Reviews for The Engima that is Dean Winchester
TheFennecFox chapter 1 . 11/26/2012
Poor Dean :( 3
Sci F.I. Warper chapter 1 . 9/16/2010
He darn well better not be going back to hell! Interesting little fic. I love how Sam has to explain Dean to Cas and still it takes the angel a while to get it. :( Poor Dean though. I love him to death, but he's an idiot sometimes. Still, if he wasn't such a self-sacrificing idiot heaven only knows what Alistair could have turned him into...
Rika chapter 1 . 12/29/2009
OMG! LOVE IT!
butterflybabe23 chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
Fantastic! Really great I loved it!
bhoney chapter 1 . 1/15/2009
I've been avoiding (like the plague!) stories about Dean's time in Hell because really...it depresses me. But, I thought I'd give yours a try and I was very pleasantly surprised. Lots of good stuff here.

This was so heartbreaking: "He’s seeking redemption when it’s not necessary. He has already been redeemed." I think we all do that, at times, and it's so sad to see Dean doing it.

And this was a stunning insight from Sammy: “Now, I know what he meant about that slippery slope. He’s been there and doesn’t want me to fall like he thinks he has.” Nice that you brought that out.

This struck me as a powerful line: "You were driven to the end of human endurance, beyond it."

And this was just heartbreaking, and yet managed to make me feel a little better about the whole torturing people thing: "Dean was begging forgiveness of the souls he was torturing, knowing he would get no absolution, but needing to keep the threads of his humanity and his sanity intact by reaching out to them." Oh, Dean. *tear*

And YES-I wish they'd make this clear on the show, that he's NOT going back (rather than keep threatening him with it): “Dean, you’ve been redeemed and forgiven so no, you won’t be sent back to Hell.”

Nice job!
ricksweet chapter 1 . 1/1/2009
I loved it.

It's a theory of mine that the reason Castiel doesn't take Dean's memory of hell is so he can remember what hell is like, and he'll fight that much harder to prevent it from coming to earth.

That and he's not an angel that'll perch/baby Dean.

I enjoyed this story (*Is a rabid Cas fan*) thanks for writing it
staceycj chapter 1 . 12/12/2008
I agree, I think Dean is scared to go back to hell, but that he expects it and he thinks that he deserves it for what he did down there. Great story!
RedDragen chapter 1 . 12/6/2008
I enjoyed reading that short story,
alwaysateen chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
Awesome story, as usual. :)

Dean is so hard on himself... All the words in the world, even from God himself wouldn't help him forgive himself.

Thanks for writing a story with Castiel, he's such an intriguing character. :)
Aimed mischief chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
Nice ficlet. I liked it. _
hermitme chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
"Dean just nodded and Castiel could have sworn that Dean had looked almost disappointed"

Only Dean. :D Good one shot. I think you are right though, it will take more than Castiel voicing that Dean is forgiven for Dean to forgive himself.
Ani-maniac494 chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
"He felt Dean’s push and being in a human host, subject to its limitations, he began to fall, but as he did, he watched Dean take the sweep of the blade of the demon’s sword to his shoulder and just as quickly he imparted the death blow to the demon with Ruby’s knife."

I so love the idea of Dean automatically trying to protect Castiel, and I can so picture Dean not letting something like being STABBED stop him from taking down a demon, lol. Great action scene!

"Dean looked over and grinned a little. He knew that Castiel wasn’t being harsh.

“You’re welcome,” Dean said back."

This line makes me smile. As always, you do an amazing job capturing Dean's voice.

"“Dean is…hard on himself. He has expectations, high expectations and when he doesn’t meet them he thinks he’s failed. When he agreed to Alistair’s terms, he felt he betrayed everything he believed in. By torturing those other souls, he became a monster in his own eyes.”"

So true! Protecting people is so much a part of who he is, and failing like that, he sees it as betraying what is most important.

"“And you? What do you see?”

Sam looked over at his sleeping brother and smiled.

“My brother.”"

Such a beautiful, simple line that says so much. :)

"“Not in his eyes. Probably never will be in his eyes. He felt he should have been stronger, that he shouldn’t have given in. No amount of talk will convince him otherwise. No amount of forgiveness, not even from me. He’ll just keep driving himself harder and harder, saving people. There’ll be no amount of saving that will ever free him of the guilt, but it will help him deal, live with what he’s done.”"

Again, so true. I think it will take a miracle for him to ever really forgive himself.

"“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry!” Dean cried as he kept moving his hands in ways that Castiel couldn’t figure out. “SHUT UP ALISTAIR! You may have won by getting me here, but what I do is my own choice, you don’t get that. I WON’T give you that!”"

*heart breaks* I can so imagine him reacting this way, giving in, but always somehow still resisting.

"“You should have heard them, Cas…I…” Dean’s voice was cracking with the strain of his emotions. “I…didn’t give them compassion. All I did was give them false hope. Telling them I was sorry, it was all just to make me feel better. Not them.”"

As I've said before, I think this is SO something Dean would say, and I can picture him reacting exactly that way, refusing to be comforted, always thinking the worst of himself.

"“Tell me one thing, Cas…am I going back to the pit? Is this just a ‘stay of execution’?”

Castiel looked into Dean’s eyes and was shocked by the question.

Dean just nodded and Castiel could have sworn that Dean had looked almost disappointed. Dean then closed his eyes and fell back asleep."

The ending is AMAZING. Poor Dean... *chill runs down spine*

Incredible, incredible work as always! :)

Ani-maniac494
sylia91 chapter 1 . 12/3/2008
Great fic as always. I think it's interesting that although Dean portrays himself as easy going, simple or even a slacker jokester he has never wavered in his values and beliefs whereas even John and Sam who seem to be such serious, moral men have slowly over the course of their mission of vengeance compromised their ideals with rationalizing that the ends justify the means. We now see a much more angst ridden than apparently carefree Dean compared to season 1 but other than maybe being more open to the gray areas of the Supernatural with 'good' vampires and ruthless angels, he still is the same Dean we first met whose mission was to save people and hunt things. Sorry, sort of got heavy handed in the end their but loved your piece anyways and it got me thinking.