Thanks for writing!
Psychee chapter 1 . 12/5/2008
I very much enjoyed this story. Thanks for sharing it.
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
I enjoyed your story.

I have wondered the same thing as Dean, how did his father handle Hell.

John was a strong man, but I think Dean would have held out longer because he has always been the protector of his family. Maybe he thought for a while Sam would rescue him or just because Dean is stubborn and would have continued to defy the demons.

What a great scene between Dean and John. I love the John's spirit came to visit and help Dean.

The conversation between the brothers while they looked at the Grand Canyon was perfect. Sam's words to Dean, "... You're a good person, okay? And what happened to you in hell, what it forced you to do or become, it hasn't taken that away. I still trust you implicitly, and that doesn't depend on whether or not hell broke you, or whether or not Dad would have and could have lasted longer than you did. I know you Dean, and that's why I trust you. You just need to trust yourself."

Thanks!

I hope at some point Kripke has Sam tell Dean something like this.

Hugs are nice, but not the Winchester way, unless a brother has just come back from the dead.

Sam needs to talk to Dean like he did in "Fresh Blood" when he wanted his big brother back.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Until next time, take care.
mtee1958 chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
Wonderful story. You nailed it - Dean and his constant measurement against his father. When you put someone on such a pedestal - you will never be able to live up to those standards. They aren't realistic. I prefer to believe that John DID break (as you stated) and that Dean took longer and that's what attracted the attention of the angels.

Sam is the voice of reason.

Great story.
kalina-blue chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
Wow, this oneshot has completely blown me away. You have Sam and especially Dean perfectly in character. Dean's struggle to deal with what has happened in hell was done very realistic and believable. And I just loved how he was seeing his dad while being injured, as well as that he had to talk about it with Sam in the end. You are a very talented writer.
Maz101 chapter 1 . 12/3/2008
A good read with lovely hurt! And yeah I'm with you in thinking this is something that would prey on Dean's mind - it must have occured to most of us, considering John was down below for longer. Crucially I think Dean's resistance is what attracted Castiel but we'll have to wait for more on that.