Reviews for The Case of the Deceased Pugilist
Azolean chapter 7 . 7/30/2012
Given the fact that there has been no update in over three years, I find little hope that there will be more.

You're making me want to whine like a little brat. Since I am, however, above all that; I will, instead, throw a temper tantrum.

More! More! More! More! MORE!
InMourningForAthelstan chapter 7 . 4/11/2012
That doesn't sound good.
InMourningForAthelstan chapter 6 . 4/11/2012
Who is she?
InMourningForAthelstan chapter 5 . 4/11/2012
It's always great when Wiggins shows up. That pork roast of Mrs. Hudson's made me hungry.
InMourningForAthelstan chapter 4 . 4/11/2012
Mycroft needs to be more flexible.
InMourningForAthelstan chapter 3 . 4/11/2012
Yikes! Holmes had a close call.
InMourningForAthelstan chapter 2 . 4/11/2012
Hang in there, Watson.
InMourningForAthelstan chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
Hang in there, Holmes.
IrregularHonour chapter 7 . 10/25/2009
Your villainess reminds me of a movie of Basil Rathbone's... the Woman in Green, I think it was. She was handsome and blonde too. (It's funny, but I never DID go for that type!)
Tristan-the-Dreamer chapter 7 . 2/25/2009
Bah! Finally I get to reviewing. .

I have to admit I am unfamiliar with both "Who's who" and the commonplace book, so I'm a bit lost off the start. I do think that Lady Murray, to be safe, should have ripped her name out the "Who's who" book, and stolen the whole Common Place book rather than waste time trying to decipher Holmes' code. XD

This could easily just be me, but I don't see what Watson finds to be surprising in Holmes' saying that Tom was accused of murder. It seems a simple deduction to conclude that Tom was accused of a murder, and later he was himself murdered.

Gotta say though, I fancy your description of Holmes "smiling around the stem of his pipe." XD

You show Holmes' character very subtly through his dialogue, which I admire greatly. For examples, his "casual" way of reminding Watson that he is an excellent boxer (you're too modest, really, Holmes) and the way he told Watson there was no need to tell him of the case before, as he'd not solved it. Of course he wouldn't let Watson in on a failure! :)

Not close friends...really? I suppose not, perhaps, but Holmes is showing an awful lot of concern for his former boxing colleague. Is he hiding something...or is it just Holmes being Holmes. I can only wonder for now, but that was a very good bit, where his eyes and mouth told all and their eyes "didn't quite meet."

Hmm...so it seems the lady hired Tom to kill the chap, then had Tom knocked off. But the thing that makes me scratch my chin is, if she was worried about Tom squealing, worried enough to have him bumped off like an ugly lamp off a table edge, why didn't she just kill her husband herself? Otherwise, next thing she'll be having Bates killed. I don't know, seems not the best way to go about committing a murder...

Gosh, bit of sadness at the end of this chapter...he could not stay forever...the old hound must leave...wa!

Buahahaha! What a cliffhanger...carry on,carry on!
Silvre Musgrave chapter 7 . 2/19/2009
This has been sitting in my inbox for awhile, I'm so sorry that I didn't get to read it until now.

GAH, cliffhanger! I can't wait to see where this leads off to, it's so exciting! Mr. Holmes, you'd better not get hurt again! :(
reginavictoria chapter 7 . 2/10/2009
Intriguing... can't wait to hear more. I didn't really catch any inaccuracies, but heaven knows I'm not the best authority on that.:) In my opinion, remaining true to the characters and over all tone of the stories is the most important thing,anyway, which you definitely do.

As for sitting and talking, I always like good Holmes dialogue, so not a problem for me ;)!
Westron Wynde chapter 7 . 2/10/2009
'Thunder Tom' - oh boy, I LOVE it! There's a stage name to conjure with. A shame his skill didn't live up to his billing.

Is this the line you mean - "Don’t be offended, my dear fellow,” he added hastily, “you know that I am quite impersonal in such criticism" - with a slight change of 'offended' instead of 'hurt' as in RETI?
KCS chapter 7 . 2/10/2009
Hm. I couldn't find the line from RETI, though in my defense I've probably not read the story in at least a year since it's not one of my favorites...thought I recognised a line from 3GAB but I guess I"m wrong on that score too.

Anyhow, I was so glad to see this updated! Wonderful chapter; you have a way of making the sit-down discussion scenes anything but boring or old - I love them.

But that's an ominous ending indeed! *worries*
bluedragon1836 chapter 6 . 1/11/2009