Reviews for Year One, The Trial of Shadows
Draco711 chapter 1 . 7/16
Hmm I prefer the English names because I had a tough time putting the characters to the Japanese names. But great first chapter nonetheless
Soul of Innocence - Aamuet chapter 43 . 5/28
Well that's...an interesting pairing! XD
Soul of Innocence - Aamuet chapter 28 . 5/26
Soooooooooo...I've been reading this AU and very much enjoying it, and I just have a question...will the Supreme King stuff play a part at all, in any of the Years?
WanderingMagician chapter 1 . 3/16
A crossover between the Manga and the Anime? Huh. Nice.
Guest chapter 34 . 12/24/2015
Aren't junko and momoe in blue? I just noticed at chapter 34.
Guest chapter 33 . 12/19/2015
I think judai and asuka should have tied
Siggimondo chapter 16 . 11/28/2015
I thought Obsidian couldn't be destroyed by an effect that didn't target it...
Nox Descious chapter 50 . 7/18/2015
Well, I must say I regret putting off reading this for so long. This is most impressive. I usually avoid the GX fanfiction department since it's hard to find a good GX story, but this one wasn't just good. It was excellent!

You did what I did in my Zexal story. You corrected the majority of the problems in the original anime, while also improving on what as already good. I would say that the biggest improvement is that all the characters MATTER, and they are all fleshed out and given their own backstories and character development, as well as plenty of opportunities for them to shine. You mix the elements of the manga with the anime very well, and nothing from the manga feels out of place here.

I would say my favorite parts of the story were Asuka winning the tournament instead of Judai, and Fubuki's reinvented dark identity as the Terror of Death. You were right. Nightshroud/Darkness was a wuss. (At least until season 4 and even then he wasn't all that great)

Now that I read your author's notes at the end, I can see why you chose to genderbend a few of the characters, and for the most part, what you did for them changed the characters for the better. I especially like what you did with Ryoko. You are correct. Having a woman outrank every male student in terms of skill does create a lot of resentment from them due to wounded masculine pride, although I disagree with your decision to give her a Dark Magician deck instead of the Cyber Dragons she originally used. Was it because you don't like the Cyber Dragons, or some other reason?

The villains were ten times better than the Shadow Riders of the anime. They seemed more like a legitimate threat, and how they rose up gave each of their hosts a lot of character, how they played on the insecurities and fears of their hosts, including Ryoko, to possess them. That was way better than, OH villain of the day shows up and then Judai kicks his/her ass, and if someone else duels him/her, then the Shadow Rider just keeps winning until Judai shows up. Taking Judai out of the spotlight helped me deal with him better since I hated him in the show, and it was a welcome relief to see other characters take care of the villains and have their heroic moments.

Overall, this story is well written, well executed, and very entertaining. I give it a huge round of applause, and I will move on to reading the sequel which I am sure I will enjoy reading just as much as this story.
Plasma57 chapter 50 . 10/16/2014
Excellent story, please update soon.
AspergianStoryteller chapter 29 . 9/25/2014
The anime probably didn't go into detail about PTSD stuff because it's aimed at kids and focused on duelling, but older fans can assume it happened off screen I guess. Then again, in Season 2 Fubiki did talk about his experiences as Night Shroud when he duelled Ryo...
AspergianStoryteller chapter 25 . 9/24/2014
Yeah, I thought it was cool how they were more equal in ability (the GX manga and in this duel). Have you read the climax duel at the end of the manga? (Not the very last, the one against the antagonist.) Pretty sweet, huh?
AspergianStoryteller chapter 8 . 8/30/2014
I like how Asuka used other cards to help Juudai learn to think practically. Clever.
AspergianStoryteller chapter 6 . 8/30/2014
Interesting, the idea that the winner of a duel has the right to inflict a penalty game. That's only true when both duelists agree to it. Juudai was right to scold Misa.
LoveGlutton chapter 49 . 7/14/2014
That... Was beautiful
LoveGlutton chapter 44 . 7/14/2014
I really think he should've won that one