Reviews for Natural Silence
Suzanne chapter 1 . 12/6/2008
Let me add my most sincere thanks to those of the others'. You write them, the way they interact, their gestures and all, very credibly. Yes, just like with the other responses, I could see it happening exactly this way. Excellent writing! (My personal fav line was at the end - "Yeah?" Hardcastle asked, knowing once again what was coming." I just love how well they got to know each other. Beautiful!
cheride chapter 1 . 12/6/2008
Oh, no, there can never be too many takers on any challenge, especially when the results turn out as beautifully satisfying as this one.

This is a great look at Hardcstle doing his best to offer needed support without trying to push so hard that the guy needing the support would close up for good. But I really like the observation that he knows McC pretty well at this point, and he does know exactly how to proceed to best help his friend.

Oh, and "Judge, it was a _Studebaker_" is absolutely classic McCormick!
L.M.Lewis chapter 1 . 12/5/2008
Another take, another approach, and a very valid one, it seems to me. It's Hardcastle as sensible counselor, showing a great deal of insight as he feels his way in through the silence. It's one of the hardest conditions to tackle-when a friend withdraws and the problem isn't offering any handles to work with. Here Hardcastle isn't his usual blustery self but, hey, the guy was a judge-the human condition was his stock-in-trade for a couple of decades. The dialog is completely natural-Mark's apology is particularly apt:

"Mark shrugged and came to sit on the edge of the other bed. "I don’t know. Being such a pain this past week; dragging you out here. Stuff," he trailed off, keeping his back to the jurist."

That just works for me, as does the rest of this piece. Very satisfying.
Georgi1961 chapter 1 . 12/5/2008
I just continue to be amazed at the quality of writing...

This story is a treasure! Milt finding a way into the conversation in a safe and helpful way. Really, the safest was to let out the air in a balloon is very very slowly. That's what he seemed to do. Very intuitive.

When did Milt learn to be so subtle? What a guy...and again, just beautiful, spot-on writing! You really know these friends!
lwalkerritzcom.net chapter 1 . 12/5/2008
What a pleasure it is to read your pieces! You've got the guys nailed; movements, expressions, words all are just _them_. And I love your storylines; completely believeable, beautifully written. I am so glad you've begun posting your work. Please don't stop now!
302pilot chapter 1 . 12/5/2008
Yep. I can see it happening that way. I can hear the judge's calming voice and feel his patience, knowing that the conversation would be an apology and that it would be coming sooner than later. He really does know him pretty well by now, and in that knowing, really feels for the kid. They are so very lucky to have each other.

Thanks for a really nice take on the challenge.

CB
JeanneZ84 chapter 1 . 12/5/2008
Hey Jaz,

Great story.

No you never can have to many of these stories of missing pieces on any challenge.

They are simply all just wonderful.

I liked How Milt waited for Mark to talk patiently but he finally couldn't wait anymore so he had to encourage him.

Milt really wasnt forcing him to have diinner with Sonny Daye he did just tell him to sleep on it.

I liked how Milt Brought up his fifth Birthday and that finally got Mark to talk.

You do wonderful writing.

I could see everything going on.

I just loved it.