Reviews for Arrested Ancestry
MindAsylum chapter 2 . 12/14/2008
I always love it when people take a game with a rushed, unimaginative plot (DMC 3 was the only exception...where the fuck did those awesome writers go?) and then actually do something interesting with it. I especially like how you took Kyrie-perhaps the most neglected DMC character of all-and made her into an authentic character, especially considering what little you had to go on in the game.

One of the things I appreciated about this fic is that it gives the DMC universe enough just depth to tell a story in. Your description of the rank system in what remains of the Order of Knights was a step in the right direction, but I vote to take it a step further. I'd always wondered how alert ordinary people are of the existence of devils, and how that affects their lives. Capcom, sadly putting little emphasis on immersion in the DMC series, never shows us this facet, and being that these are the people that Nero and the knights are trying to protect, it might be a good idea to show a few here and there, if only in passing, as well as to be more attentive to the setting in general. I know it seems like a moot point to talk about the setting when the characters concerned are near-invincible badasses who can cut down scores of demons without breaking a sweat, but as a storytelling tool it could prove very useful for atmosphere, character development (maybe a certain type of setting could remind Nero of “that day” when he got the devil bringer? Just an idea), and especially in creating a sense of special awareness, which is vital when writing the sorts of crazy, over the top fight scenes that are common with DMC.

Finally, the plot potential here is delicious, so try to keep up the momentum and keep us guessing. And remember, we all love surprises!
IsaacSapphire chapter 2 . 12/14/2008
I think I like where you're going with this.

One thing that bugged me about the fourth game is that Dante changes tune, almost mid-sentence, and gives Nero Yamato for no apparent reason. Holes like that just beg to be filled (Oops, dirty pun) and it looks like you're working up to that.

I also like your take on Kyrie here, although if she's such the expert, wouldn't she already be familiar with all the books Nero's flipping through?
Devil Rebel chapter 2 . 12/13/2008
cool, keep it up
kit chapter 2 . 12/13/2008
Neat, Nero isn't Vergil is he ? Or can Vergil just influence Nero because of Yamato and his devil bringer ?

Since it has just been a decade or so since Devil May Cry 3, I don't see Nero as Vergil's son. If Nero is just 10 or so years younger than the twins, he could be a half brother or a cousin of theirs.

I do like seeing Dante as an older brother, he can have someone who can give as much trouble as he gave Vergil. But Dante being Dante he loves it and just loving annoys Nero. Somehow I can see Dante actually finding it funny that he is related to Nero, while Nero just curses.
LadyTigerFuyuko chapter 2 . 12/13/2008
Again, good writing. Your descriptions are spot on for giving enough depth to get a rough image and draw from there as need be. And your characterizations are still top too, particularly Nero. I'm very interested to see where you take this plot-wise, particularly the Faceless Woman. That intrigues me, possibly more than Vergil taking control of the 'half-pint'.
LadyTigerFuyuko chapter 1 . 12/10/2008
I like what you have so far for plot setup, and your character descriptions and attitudes seem spot on to me. Good to see Kyrie as more than a flat 'help me' sort of tool. Love your dialogues, too, they're pretty entertaining. Keep writing, your work is lovely. :)
Devil Rebel chapter 1 . 12/6/2008
cool, keep it up
Jack Fetch chapter 1 . 12/5/2008
Great chapter. Very intriguing.

This is going to be a het fic right? Too much Dante/Nero drivel floating around...

By the way, the only error: it's 'kaput' not 'caput'

Great chapter, looking forward to updates.

Please? :D
Dancing Sparda chapter 1 . 12/5/2008
Lovin' it. Absolutely, truely lovin' it. XD Write moar!
Setesh chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
Yay Vergil's back! nice Job, I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.
IsaacSapphire chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
Nice. Good to see the gang (well, except for Lady) all present and in character.

Particularly liked the detail of Nero using the Devil Bringer to handle hot pans and the Nero/Kyrie interplay.
DustBunnyQueen chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
Son of a cantakerous whore? I LOVE IT! I am SO adding that to my repertroir! Great story so far, I hope you update soon!
IVIaedhros chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
It looks like you might actually be able to redeem the teenage-angst fest that was DMC4. I eagerly await to see where you go with this very interesting plot bunny.
88 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6